Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites

Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Survey Suggestion
HumYai
All Star

Rating 996
Registered 1-14-2005

Mood: If a am right, you need to kiss my Arsehole; If I am wrong, I will wash it first.

posted on 5-9-2017 at 09:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Survey Suggestion

I would like to see a volunteer survey linked to permanent league owners whom do not renew. Results only seen by Admin. Yes there will be some personal attacks against a commish, fellow owners or SD in general; that is why the rest of us do not need to see it and it can just be rubbished. On the other hand, it might just bring a few constructive ideas; just one might help the game a lot.
Admin
Administrator

Rating 94487
Registered 8-25-2006

Mood: Sim-Tastic

posted on 5-9-2017 at 10:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That's a good idea. We used to do surveys but they were more general surveys as opposed to "exit interview" surveys. If I see an unexpected departure sometimes I'll send a private message asking if there is an issue in the league, but most of the responses I get are that either personal issues or a lack of time/money is the reason. I'm not sure if that is always a real response or if the owner just doesn't want to talk to Admin about it.

The biggest issue is fewer new owners coming into the game. We get a lot of new owners but they don't stick around. This highlights a known issue: the learning curve is just too high. THe best owners are the ones who have been around long enough to know all the little nuances that aren't necessarily published in the rulebook. Back when the game first started (early 2000s) this sort of learning curve for a major simulation was not unusual (and the game had far fewer nuances); nowadays, people tend to expect more "training wheels" in their initial play like tutorial modes and such. Better context-sensitive help could be useful too.

As far as retention of existing owners, those that leave fall into a few broad categories:

- Money/time not available
- Conflicts with other owners
- Dead leagues
- Lack of major new features

We try to work with owners regarding temporary money issues. There are some things we may be able to do to reduce the amount of time to manage teams. There will always be conflicts, unfortunately; we tend to have fewer than most game sites, though. "Dead leagues" tends to be about the particular owners in a league; some to league roundups, game writeups, team histories, etc to give their league a more "role-play" feel and these leagues can be more engaging than those who simply play the numbers. "Lack of major new features" is going to be tricky on the baseball side because the baseball simulation is basically mature, and trying to add something like new player attributes requires so much work and testing for so little payoff that it's not the best use of time. That isn't to say there aren't great new features to add; we have hundreds of usable suggestions to build on. But they are more likely to take place on the user interface or the edges of the game as opposed to the soft chewy center of the simulation.

Again, though, these are very casual results from conversations or general chatter; a survey isn't a bad idea because it may point to areas that aren't in general chatter.

Chris

To help us serve you better, please use the message boards for all questions or problems. u2u should NEVER be used. If it is something of a private nature, please post in the Support forum and mark it as private. This helps us save time and money, which ultimately leads to more improvements to the game and the lowest prices possible. The Support forum is always read before u2us. u2us sent to Admin will be reposted to Support and addressed after issues posted properly.

What's the Deal with the Admin account?

Discounted teams in the multi-season private leagues available. Signup for a team today, or see which teams are available, at
The Private & Speed League Team List

HumYai
All Star

Rating 996
Registered 1-14-2005

Mood: If a am right, you need to kiss my Arsehole; If I am wrong, I will wash it first.

posted on 5-9-2017 at 10:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
YES! My main point of it is, some of us are loud and speak out as it is our nature. This tends to leave the quiet guy in the corner without input. His ideas are just as good if not better than us loud mouths. There is also the type of guy who thinks you have an agenda if you approach him. I just think a no pressure exit survey might surprise.

Not any different than a suggestion box at work. People will put a lot of chit in because they can, but one gem may make the chit waders worth it.

