Author: Subject: Trade protest change
Admin
Administrator

Rating 93902
Registered 8-25-2006

Mood: Sim-Tastic

posted on 11-16-2011 at 10:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Trade protest change

Effective immediately, anyone initiating a protest will need to enter a specific reason for the protest on the protest page. These go to Admin for review. A protest cannot be initiated with a blank reason; this will prevent the instances that have been reported of people accidentally clicking on the protest link and accidentally clicking the protest button. Now that you must type an actual reason to the Admin there can be no accidents.

There have been some users who seem to protest every trade involving certain owners. Although protests are anonymous to the league, the protest initiators are tracked, and if there is a pattern of protest abuse, the abuser will lose his ability to protest.

Protests are not part of the game simulation. They are an administrative process outside of the game for dealing with extreme situations. If a trade is just uneven, it is NOT an extreme situation. A protest should only be lodged if there is a specific reason to believe an owner is in collusion with another or otherwise acting in bad faith.

--Chris

To help us serve you better, please use the message boards for all questions or problems. u2u should NEVER be used. If it is something of a private nature, please post in the Support forum and mark it as private. This helps us save time and money, which ultimately leads to more improvements to the game and the lowest prices possible. The Support forum is always read before u2us. u2us sent to Admin will be reposted to Support and addressed after issues posted properly.

What's the Deal with the Admin account?

Discounted teams in the multi-season private leagues available. Signup for a team today, or see which teams are available, at
The Private & Speed League Team List

dirtdevil
League Commish

Rating 30927
Registered 11-5-2004
Location north of the 49th

Mood: tired. just tired.

posted on 11-16-2011 at 04:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
i think this is a great adjustment. hopefully it eliminates the remaining problems with protests.

tworoosters
Legend

Rating 27427
Registered 9-30-2004
Location Vancouver, British Columbia

Mood: Surf's Up

posted on 11-16-2011 at 05:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Great idea, I still think/hope most of these protests are due to newer owners who don't understand player values however.

My four leagues are all pretty much veteran owners and there have been a total of two protests since the process was automated, one got to voting stage and the other was just a "spite" protest that went nowhere.

barterer2002
League Commish

Rating 28668
Registered 7-30-2004
Location Chester County Pennsylvania

Mood: Upwardly Mobile

posted on 11-16-2011 at 05:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hopefully this will fix the problem.
tles
MVP

Rating 1318
Registered 1-29-2003
Location Massachusetts

posted on 11-16-2011 at 05:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If there was to be a next step, maybe having the protests NOT anonymous would help. If the league knew who initiated the first protest, maybe the protester would think twice about casting a protest.

Todd - Chicago Blue Sox- Joe D Dynasty League- original owner: Updated 1/15/17

Career Regular Season Record: 8,498-4,948 (.632)
Career Playoff Record: 312-257 (.548)
Playoff Series Record: 57-44 (.564)

9 HOF pitchers, 16 HOF hitters, 25 total HOF-ers
83 seasons - 60 playoff appearances... 40 American League Titles

17 World Series Championships
88+ wins 69 straight seasons (the streak is over)
102.3 ave wins per regular season

WORLD SERIES TITLES (17)- 1971, 1972, 1978, 1981, 1982, 1989, 1990, 1993, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2012, 2023, 2027, 2029, 2030, 2032

CaseyStengel
League Commish

Rating 8298
Registered 8-17-2003
Location Portland, Oregon

Mood: RIP Yogi... you made baseball fun!

posted on 11-16-2011 at 06:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Admin
There have been some users who seem to protest every trade involving certain owners. Although protests are anonymous to the league, the protest initiators are tracked, and if there is a pattern of protest abuse, the abuser will lose his ability to protest.
--Chris
tles - I think this will take care of the problem.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ODX2aVuSUjs/VQiqwyU_fEI/AAAAAAAAyh0/usTO1dLY-2E/s1600/87160863-two-wolves.jpg
Wolves, Orlando Cepeda League

http://beta.simdynasty.com/images/sd_ws_logo_24-400.jpg
1966-AAA, 1978-AA, 1996-AA, 2010-AAA, 2044-AA, 2045-AAA, 2060-A, 2063-AAA, 2116-AAA, 2126-Majors, 2143-AA, 2146-AAA, 2161-AAA

http://www.simdynasty.com/images/sd_al_logo_24-400.jpg
1966-AAA, 1978-AA, 1980-AAA, 1985-AAA, 1996-AA, 2006-A, 2010-AAA, 2041-AA, 2044-AA, 2045-AAA, 2060-A, 2063-AAA, 2080-AAA, 2099-AAA, 2108-A, 2116-AAA, 2119-AAA, 2126-Majors, 2143-AA, 2146-AAA, 2161-AAA

