Sim Dynasty Message Board Last active: Never

0 Members Chatting
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites

Author: Subject: What's going on with the site?
Admin
Administrator

Rating 94092
Registered 8-25-2006

Mood: Sim-Tastic

posted on 8-5-2016 at 05:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
What's going on with the site?

You've probably noticed that we've had intermittent problems with the site either missing games or being unavailable, leading to the last couple of days that have kept us constantly rerunning missed games.

Sim Dynasty is 15 years old now. We've grown quite a bit and upgraded a couple of times, but the server the database is on is still quite old by computer standards. As we were making the decision to replace it, last week it helped make the decision for us by having a memory failure (that was the long outage last week).

So we've been working with our host to prep the server for migration. The tasks necessary to do this are usually run overnight in our maintenance period, but some of them have run long causing intermittent failures in leagues with early morning games. Also, one of the jobs wasn't set up as efficiently as it could, and that led to the cascading failures of the last few days.

Fortunately, our host identified and fixed the problem causing those cascades, and I have caught up all the affected leagues that I could find. We are still on the older server, as we batten down the last few hatches for the move. Once we have a final move schedule, I'll announce it and there will be some overnight downtime associated with it, and no doubt we might hit a few snags as we get up and running on the new hardware, but it should make our Sim experience much smoother and more reliable.

The last few days have also helped me find some flaws in our underlying processes (stress brings out the bugs!), so I'll be doing some work to fix that, so hopefully the result will be a system that will automatically catch up when possible for temporary issues that may cause missed games.

Thank you all so much for your patience through the stress of the last couple of days. I know that while I've been tending to emergencies there have been some untended support tickets, I'll be working to catch up that backlog ASAP and then keep the support response time fast. We'll do our best to make the remainder of this process as smooth as possible.

Chris

To help us serve you better, please use the message boards for all questions or problems. u2u should NEVER be used. If it is something of a private nature, please post in the Support forum and mark it as private. This helps us save time and money, which ultimately leads to more improvements to the game and the lowest prices possible. The Support forum is always read before u2us. u2us sent to Admin will be reposted to Support and addressed after issues posted properly.

What's the Deal with the Admin account?

Discounted teams in the multi-season private leagues available. Signup for a team today, or see which teams are available, at
The Private & Speed League Team List

Jonathan8
All Star

Rating 828
Registered 10-9-2010

Mood: Not Set

posted on 8-5-2016 at 02:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Your efforts are appreciated. Thank you.
Jonathan

yes

itzaboy
All Star

Rating 579
Registered 7-14-2003
Location Ohio

Mood: http://simdynasty.ideascale.com/akira/dtd/9378-3581

posted on 8-5-2016 at 02:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Wonder if all this has affected my teams, I've lost every game since this all started?
But great job keeping us informed as to whats going on!! And yes, Your efforts are appreciated!

Bonnie_Brae
Hall of Famer

Rating 4678
Registered 1-9-2010
Location Las Vegas, Nevada

posted on 8-5-2016 at 03:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Great job. Will you also be fixing the eight month old issue of the full site menus and dynasty vision not working on mobile browsers? You said you would fix it in January.

[Edited on 8-5-2016 by Bonnie_Brae]

I'm just a chaperone. The future owner of the teams I'm managing doesn't want me to accept your terrible trade offer. Thanks.

Admin
Administrator

Rating 94092
Registered 8-25-2006

Mood: Sim-Tastic

posted on 8-5-2016 at 04:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonnie_Brae
Great job. Will you also be fixing the eight month old issue of dynasty vision/the full version of the site not working on any mobile browser? You said you would fix it in January.

This is on my high priority list, yes.

Chris

To help us serve you better, please use the message boards for all questions or problems. u2u should NEVER be used. If it is something of a private nature, please post in the Support forum and mark it as private. This helps us save time and money, which ultimately leads to more improvements to the game and the lowest prices possible. The Support forum is always read before u2us. u2us sent to Admin will be reposted to Support and addressed after issues posted properly.

What's the Deal with the Admin account?

Discounted teams in the multi-season private leagues available. Signup for a team today, or see which teams are available, at
The Private & Speed League Team List

Bonnie_Brae
Hall of Famer

Rating 4678
Registered 1-9-2010

posted on 8-5-2016 at 04:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Admin
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonnie_Brae
Great job. Will you also be fixing the eight month old issue of dynasty vision/the full version of the site not working on any mobile browser? You said you would fix it in January.

This is on my high priority list, yes.

Chris

Cool. Thanks.

I'm just a chaperone. The future owner of the teams I'm managing doesn't want me to accept your terrible trade offer. Thanks.

postal99
MVP

Rating 1290
Registered 4-30-2003

posted on 8-5-2016 at 10:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Constantly improving and updating. That's why I'm still here. Great job
postal99
MVP

Rating 1290
Registered 4-30-2003

posted on 8-5-2016 at 11:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
minnesotamike
All Star

Rating 933
Registered 7-24-2007

posted on 8-6-2016 at 04:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
i echo Jonathan8's sentiment's

yes

ballmark
League Commish

Rating 10422
Registered 10-25-2009

Mood: Click here for my blog.

posted on 8-6-2016 at 11:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm not sure who's making the money off this site, but as you appear to be the only public face of Admin these days, Chris, you either deserve a raise or a bigger stake in whatever profits are being made.

Well done, bud.

#+Goose Goslin League - Detroit Diamonds
#+Harold Baines League - Cincinnati Mavericks Romp
*#+Sandberg Yingling League - Texas Lonestars
#Tony Conigliaro League - Chicago Blaze
+Barry Zito League - Kansas City Clippers
Vizquel Spahn League (24 teams) - Tampa Bay Burn
24-Team Beta League - Boston Red Sox, Seattle Aviators

*Commissioner #HOF Facilitator +Contribute Special Reports, when schedule allows

My Blog on Facebook:
http://markmail.smugmug.com/Sports/SimDynasty/i-hzJZpwd/4/Th/FacebookLikeLogo-Th.jpg
Shooting for 175 Likes!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bonnie_Brae
Hall of Famer

Rating 4678
Registered 1-9-2010

posted on 8-18-2016 at 09:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by postal99

LOL. You must be joking.

Steelsmith
Rookie

Rating 225
Registered 1-1-2015
Location Fresh Meadows (Queens) NYC

Mood: not winning

posted on 10-5-2016 at 06:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hello Chris, The system seems to be down. No 2nd game has yet been played in the Mel OTT LEAGUE TODAY
polpol
MVP

Rating 1821
Registered 7-31-2007

posted on 10-11-2016 at 11:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Appreciate your hard work Chris

yes

minnesotamike
All Star

Rating 933
Registered 7-24-2007