[Edited on 5-9-2017 by HumYai]

HumYai
All Star

Rating 996
Registered 1-14-2005

posted on 5-9-2017 at 02:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Last night I presented the issue of keeping subscribers to adult college transition students on a website called Schoology. One answer I already received: "What if non playoff teams that have competed for 5 seasons, get one season free?" hmmm.... I am not sure, it is an idea. Would that be enough incentive to keep trying or would they quit after the free season?
dirtdevil
League Commish

Rating 31291
Registered 11-5-2004
Location north of the 49th

Mood: tired. just tired.

posted on 5-9-2017 at 04:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
it's an interesting idea. even if they quit after the free season, I don't see that the site is any worse off.

the exit interview is a good idea as well, but i'd also suggest some kind of similar project for active owners. what do we do well, what would you like to see us improve, what do you enjoy most about the site, what do you enjoy least, ideas for improvement, that sort of thing. knowing why you lose people is valuable information but making existing customers feel valued is also important. plus there's more of them, so you have a better chance of getting more good ideas and/or a better idea of how people feel right now.

compton10101
MVP

Rating 1249
Registered 1-9-2006

posted on 5-9-2017 at 06:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
COMPTON thinkz dat customa service an buildin out leaguez dat r geared toward da ownaz dat dont care bout da old unwritten rulez in dis place an putz value on every playin style would go along way 2 not offend new ownaz...........az it standz there r a handfull of old skool ownaz up in here dat clearly offend every1 who aint their type of owna..............COMPTON

COMPTON'z list of World Seriez Championshipz - Dom DiMaggio (multiple), Rickey Henderson, Joe Medwick (multiple), Max Carey, Ken Griffey Jr, George Van Haltren, Fred Lynn (2 different teamz 6 WS), Mickey Mantle (multiple) & Willie Mays League + many Division and League Championshipz 17 TOTAL CHAMPIONSHIPZ IN 98 SEAZONZ!

4 of 5 WS titlez in Fred Lynn League 2022-2026!

Larry Doby League - .683 winnin' pct & 4 AL titlez in 6 seazonz
Ken Griffey Jr League - .705 winnin' pct 3 AL titlez 1 WS in 5 seazonz!

Ken Griffey Jr League - 130-32 Regular Season Record

COMPTON haz put togetha sum of da greatest hittin' an pitchin teamz in sim dynasty history

COMPTON proudly ownz Top 20 in winnin pct. in sim dynasty history

COMPTON proudly ownz top 70 championship pct. in sim dynasty history

HumYai
All Star

Rating 996
Registered 1-14-2005

posted on 5-9-2017 at 06:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nothing against anyone, but this is already showing tones of griping. we have enough topics for that.

This is why I think surveys should be returned to admin eyes only. Even better if admin could do it in they way the suggestions come back anonymous.

[Edited on 5-10-2017 by HumYai]

compton10101
MVP

Rating 1249
Registered 1-9-2006

posted on 5-9-2017 at 07:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
yall on it hum........well said..................COMPTON

COMPTON'z list of World Seriez Championshipz - Dom DiMaggio (multiple), Rickey Henderson, Joe Medwick (multiple), Max Carey, Ken Griffey Jr, George Van Haltren, Fred Lynn (2 different teamz 6 WS), Mickey Mantle (multiple) & Willie Mays League + many Division and League Championshipz 17 TOTAL CHAMPIONSHIPZ IN 98 SEAZONZ!

4 of 5 WS titlez in Fred Lynn League 2022-2026!

Larry Doby League - .683 winnin' pct & 4 AL titlez in 6 seazonz
Ken Griffey Jr League - .705 winnin' pct 3 AL titlez 1 WS in 5 seazonz!

Ken Griffey Jr League - 130-32 Regular Season Record

COMPTON haz put togetha sum of da greatest hittin' an pitchin teamz in sim dynasty history

COMPTON proudly ownz Top 20 in winnin pct. in sim dynasty history

COMPTON proudly ownz top 70 championship pct. in sim dynasty history

HumYai
All Star

Rating 996
Registered 1-14-2005

posted on 5-10-2017 at 03:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by dirtdevil
it's an interesting idea. even if they quit after the free season, I don't see that the site is any worse off.

the exit interview is a good idea as well, but i'd also suggest some kind of similar project for active owners. what do we do well, what would you like to see us improve, what do you enjoy most about the site, what do you enjoy least, ideas for improvement, that sort of thing. knowing why you lose people is valuable information but making existing customers feel valued is also important. plus there's more of them, so you have a better chance of getting more good ideas and/or a better idea of how people feel right now.