Playoffs (1958, 1966, 1974, 1975, 1978, 1980. 1985, 1993, 1996, 1998, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2017, 2023, 2027, 2029, 2033, 2037, 2038, 2041, 2044, 2045, 2046, 2050, 2054, 2060, 2062, 2063, 2064, 2066, 2075, 2080, 2088, 2090, 2098, 2099, 2101, 2108, 2109, 2110, 2116, 2119, 2126, 2130, 2135, 2143, 2146, 2161, 2164)

http://mylipstickkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/fancy-horizontal-line2.jpg?w=640

"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical." - Yogi Berra
Please send u2u messages to Casey Stengel

Retired Teams: New York Yankees (Yogi Berra League); New York Nationals (Babe Ruth League); Baltimore Skyhawks (Barry Bonds League); New York Highlanders (Duke Snider League); St. Louis Cardinals (George Van Haltren League); Chicago Mobsters (Short Term Beta); Brooklyn SkyHawks (Mordecai Brown League)

redcped
League Commish

Rating 26580
Registered 10-31-2002

Mood: "Just when I thought that I was out they pull me back in." -- Michael Corleone

posted on 11-16-2011 at 06:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
As someone who had initially been trying to provide objective analysis of protested deals and got overwhelmed by the volume, I'll just say "Hallelujah" because that was not going to work long term.

Now if I'm seeing a protest, I'll know it might be worth looking into.

--Jason (U2U to redcped)
Brooklyn Trolley Cars, Mickey Mantle League (1951-)
Brooklyn Blind Bats, Tony Conigliaro League (1950-)
Washington Bureaus, Roger Clemens League (1950-)
Philadelphia EarthQuakers, Owner Emeritus, Jackie Robinson League (1950-69)

Admin
Administrator

Rating 93902
Registered 8-25-2006

posted on 11-16-2011 at 06:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by CaseyStengel
Quote:
--Chris
tles - I think this will take care of the problem.

They were never truly anonymous from Admin before but finding out who initiated it took digging, making it hard to see patterns. Now it's all there at a glance.

-Chris

To help us serve you better, please use the message boards for all questions or problems. u2u should NEVER be used. If it is something of a private nature, please post in the Support forum and mark it as private. This helps us save time and money, which ultimately leads to more improvements to the game and the lowest prices possible. The Support forum is always read before u2us. u2us sent to Admin will be reposted to Support and addressed after issues posted properly.

Discounted teams in the multi-season private leagues available. Signup for a team today, or see which teams are available, at

minnesotamike
All Star

Rating 931
Registered 7-24-2007
Member Is Online

Mood: Not Set

posted on 11-17-2011 at 05:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
great idea, chris

yes

yankeejim2323
Hall of Famer

Rating 3142
Registered 11-9-2005
Location Memphis, Tennessee

Mood: You take the good you take the bad, you take them both and there you have. The facts of life!

posted on 11-17-2011 at 05:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Im glad. This has definitely been interuptive the last 2 months in the MCL. Thank you for fixing this problem. I believe in the long run that the work load will not increase for Admin but instead decrease because now people have to be held accountable for their protests.

1971 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!
1973 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!
1978 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
1980 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!!
1983 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!!!
1993 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!!!!
1995 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
2002 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!
2021 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!

SnakeX3
Hall of Famer

Rating 4391
Registered 12-14-2008

Mood: Cheering on the Cleveland Tankers.

posted on 11-18-2011 at 09:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Better late then never.
rorys
Double A

Rating 25
Registered 10-9-2010

posted on 11-19-2011 at 12:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Lets all have fun and furget all the protest it's only a game don't take yourselfs soo serius enjoy life thats what life it's all about Good Luck to every one this season and the rest of the seasons that are yet to come .
ruggs26
MVP

Rating 2419
Registered 9-22-2003
Location Lenawee County, MI

Mood: GO BLUE!!! GO TIGERS!!! GO WINGS!!!! LIONS?????

posted on 11-21-2011 at 01:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Effective immediately, anyone initiating a protest will need to enter a specific reason for the protest on the protest page. These go to Admin for review. A protest cannot be initiated with a blank reason; this will prevent the instances that have been reported of people accidentally clicking on the protest link and accidentally clicking the protest button. Now that you must type an actual reason to the Admin there can be no accidents.

Protests are not part of the game simulation. They are an administrative process outside of the game for dealing with extreme situations. If a trade is just uneven, it is NOT an extreme situation. A protest should only be lodged if there is a specific reason to believe an owner is in collusion with another or otherwise acting in bad faith.

--Chris

If I had a BRAVO smiley I would insert it here.

KCLV
MVP

Rating 2189
Registered 7-8-2005
Location Hot Vegas

Mood: none

posted on 11-22-2011 at 06:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
this is great. There was a period in my league of pure abusive, collusive and uneducated use of the trade protest. They got away with it. Whoever said, 'better late than never' is dang right.
I'd love to go back and look at some of the trades that were protested...but thou cannot speak of such actions.
Thank goodness for some relief!!

