DML Buyers Club

Discussions for the Dale Murphy League.

Moderator: historymann49

TheBigKahuna0

DML Buyers Club

Post by TheBigKahuna0 »

Hello fellow DML owners! Some of you already know me and know when I get bored I play sportswriter for fictional baseball. It's great! With the playoffs coming soon, I thought I'd take a look at the trade desk and see what could be cooking down the stretch. With all the injuries our league faces, everyone could use some help. I'll lay out some of the teams looking to buy and some of the players available. As with all of my ramblings, it's all my own opinion and just for fun.

Potential Targets:
Chad McBride - SP - PHI
The Philly lefty is having his best season at age 33 and should be a target for anyone seeking a rotation upgrade. He has B/A+ stuff with fantastic 2.25 ERA and 1.00 WHIP results. The Continentals looked like a fringe playoff team entering the season, but in 5th place at just under .500, they could get a good haul selling off some aging pieces. McBride has played his entire career in the city of brotherly love, but without any playoff appearances.

Suitors:
Los Angeles Barnstormers - Their rotation is good and improving, but could use that one big boost to leave the rest of the AL in its dust. They should also be on the hunt for a big time pitcher to try and upset Minnesota in the playoffs. McBride fits the bill as an effective, but aging starter that shouldn't cost too much.

Washington Democrats - Washington is close to fading out of the AL race. A pickup like McBride makes their rotation a whole lot better. If they can manage to snag him and prevent him from joining LA, it'll be a double win. The Democrats have the bigger need, which could entice a better price for Philly.

Lloyd Gross - 3B - ARI
Gross is already on the block and Arizona appears motivated to move him. He's having a down year so far and given his recent history a rebound seems likely. He has some experience at 1B and at SS, but at any position he won't be a plus defender. That A+ power against righties and lefties looks nice and should garner him some attention on the trade market. Like McBride, he's only known one franchise and has never played in a playoff game.

Suitors:
Cincinnati Classy Characters - Cincy has decent options at the corners although they're on the weak side in terms of rating. Roy Walker is having a good season so far, but is probably due for a slide given his attributes.Rich Peters is a bit better and could use the playing time, but has a D+ health rating. Gross could take over at 3B or fill in as a backup at both corner infield positions. He's got another prime year left while Walker is due to decline again this off-season. Maybe the off-season makes more sense for a deal, but if one of those two gets hurt Cincy could come calling.

Chicago Hitmen - With an aging first basemen in Jock Dupree, the Hitmen could use the upgrade right away. With four A graded starting pitchers, this team will be in the thick of the playoff race. Should they miss, they'll look at their lineup and pin the blame. A move now could put them out in front of the NL.

Scott Edelman - RF - MIL
A bit of a different flavor here with Edelman on the board. The 28 year old outfielder can fit the long-term strategy of contenders better than the vets above, but that obviously comes at a price. He has an All-Star and Gold Glove to his name and is facing some pressure from younger outfielders looking for playing time. With the Lites strategy of "win sometime in the distant future" nobody can be considered safe.

Suitors:
Pittsburgh Cartographers - Close enough to contention fresh out of a rebuild, Pittsburgh won't be looking for the mid-30's rental player. Instead, a buy like Edelman could help them win this season and beyond. On the other hand, there is plenty of overachieving in the Cartographer lineup and Edelman's time would come only if those guys cool off. Another potential off-season pickup, Pittsburgh could come calling if they're in the hunt at the end of August.

Tampa Bay Bandits - Similar to Pittsburgh, Tampa has a nice group building up. There's a clear opening at 1B with Jimmy Dugan nearing retirement. Edelman or another outfielder on the roster could fit in long-term at first base while this group continues to improve.

Hardy Mincher - RP - BAL
Already on the block but not as good as last year, this pen lefty should be a target for needy teams. He has A/B+ stuff and will be just 30 this summer. With his C+ endurance, he's even a candidate to spend time in a rotation. Current asking price is the most in-demand commodity around - young pitching.

Suitors:
Atlanta Braves - The Braves are very good, but also getting very old. It's hard to say what they'll look like after the off-season, but they'll need pitching. A reliever today would help a lot but paying a bit more for a 30 year old rather than a 34 year old could get the Braves a critical piece for next season. Either that, or a trade chip for the full rebuild.

Cincinnati Classy Characters - With just one reliever not set to decline at the end of the year, Cincy registers as an obvious fit. The team will be good enough to make another run next season and could use the help today. This might be a done deal already if Cincy had any young pitching to offer. However, they might be the team willing to pay the best price, even if it doesn't have the perfect return.

Ralph Mostil - CF - PHI
Another Philly guy here, but one that could help a needy team. This 31 year old hasn't missed a game in 8 years and has made the last 6 All-Star games. While Philly doesn't need to be in a rush to deal him away, his value is at its peak right now. A trade to a contender could pay dividends to both sides.

Suitors:
Minnesota Intensity - You have to look closely for a hole in Minnesota's roster. Right now, that hole is in center field. Current starter Derek Walker is plenty talented but having a down year so far. Swapping Mostil in would be an improvement plus would be good in the future with an aging roster. This is a pretty low priority in Minnesota, though, but they had to make this list as potential buyers and this was the best way.

Chicago Hitmen - Ben Estes is solid but getting older. His replacement could be on the roster, although Mostil would be a better fit. A trade before the deadline is possible, especially in the case of injury, but an off-season move is more likely.
Beanballs

Re: DML Buyers Club

Post by Beanballs »

Brilliant work Kahuna as always! Mincher could easily be had (as well as most of my major league team), I am always ready for a bold move!
The Land of Pleasant Living
shiftyrichard

Post by shiftyrichard »

Nicely done. You're kind of reading my mind too.
TheBigKahuna0

Post by TheBigKahuna0 »

Yes! I got one right! If this were ESPN I'd be their most successful sports predictor.

I expect the rest of the dominoes to fall very soon
Beanballs

Post by Beanballs »

Rumor has it that the Bohs have offers out to the teams in Hotlanta and the Queen City, who will accept first?
shiftyrichard

Post by shiftyrichard »

I now have Gross and Minchin. Let the double guessing begin.
Beanballs

Post by Beanballs »

Maybe Kahuna you could talk up the rest of my guys that are older than 25 that are available hehehe....
Beanballs

Post by Beanballs »

And now you are forever to be known as the "Dale Murphy Trade Whisperer", or DMTW for short...
smoldering

Post by smoldering »

While Mostil looks enticing, I think Derek Walker took offense to your post. Since you called him out, he's rattled off a 10 game hit streak and gotten on base at least twice each game in that stretch.

Return to “Dale Murphy League”