I agree, but we now have these forums for players here right now. Additionally, suggesters wanting to be private can send in support privately to Admin. I believe, though not certain, there have been surveys on our home page as well. The only way to reach more that are "here now" would be for a site wide U2U. That, in itself, would ruffle some feathers and I am not sure I want that in my inbox myself. In the end I think no more would participate than use the forums now.

Just another view.....I think if you solicit reasons for leaving, you will get standard easy answers. The big winner = time and money, then the others Admin listed. What guy will say I can't win at this F'ing thing, so I am out of here? NOT many I know! Any game from Chutes and Ladders to SD has to be fun, I strongly believe that is the base of leaving despite common answers. Just maybe one of these fellow owners leaving would have an idea to keep it 'fun' if they had an unsolicited anonymous input.

[Edited on 5-10-2017 by HumYai]

Admin
Administrator

Rating 94487
Registered 8-25-2006

Mood: Sim-Tastic

posted on 5-10-2017 at 08:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ah, but everyone has a different definition of "fun". Compton is correct that playing styles can be in such opposition that they actually offend other players; unfortunately, it is difficult to sole this without legislating that certain playing styles are preferred (and alienating owners in the process).

"Tanking" is a perfect example. To the "role player" style player, tanking is anathema to the game because real Major League teams always play to win. Numbers players (known in technical terms as "min/maxers") only care about maximizing their benefits and minimizing their losses, so they can tend toward more extreme styles of play, including tanking. Although the site does skew toward "role players", neither style is inherently wrong, but role players get annoyed with numbers players tanking, and numbers players get annoyed with "unnecessary" things like player photos, DynastyVision, owners that won't trade players for sentimental reasons, etc.

Another opposing set of styles are owners that want realistic teams vs. those who like to "theme" their players after Disney characters, movies, etc. These types will rarely get along with each other, and I'll often get requests from "realistic" players asking to changed "themed" player names when they can't ordinarily be changed.

The best we can do for these conflicts is to have certain leagues tailored to certain styles of play.

Regarding "free seasons"... right now we do this through Dynasty Dollar wins, but of course this only applies to Dynasty teams. We also have the Dynasty Dollar referral program; we have a few long-time owners that have referred enough owners that they rarely have to pay anything to play. There are possibly other things we can do with this. Changing the way we bill Subscription leagues (using PayPal's newer Billing Agreement rather than Subscriptions) would allow us to do these sorts of things for Subscription players, but it would require rebuilding the billing system (which is a challenge on a live site) and some owners may not like it because they may see it as "less secure". (Billing Agreements are "pull" oriented; we request money from PayPal when due. Subscriptions are "push" oriented; PayPal automatically sends us the money each month and the owner must start and stop the subscription, retaining full control.)

As far as "how" a survey is run, we can use the built-in voting system for individual multiple-choice questions, or I could build a multi-question survey engine. We could also build it in, by giving owners the ability to leave a league directly on their own rather than asking a Commish to list their team, we could pop up a short survey asking why on the spot.

I actually do get a few who say "I can't win, I'm out of here" but they generally accuse the site of poor programming, too much randomness (generally in System 3 and 4 leagues due to talent inflation) or favoritism (Admin makes them lose to protect Admin's favorite owners) as the reason they can't win.

Chris

To help us serve you better, please use the message boards for all questions or problems. u2u should NEVER be used. If it is something of a private nature, please post in the Support forum and mark it as private. This helps us save time and money, which ultimately leads to more improvements to the game and the lowest prices possible. The Support forum is always read before u2us. u2us sent to Admin will be reposted to Support and addressed after issues posted properly.

What's the Deal with the Admin account?

