2021 HOF Veterans Comittee Nomination Thread

Discussions for the Cool Papa Bell League.

Moderator: 2ndCos

femgo

2021 HOF Veterans Comittee Nomination Thread

Post by femgo »

The first edition of the Veterans HOF was pretty cool in my opinion, some great players, no induction, but it was nice to take a look at these players. Let's go for season 2.
The rules are here: viewtopic.php?f=112&t=5497&p=19677#p19677
Four owners are allowed to nominate a player every season. The order of the owners that can indicate a player according to the rules are:
1. Paulcaraccio (can nominate a player)
2. MNRebel (can nominate a player)
3. Beanballs (can nominate a player)
4. TheBigKahunna (can nominate a player)
5. Slowjoe
6. Eragon
7. Femgo
8. Rdivinski
9. Satyr
10. Roaddog
11. 2below
12. 2ndcos
13. Jjensen92
14. Sirguru75
15. DharmaBums
Jhturm (ineligible-will be eligible in 2023)

Paulcaraccio, MNRebel, Beanballs, TheBigKahunna you are on the clock. You can indicate a player untill the 09-22. You can do it by writting the player's name here on this thread or by sending me a private message. You can also write a small text explaining why the player should be in (this text will be on the vote thread). Of course the owners are allowed to decline to indicate a player.

All players that have retired from 1950 to 2010 and have at least one all star appearence are eligible.

p.s.: I changed the term indicate for nominate. It makes more sense now? (non-native english speaker doubt)
TheBigKahuna0

Re: 2021 HOF Veterans Comittee Nomination Thread

Post by TheBigKahuna0 »

I'll nominate Buddy Tennant. He split his time between the Bleacherbums (now Boston) and the Fence Jumpers (now Toronto). Here some of his stats and rankings

9 time All-Star
Hits: 2716 (8th and 30th)
RBI's: 1566 (9th and 27th)
Walks: 1078 (5th and 17th)
OBP: .357 (12th and 38th)

The first group of rankings? That's the 21 outfielders elected to the HOF. The second group? All 65 hitters in the hall. He started more All-Star games than 58% of HOF hitters. He made all 9 of his All-Star games in a row. He had 5 straight 100 RBI seasons including a 148 RBI year followed by a 130 RBI year. He also won 4 Gold Gloves, but that's not that great when you consider the competition in left field.

I think this exercise is to compare those overlooked with those in the Hall. Tennant is comparable to those already in.

(realized I lumped in those stats players that may not have had full careers. There are 10 guys that retired by 1965 in the HOF. In that group, 3 are outfielders. Obviously they won't compare to the counting stats)
Beanballs

Post by Beanballs »

I post for nomination the former Boh Robbie Mussina:

http://simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id=980 ... imps=stats

If you take away his first two plus seasons (when he was 8-36) he has an overall career record of 203-87, and including all his seasons he won 211 games in only 430 starts (663 games overall). He was a 7 time all-star, appeared in 13 playoffs, and took home 7 rings.

What separated Mussina from the rest was his playoff record, an unreal 20-4 with a WHIP of 1.07, and an ERA of 2.25:

http://simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id=980 ... s=playoffs

All of this took place during the "bandbox and juiced ball" era of the Cool Papa Bell against some of the best teams ever assembled (this was before the WPM and also very much in the boom/bust era of the CPBL).

His regular season performance was great, but what makes him a clear HOF'er is his post season dominance (one must consider this time against those stacked teams)...
The Land of Pleasant Living
paulcaraccio

Post by paulcaraccio »

no nomination for me, but thanks for the opportunity.

i think nominate and indicate both work, but nominate is probably better :)
MNRebel

Post by MNRebel »

I didn't think I would nominate anyone, but I will indicate Scott Martin. See what I did there! He was my 1st ever draft pick in the CPBL.

http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id=9935985

Scotty was a 7-time all star with 3 Gold Gloves. He ended up being the anchor of 3 championship teams and hitting 370 home runs...the exact number hit by Hall of Fame catchers Nick Clark and Manny Sanguillen. So the only catchers to show more power are Arky Nicol and Darrell Hoiles.

Return to “Cool Papa Bell League”