League pulse survey

Discussions for the Cool Papa Bell League.

Moderator: 2ndCos

paulcaraccio

League pulse survey

Post by paulcaraccio »

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/V9B235P

i made a quick survey. i won't bother you if you don't do it. see how we feel, 20 years into this. it's non-binding. any big reveals, we can talk about maybe changing.
MNRebel

Re: League pulse survey

Post by MNRebel »

Done!
paulcaraccio

Post by paulcaraccio »

9 responses, great. Lots of comments too. I'll share everything. Give another couple days.
paulcaraccio

Post by paulcaraccio »

12 responses, including all 8 members of the AL. Satyr, Guru, Divinski, joe haven't, but the results are strong - everything is really popular! Approval margins:

Lottery 11-1
Minor System 10-2
Injuries 7 (stay) 3 (more) 2 (less)
WPM 10-2
Variable Improvement 10-2
Mentoring 9-1, 2 chose I don't really know what this is
throw out kahuna 12-0

My favorite comment, and maybe one thing we can possibly discuss changing: "Would like more players subject to variable curves." We can tweak the percentage of players that get hit with each variable curve. should we get dirty with it? 25% busts? 50% enigmas? 0% normal?

comments

on the lottery

I think is does what is supposed to do.
reduce the number of teams involved.
It's no fun to tank for the #1
Not necessary with WPM, but it's still fun.
One of the things that keeps our league so good. WPM alone doesn't prevent tanking because you can always keep everyone in the minors. With lottery there is no benefits for losing games.
Maybe lessen the loss penalty a little bit.
Adds excitement at end of season and uncertainty
Haven't won it but it certainly serves it's purpose.

will update later with the rest of the comments.
paulcaraccio

Post by paulcaraccio »

average time spent on survey: 4 min 43 sec

Comments on Minors:
I love System 3.
I would go to the 5 CP on 4 players option...might promote trades
Max dev is really the only other option
If we went to the even one, there would be a lot less consternation...
Develop prospects but not too many, league talent level is still not bloated
makes you pay attention.

Injuries:
Only if we can change the CP system. (voted for More)
MORE! I would love to see a higher reliance on depth and get some of those bench players some October hero statuses
I would not mind more injuries, which forces more roster decisions and development of young guys

WPM:
This is the difference maker that makes the league challenging
The deep tank followed by the high rise is an over powered strategy. WPM makes this game so much harder
Keeps everyone honest...
Bottom teams do not tank, hedge against the boom/bust
I don't think I have been on the right side of it yet.

Variable:
Wish I could figure it out......
I guess I would keep it, but I sometimes wonder about how it is set up. I seems like a lot of mediocre, older pitchers are on a favorable curve. Almost predictable. I don't think the curve should favor any type of player, and should definitely not be predictable.
Not a real big fan, but I guess it does mirror real life better
My favorite feature (wish I included a question on "what's your favorite feature?")

Mentoring:
eh, either way on this one....
It makes those A+ mentors valuable
Also an added challenge
Goes hand in hand with WPM, makes teams rebuilding keep quality mentors and they have value for trades
One person chose "WTF is a mentoring system" and commented "?"

Other Comments:
My biggest problem is with lottery involving too many teams. limits rebuilding. rebuilding is not necessarily tanking.
We nailed the rules. This has to be the most challenging league. I have dropped all other teams except one because of the boom or bust cycle.
I want to know how many people picked the last one on question 8. (Nobody!) I wouldn't blame them. I wish there was a way to make all players worse - instead of having 8 damn near perfect batters and 4 A overall starters (5 in my case - humble brag) is less fun than piecing together the best group of B+'s and platoons. But I think i'm the only masochist in the league
This league is a lot of fun to try to figure out!!!
MNRebel

Post by MNRebel »

paulcaraccio wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:29 am
My favorite comment, and maybe one thing we can possibly discuss changing: "Would like more players subject to variable curves." We can tweak the percentage of players that get hit with each variable curve. should we get dirty with it? 25% busts? 50% enigmas? 0% normal?
This.
MNRebel

Post by MNRebel »

paulcaraccio wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:00 pm
I want to know how many people picked the last one on question 8. (Nobody!) I wouldn't blame them. I wish there was a way to make all players worse - instead of having 8 damn near perfect batters and 4 A overall starters (5 in my case - humble brag) is less fun than piecing together the best group of B+'s and platoons. But I think i'm the only masochist in the league
And this! Let's talk.
Minions

Post by Minions »

Yeah id love it if b+ players were relevant to the game, where one team doesnt have 3-5 all time greats on it, but that happens in real life too so if someone can make it happen why punish them? (As long as its done fairly of course)
2Below

Post by 2Below »

Minions wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:42 pm Yeah id love it if b+ players were relevant to the game, where one team doesnt have 3-5 all time greats on it, but that happens in real life too so if someone can make it happen why punish them? (As long as its done fairly of course)
After reading this post for the 3rd time, I have to ask how the league rules have been derived at this point.
During my search for possible VHOF candidates, I found this guy:

http://simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id=340 ... imps=stats

An upright guy in his own right.
But hardly a HOF candidate since I have been here.

But look closer...
He was never an A+ A+ hitter ( yet has seasons of .390, 385 & .378 on his resume).
His best speed was D+.
His best power rankings were A- B+ (but hit 357 HRs in 13 seasons).
HE NEVER PLAYED IN MORE THAN 131 GAMES IN ANY SEASON.
In summation, he is above average in today's game, yet a HOFer in his day.

If there have been minor "tweaks" along the way to the system, it would appear that the system has been tweaked too far the other way at this point. I mean, how many B+ or A- players enjoy any above average seasons in multiple categories? Of course there will be examples. But there are ~200 non pitching players per season and I would guess very few of the A- B+ players rank among the leaders in the various categories, than do.

One could hypothesize that if you are not a team that possess the A+ A+ players, you have no chance during 162 game season based simply on the law of averages. It would explain why there are so few "flyers" (to use a word) who win a series or even make the playoffs. The teams who were lucky enough or smart enough to acquire a few of the A+ A+ players, dominate. It seems, at least in my short time here, the 79 Pirates, 90 Reds, 97 Marlins, 05 Sox, 08 TB Rays (to name a few recent) don't exist. Every season after my first up until this year, I knew my fate going in. There was not going to be 3-4 (what are non-star) players who were going to combine to lift my team to the 76 win total and save me from the dreaded WPM. My only hope was the elite teams resting players at the end of the season so I could try to squeak out an extra 4-5 wins to lessen the punishment.

I'm not sure I have gotten my point across, but understand, I'm not rallying for mass change.
I'm just wondering if there were "tweaks" along the way, is it possible the system is not as balanced as we would want to allow optimum opportunity for strategy, owner fun and in the end, owner interaction.
Minions

Post by Minions »

Great analysis 2below, but I believe those guys who played in the 50's were in a pretweak phase where things were tightened up a bit. Still, I have had discussions where if a guy doesnt at least possess blue speed, they cannot compete, yet there's tons of guys in real life who couldnt beat a rock on level ground. Not sure how to make this game better without disrupting the positive features of the game, but there are some things that I would like to see. This may not be the point of this discussion, but its a fun topic anyways.

Return to “Cool Papa Bell League”