Discounted teams in the multi-season private leagues available. Signup for a team today, or see which teams are available, at
The Private & Speed League Team List

Beanballs
League Commish

Rating 5611
Registered 10-30-2007
Location "The Land of Pleasant Living"

Mood: Ain't the beer cold!!!

posted on 5-10-2017 at 02:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
What happened to this idea Chris, it seemed feasable back then:

http://forum.simdynasty.com/viewthread.php?tid=413067

ptech
League Commish

Rating 1622
Registered 7-25-2008
Location Sebastopol Ca

Mood: Everything's cool and everything's smooth.....say, that's smooth

posted on 5-26-2017 at 09:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Beanballs

I'd be all for this idea.

Much like Kobe was a volume shooter, I'm a volume owner. Gonna hit on one every so often...

DNL~Oakland Supernauts (WS Champs: '32, '39) (AL Champs: '30, '32, '39, '59, '61, '62) (Playoffs: '30, '31, '32, '37, '38, '39, '41, '42, '47, '58, '59, '60, '61, '62, 63', 64', 65')

JEL~ Boston Townies (AL Champs: '30, '32, '34) (Playoffs: '29, '30, '31, '32, '33, '34) *retired*

LAL~ San Diego Frigates (WS Champs: '05, '09) (NL Champs: '05, '09) (Playoffs: '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11)

MFL~ Los Angeles Earthquakes (WS Champs: '42) (AL Champs: '33, '41, '42) (Playoffs: '29, '33, '39, '41, '42 '43 '44)

AOL ~ Oakland Assassins (Al Champs:'33, '40) (Playoffs: '33, '35, '37, '38, '39, '40, '41)

SYL ~ Philadelphia Knuckleheads (WS Champs: 2179, '83, '84, '85) (NL Champs: 2179, '83, '84) (Playoffs: 2179, '80, '81, '82, '83, '84, '85)

PNL~ Boston Clippers (AL Champs '71, '72)(Playoffs: '66, '67, '68, '70, '71, '72)

NFL~ San Diego Dreadnoughts (Playoffs: 2109, 2112, '13, '14, '15, '16) (NL Champs: 2114, '15, '16) (WS Champs: 2114) *retired*

JRL~ Colorado Mountaineers (WS Champs: 2264) (NL Champs: 2264) (Playoffs: 2264) *retired*

TDFL~ British Columbia Chargers (Sim Bowl Winners: 2003, 2004, 2017, 2018) (National Conference Champs: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2017, 2018) (Div Winner: 1990, 1991, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018) (Wild Card: 1993, 2014) *retired*

ptech
League Commish

Rating 1622
Registered 7-25-2008
Location Sebastopol Ca

Mood: Everything's cool and everything's smooth.....say, that's smooth

posted on 5-26-2017 at 09:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Beanballs

I'd be all for this idea.

Much like Kobe was a volume shooter, I'm a volume owner. Gonna hit on one every so often...

DNL~Oakland Supernauts (WS Champs: '32, '39) (AL Champs: '30, '32, '39, '59, '61, '62) (Playoffs: '30, '31, '32, '37, '38, '39, '41, '42, '47, '58, '59, '60, '61, '62, 63', 64', 65')

JEL~ Boston Townies (AL Champs: '30, '32, '34) (Playoffs: '29, '30, '31, '32, '33, '34) *retired*

LAL~ San Diego Frigates (WS Champs: '05, '09) (NL Champs: '05, '09) (Playoffs: '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11)

MFL~ Los Angeles Earthquakes (WS Champs: '42) (AL Champs: '33, '41, '42) (Playoffs: '29, '33, '39, '41, '42 '43 '44)

AOL ~ Oakland Assassins (Al Champs:'33, '40) (Playoffs: '33, '35, '37, '38, '39, '40, '41)

SYL ~ Philadelphia Knuckleheads (WS Champs: 2179, '83, '84, '85) (NL Champs: 2179, '83, '84) (Playoffs: 2179, '80, '81, '82, '83, '84, '85)

PNL~ Boston Clippers (AL Champs '71, '72)(Playoffs: '66, '67, '68, '70, '71, '72)