Braylon Edwards is junk

KCLV
MVP

Rating 2189
Registered 7-8-2005
Location Hot Vegas

posted on 11-22-2011 at 06:58 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:

--Chris

This is so 'money', it's sick.

Braylon Edwards is junk

swslingers
All Star

Rating 548
Registered 1-8-2008

posted on 11-23-2011 at 03:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Happy to say I didn't even know there was a problem... our league hasn't had a single protest that I'm aware of since the new system came in.

However, I am supposing, Chris, that when you say "just uneven" is not cause for protest that means a little uneven because in my book a lopsided or greatly uneven trade fits the definition of extreme.

KCLV
MVP

Rating 2189
Registered 7-8-2005
Location Hot Vegas

posted on 12-2-2011 at 09:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
further explained that trades should be protestd only if there is a thought of possible collusion or acting in bad faith.

Braylon Edwards is junk

jchoopz
All Star

Rating 928
Registered 4-5-2004

posted on 12-2-2011 at 05:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Can the 3rd party who also evalutates the trades see the comments? For example, a major reason I protested a recent trade (other than it being a little unbalanced) is one that someone outside of the league might not actually be aware of. I'd give more details (I know it might be confusing without an example) but I know we aren't allowed to publicly comment on trades so I want to be cautious there. Just curious if the person giving the evaluation would be able to see this and be aware of it. Hopefully I'm making sense here.
dirtdevil
League Commish

Rating 30927
Registered 11-5-2004

posted on 12-2-2011 at 08:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
i know that bart has asked for that ability. i don't know if it's been arranged or not yet.

barterer2002
League Commish

Rating 28668
Registered 7-30-2004
Location Chester County Pennsylvania

Mood: Upwardly Mobile

posted on 12-2-2011 at 08:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yes, they show up in my email when I get notification that there is a protest (new this week for me)
redcped
League Commish

Rating 26580
Registered 10-31-2002

Mood: "Just when I thought that I was out they pull me back in." -- Michael Corleone

posted on 12-2-2011 at 08:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by barterer2002
Yes, they show up in my email when I get notification that there is a protest (new this week for me)

Ditto. I see them now as well. Very helpful, because I can tell whether it's something I should jump on right away.

--Jason (U2U to redcped)
Brooklyn Trolley Cars, Mickey Mantle League (1951-)
Brooklyn Blind Bats, Tony Conigliaro League (1950-)
Washington Bureaus, Roger Clemens League (1950-)
Philadelphia EarthQuakers, Owner Emeritus, Jackie Robinson League (1950-69)

SnakeX3
Hall of Famer

Rating 4391
Registered 12-14-2008

Mood: Cheering on the Cleveland Tankers.

posted on 12-27-2011 at 04:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Chris - I'm curious if the stats you accumulate on trade protests support the widespread opinion that these changes were effective and if you see any further tweaks in the near future.
Admin
Administrator

Rating 93902
Registered 8-25-2006

posted on 12-31-2011 at 09:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I certainly intend to make tweaks. There have been some definite trends:

- Overall, protests are down, but successful protests are up (in relation to the number of protests) indicating that the protests we are getting are "more valid".

- A lot of protest activity has moved from Dynasty leagues to the free leagues.

There will certainly be further tweaks in the system, though, as in the last week or two there has been a sudden surge in protest activity that I have not been able to fully analyze yet.

--Chris

HumYai
All Star

Rating 912
Registered 1-14-2005

Mood: If a am right, you need to kiss my Arsehole; If I am wrong, I will wash it first.

posted on 3-21-2012 at 12:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I find it very interesting since I have a trade being protested right now.

It is a CP trade allowable by rule but protested due to an owner not understanding them. Reading that trades are only allowed to be protested for collusion or bad faith, I fail to understand why it was even allowed to happen with the rules update.

IF my many years playing sim result in my being a cheater by making a CP trade, why allow them at all?

dirtdevil
League Commish

Rating 30927
Registered 11-5-2004

posted on 3-21-2012 at 03:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
they aren't "allowed". neither are they "banned". they kind of exist outside of the site rules. some leagues have specific rules preventing them, some do not. some have a gentleman's agreement not to pursue them, some do not. some leagues encourage them, some do not. in no league are they enforceable if someone reneges. because they aren't dealt with specifically under the rules though some owners, especially newer ones, don't know anything about them and so react badly when they see what appears to them to be a prospect being exchanged for nothing (on the way back) or for less than "value" (on the way over). as i think has been said in the other thread, many of the protesters do not feel that by initating a protest they are in effect calling someone(s) out as a cheat. it is a problem, to be sure.

<<<  1    2    3  >> Share/Save/Bookmark

Go To Top