what the?

Discussions for the Kevin Brown League.
MidnightHurricane

what the?

Post by MidnightHurricane »

hi guys, new owner here … I have been playing for about a year on here, and currently in 3 other leagues, with little success, but with a lot of fun … I bought this team because I am curious what the salary league is, I have no idea .. what are the rules? .. is it a salary cap league? why do most teams not have 15 minor leaguers? when do you sign free agents? etc etc etc
Underdog1629

Re: what the?

Post by Underdog1629 »

Welcome to the KBL. You picked an excellent team that should make the playoffs this season. We have great owners in this league that are willing to share information and answer questions. Below is a link for new owner and should answer most of your questions and get you off to a good start.

http://simdynasty.com/oldforum-viewthre ... tid=343556

Good luck,
Rob
allenciox

Post by allenciox »

In answer to your last question, the reason most teams don't support a 40-man roster is that it takes up salary that can otherwise be used for players that can play right now. Suppose you have a C-rated 18-year old that costs you, say 0.3million salary per year. If you waive that player, you are penalized .05 million for having an empty space on your roster --- so you have .25 million more for free agent players.

Now that 18-year old might be a good player six years from now. But meanwhile, you have to pay him a steadily increasing salary for no payback for the next four or five years. And then, when he turns 28, he is off to the highest bidder.

Most teams do keep their #1 draft picks around, and often very promising early 2nd round draft picks. But for other players, the math doesn't really bear up.

Now, I mostly do field a full roster. But mostly it is because I really like developing players, not really that the math supports that strategy.
GhostofKong

Post by GhostofKong »

+ 1 to everything Allen said.

The hard cap for the season is $85M. During free agency, you can set your bidding limit to $87M but you would then need to release under 28 players (their salaries wipe off your books if waived during free agency) or trade to get u see the cap in time to start the season.
MidnightHurricane

lets say I have a star player with no option years left, and he turns 28 .. he goes to free agency automatically? I can't sign him before that?
GhostofKong

Post by GhostofKong »

Yeah every player has a field on their player card for their last contract year. Typically for pre-free agency, non-guaranteed contract players, OS28 is their last year before becoming free agents.

You cannot negotiate to extend players before they hit the market. All players hit the market.

Also this system isn’t designed to mimic reality. It’s designed to encourage player movement. So 1 year deals are worth more to a player than a 2 or 3 year deal. But, if you make a long term offer to a player that extends to OS36 (into their decline years) it’ll be worth as much or more than the 1 year deal.

I can’t recommend this enough—for your first 2 free agency periods only offer 1 year contracts, even if you only sign a few players. You need to get a sense for contract values and don’t want to saddle yourself with a terrible long term contract.
hclobo

Post by hclobo »

I second GhostofKong's suggestion to go for the 1 year contract initially.

Hopefully this gives you a clearer picture of what to expect. Since I'm newer than many, please correct if I misstate anything.
Let''s say that the LCS and WS happen on Day 0.
Day 1
6:00 AM? - Season changes and improvements are applied.
11:00 AM ET - Draft
8:00 PM ET - First day of signings. All signings for the day happen at the same time. In order from most expensive to least expensive.
Day 2, 3 and 4
8:00 PM ET - Daily signings continue. On day 4, all players who receive an offer are signed.
Day 5
8:00 AM ET - Players on waiver wire become available.
Day-off before season starts. Some players can still be waived without penalty. Younger than OS 29(?).
Day 6
Season starts again at 7:30 AM ET.

Hope it helps.
MidnightHurricane

thanks for all the advice so far, keep it coming .. my initial thought, I am not thrilled about losing a 28 year old player to free agency .. all I can think of is, you draft an 18 year old, develop him for 4 years in the minors, he starts his major league career and becomes really good, and at 28 he is MVP calibur, and 15 other teams want him .. Bryce Harper leaves the Nats and signs with Padres .. oops shhhh not predicting the future lol

but I am still curious about the free agency period, should be exciting for my first time
hothomas

Post by hothomas »

hi there and welcome!

you are also seeing the effects of free agency already as teams dropping out of contention starts to trade pending free agents to contenders as rentals for whatever they can get back, provided that the contenders still have cap space to work with, so sensible short deals are valuable when it comes to being trade assets. having the cap space back in return also allows you then ( if you choose to) to eat up bad expiring contracts from other teams, for a considerable compensation of course, so that those teams in tight cap may be able to strengthen their teams for a run also... the funs of a salary league.
allenciox

Post by allenciox »

There is one thing that can work in the favor of the current team a player is on when they become free agents. Their leadership score, if it is B- or above, adds percentages to the bids of the team that player is on. An A+ leadership gives +28%, 21% for A leadership, etc.

So if you have a star player that has a high leadership score when he hits free agency --- your bids are worth more on that player than other team's bids are.

Return to “Kevin Brown League”