NFL~ San Diego Dreadnoughts (Playoffs: 2109, 2112, '13, '14, '15, '16) (NL Champs: 2114, '15, '16) (WS Champs: 2114) *retired*

JRL~ Colorado Mountaineers (WS Champs: 2264) (NL Champs: 2264) (Playoffs: 2264) *retired*

TDFL~ British Columbia Chargers (Sim Bowl Winners: 2003, 2004, 2017, 2018) (National Conference Champs: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2017, 2018) (Div Winner: 1990, 1991, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018) (Wild Card: 1993, 2014) *retired*

tigershm1977
All Star

Rating 501
Registered 2-5-2010
Location Sunnyvale Trailer Park detroit

Mood: Drunk and harassing Mr Lehey

posted on 6-21-2017 at 08:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Only issue I have is site is pretty dead, I try to get more people in RL and had 6 friends or coworkers join baseball(not sure any still play) and got my brother and 1 friend to play football(both still play) I really enjoy site and plan on sticking around awhile for sure, just wanted to put my 2 cents in
HumYai
All Star

Rating 996
Registered 1-14-2005

posted on 6-25-2017 at 04:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by tigershm1977
Only issue I have is site is pretty dead, I try to get more people in RL and had 6 friends or coworkers join baseball(not sure any still play) and got my brother and 1 friend to play football(both still play) I really enjoy site and plan on sticking around awhile for sure, just wanted to put my 2 cents in

Not doubting you at all, but can you explain what you mean by pretty dead? Explaining it might prompt ideas of how to help by some of us.

tigershm1977
All Star

Rating 501
Registered 2-5-2010
Location Sunnyvale Trailer Park detroit

Mood: Drunk and harassing Mr Lehey

posted on 6-25-2017 at 03:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think it's best to explain with a scenario, say u find the site thinking hmmm this is interesting I'll give it a try, u sign up for a single season free league, it needs 3 more teams to start, u spend a few hours looking around messing with ranking players and bids, log off and u sign in the next 3 days and 1 team has joined and u still need 2 more to start, there's a high chance u lose interest and don't even check back, not as big of a issue but I get feeling pay leagues have lots of inactives to, maybe something like the baseball dynasty bot that also filled leagues that are taking awhile, idk, like I said I'm not leaving anytime soon I really enjoy game
HumYai
All Star

Rating 996
Registered 1-14-2005

posted on 6-25-2017 at 06:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
single leagues are a grab bag. In my opinion many owners sit and watch who is joining. If they see someone who is tough to beat in the past they wait for the next league. there are those consumed with winning % who want the easiest route possible.

I believe a possible solution to make single leagues fill faster would be to hide owner names till it is filled.

As for premium leagues you have to take time and do homework. Some are very active and kept interesting by voting on season MVP's and Roy. I did my homework and joined the CLFL and it is an awesome league... so many great owners, the greats are no guarantee to make the playoffs. I liked it so much I joined another without doing homework, I was never welcomed into the league or even had a post responded to. I have been successful taking a 4-12 team I purchased to a SB win in my 2nd season, but I will not likely renew.

todd999430
Legend

Rating 15246
Registered 7-29-2007
Location Iowa

Mood: So... what did i miss?

posted on 6-29-2017 at 03:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think the allure of starting a 1950's league is there for a lot of owners. Get them to commit to three cycles; I still think it would fill.

And I would collapse a lot of the leagues with a lot of vacancies. Offer them a spot in a new 1950 league. Breath some life into SD.

HumYai
All Star

Rating 996
Registered 1-14-2005

posted on 7-14-2017 at 03:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Some may feel needlessly put off by 'owner clicks'.

On the surface, in many (not all) of the premium leagues I have taken part in, there seems to be a click of owners who pack together when voting and/or accepting new ideas.

If you want to play the game, this is something you just have to accept and get over. The NFL or any organization has clicks. If you think the Patriots' and the Ravens' owners are in the same click, you're nuts. Every SD owner can be successful and not be their leagues inside circle, should there be one.

[Edited on 7-14-2017 by HumYai]

Share/Save/Bookmark Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top