-bygmester
“Every strike brings me closer to the next home run.”
-George Herman "Babe" Ruth
boraiders34

Re: Effective salary

Post by boraiders34 »

I believe this is the system we still use:

The Signing Formula
For every bid that is placed, a signing formula is used to take the base bid of X dollars per season over Y number of seasons and convert it to an Effective Salary amount. This amount is only used to determine which team a player signs with. The terms of the contract will be X dollars for Y seasons.

The Effective Salary is calculated as follows:

Dollars Per Season(X) * Length of Contract Adjustment(Y) * Team Prestige(P) * Leadership Bonus(L) = Effective Salary

X - The "Dollars Per Season" is exactly that, how much money per year will the team pay the player.

Y - Length of Contract Adjustment starts as a "1" for a 1-year contract.

For each season beyond 1 offered in a contract, the length adjustment will drop .05. So, a 2 year deal is .95, 3 year deals are .9, etc. This happens up to and including the season during which a player is OS 33.

For each season offered beyond OS 33, the length adjustment will increase .075.

So, for an OS 29 player, the numbers are thus:

(OS 29) 1 year - 1 length adjustment factor

(OS 30) 2 years - .95

(OS 31) 3 years - .9

(OS 32) 4 years - .85

(OS 33) 5 years - .80

(OS 34) 6 years - .875

(OS 35) 7 years - .95

(OS 36) 8 years - 1.025

These numbers will change based on the starting OS year, but the principle stays the same.

The exception to this is that 32 year olds have a 0.975 contract length multiplier for 3 year contracts. And 33 year olds have a 0.95 contract length multiplier for 2 year contracts.

P - Team Prestige takes into account the previous 5 seasons of data to determine which team's have a "winning" culture that is more desirable for free agents. Team prestige is based on the ranking of W-L records from the previous 5 seasons. 16 pts. for the best team, 1 point for the worst team. Also, each playoff appearance, world series appearance, and world series win, influences team prestige. The prestige is divided by the prestige median and then multiplied by 5%, so that it is only a small factor.

Team Prestige = 1 + {[(Avg. W-L rank + Playoff Appearances*.25 + World Series Appearances*.5 + World Series Wins*1)/8.5]*.05}

The L - Leadership Bonus is very simple. For each player, their leadership score is used to apply a bonus to a bid from their current team. This bonus only applies to the player's current team and it is as follows:

A+ = 29%

A = 25%

A- = 20%

B+ = 16%

B = 12%

B- = 8%

less than that = 0

So, X*Y*P*L = Effective Salary

The team with the highest effective salary for a player on the day he chooses to sign, will sign the player.
GhostofKong

Post by GhostofKong »

Thanks for posting this!
the_soup

Post by the_soup »

Thanks for posting. Having been away from the KBL for awhile, forgot all that went into the signing process.

Another question:

Is there a way to convert grade levels to numbers?

I vaguely remember way back that existed.

Thanks again,
bygmester

Post by bygmester »

boraiders34 you are a gentleman and a scholar! Thank you sir!
-bygmester
“Every strike brings me closer to the next home run.”
-George Herman "Babe" Ruth
boraiders34

Post by boraiders34 »

Hey Soup,

I think the numbers vs. grades is league dependent so there is no way to see exactly where your player is. There are "numbers" leagues where you get numbers instead of grades (or at least, there used to be, not sure if they still exist). But the grading scale is below so if you see when a player pops a new grade you could manually figure out his number rating. I know some people used to use spreadsheets to track this stuff.

A+ 92-100
A 84 - 91
A- 76 - 83
B+ 68 - 75
B 60 - 67
B- 52 - 59
C+ 44 - 51
C 36 - 43
C- 28 - 35
D+ 20 - 27
D 12 - 19
D- 4 - 11