Player Names

Discussions for the Minnie Minoso League.
mr_fuji

Player Names

Post by mr_fuji »

First off, welcome to all the new owners in the league! From all the other owners, thanks so much for joining. It'll be nice to have a full roster of owners this year.

I don't want to ruffle any feathers but I noticed that one of the new owners changed the names of several established major league players. I personally don't mind name changes, as long as they're made before a player hits the big leagues. I thought we had a rule in place against the re-naming of major league players but alas, we have no commissioner so I have no idea. What does everyone else think? I know it's not a big deal in the large scope of things but it can get pretty messy and decreases the immersiveness of the league.

Please don't take this as a rebuke of any of the new owners. I just thought I'd solicit some input from the league.
rnxn

Re: Player Names

Post by rnxn »

I thought Fredbirds was our Commissioner? Am I wrong and did I volunteer him for a job that wasn't his? That's highly possible :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for player name changes I wasn't aware that we had such a rule, but I don't change names unless they're completely obnoxious. I'd be down for such a rule, especially when it comes to established vets. It would help me keep track of guys like Jim Ramirez in Seattle. That guy has been beating the tar outta the Varks for 20 years, so if someone had changed his name 10 years ago I would still be cursing "Ramirez", regardless of what his current name was:)
fredbirds

Post by fredbirds »

No commish is dynasty leagues. There is supposed to be a rule in all leagues about name changes. Can’t remember if they had to be an all-star or in majors for a certain time.
DeepThreat

Post by DeepThreat »

You can't change the name of anyone who has won an award or made it onto an All Star team. Chris had even removed the option from the game's coding. Not sure if that's still the case after the attacks and the programming adjustments a couple of years ago. Personally, I haven't really tried changing many player names in years (other than reverse some truly silly ones after trading for them).

And, just a heads up. I have not officially decided, but I may very well do some mass name changing as well. I may name some guys after favorite pro wrestlers to go with the whole Brawlers theme of the team. Any name changes will happen either before they reach the majors or within the first couple of years of their careers.

A long time back in the Tim Raines League, we had a guy who took a contending team and changed all of its players' names to some variation of John Tesh or named them after members of his family. HoF caliber players were renamed at the age of 32 (and after 10+ years in the league). He then turned around and tried to sell everyone off the following year, but no one could really figure out who was who. A lot of the other owners complained, and the new rule and action went into place a couple of seasons later. Apparently that owner had done the same thing in other leagues, except in one he got upset with the rest of the league and renamed his players inflammatory terms directed at other owners. Think he got banned for that one, and it caused the new rule to come into existence.
mr_fuji

Post by mr_fuji »

This is my only Dynasty League and didn't realize there were unilateral rules about name changing. Personally, I find the name changes a little off putting because of the rapid turnover with some teams. In other leagues, I've seen players change names 3+ times and since I've never seen it here, I thought we had a rule in place. No big deal though, I can definitely live with it. It looks like nobody else has a real problem with it, either.

What this league did have though was a HOF commish. Now that Conman has left, we are in need of someone to fill that position. I'd love to do it but have too many other obligations to give it the proper respect. Any takers?
raverob

Post by raverob »

Does it really matter .Either way I am one of 4 I believe in this from the get go. Ive seen names changed team names changed . You pay for it I feel do what you want with it .-
:D :D :D

Return to “Minnie Minoso League”