Possible Merger

Discussions for the Lou Whitaker League.
skycoyote

Possible Merger

Post by skycoyote »

Another league I'm in, the HBL, has 5 unowned teams. We now have 3 plus one chaperoned team. The HBL would like to know if we are interested in a merger. Here is what would happen with a merger (from a post in the HBL by ballmark):

"• A new 24-Team League is created, probably called the Baines Whitaker or Whitaker Baines League.
• The new league starts from 1970 and both current leagues lose their history. :cry: I know, right?
• On the other hand, no one has impossibly high career totals to become one of the "greats" from those early 1950 years when stats were too good for realism.
• Players from both leagues are "cloned" over to the new league. Duplicate owners would get their choice of which team to use. So yes, you would get to keep the same players you have now.
• Players from vacant teams are retired. There is no "Expansion Draft" of any sort.
• The merger would not happen until both leagues have finished their current season.
• A new draft class would be created for the merged league. 24 Team Leagues have 150 players in each class.
• In 24-Team Leagues there is an extra day of playoffs. There is a "Divisional Series," then the LCS and World Series.

I think that about covers it.

Oh - one more thing - draft picks are ported over if both teams involved in the deal go to the new league. If not, the owner with a useless draft pick gets to select a player from the applicable round and that player is "cloned" onto their team under a new name."

I think this pretty much covers all the details. I think this would be a solution to the problem of unowned teams, and a 24 team league would be very interesting. So everyone please post your thoughts!
jack80

Re: Possible Merger

Post by jack80 »

I'm game for a merger.
klobas2

Post by klobas2 »

I've never done a merger before...would be interested.
BobR

Post by BobR »

I would give it a try
MDorf

Post by MDorf »

I prefer 16 team leagues to 24 team leagues, but I prefer full leagues to leagues half full of bots or unattended teams. I am up for whatever.
skycoyote

Post by skycoyote »

Any more comments on this? The HBL looks like it will approve, so we need everyone's input as soon as possible. Thanks.
siz

Post by siz »

Merger sounds good. Active teams are always better. Would it still be the same number of games per day?
skycoyote

Post by skycoyote »

Yes, it will remain 6 games per day.
skycoyote

Post by skycoyote »

A merger IMO would be very good for the league. We only have five responses so far, all positive. But we need more than that to get things going. So would everyone PLEASE respond to this thread and vote yes, no or I don't care on the merger. Thanks!
TurkeyStearnes

Post by TurkeyStearnes »

I don't like the 24 team leagues, but I'll go along with the majority.

Return to “Lou Whitaker League”