Ideas?

Discussions for the Charlie Finley League.
JonW1222

Ideas?

Post by JonW1222 »

Hey all, Most of us have been playing this game long enough to have thought of something that might make the game better. Me, I'd love to see the DH for the NL and AL. How many of us have a great hitter who sucks in the field?

Any ideas? It may not make any difference but we could submit something and who knows........
reddogs

Re: Ideas?

Post by reddogs »

totally dislike the dh, pinch hitting for pitchers forces you to use your full roster. But that is not your full point, so I would keep an open mind on other ideas.
historymann49

Post by historymann49 »

No DH, please. Open to other ideas.
JonW1222

Post by JonW1222 »

No big deal. I just think of that sometimes when I see a player who's all hit and no field.
historymann49

Post by historymann49 »

It probably wouldn't be practical in simulated games, but imagine if baseball had a two-platoon system like football. The eight best hitters would bat and the eight best fielders would play defense. On most teams there would be a lot of two-way guys but, as you mention, there are guys out there who can hit but are lousy in the field. It would also help guys like me who were good fielders but couldn't hit a lick.
Beanballs

Post by Beanballs »

And in the pay leagues there are a miriad of rules, including (but not limited to) salary leagues, variable development (players improve at different rates and some not at all), increased injuries (to prevent overuse of pitchers and to make the sim more realistic), win percentage modifier (to simulate a "winning culture" or rather penalize teams that try not to win and increase/decrease improvement rates), lotteries and/or loss penalties for draft position, salary leagues, and numbers leagues (where you see the numbers under the grade) or blind leagues (where you only see a whole letter omitting the +/-).

There are also different league speeds, many leagues are slower like this at 3 games per day, but there are 6GPD, 9GPD, 15GPD, 18GPD, and even 36GPD.

The problem the site has in recruiting new owners to the pay leagues, that is where the innovation is, and without new owners the site is struggling to replenish the pool and increase the demand, and the game is somewhat of a long term commitment and many want it all now and get frustrated because there are other owners just as passionate and competitive and it can be difficult, but not impossible.

If I had a change to the site it would make salary leagues to be mandatory, I think it would increase player movement and make rebuilds less painful, and have leagues end after a period of time and restart them, shuffling the deck every once in a while...
The Land of Pleasant Living
Beanballs

Post by Beanballs »

Oh and I would expand the minors, increase injuries, make every league variable development, while adding a batting eye skill for hitters and a stuff (or maybe makup) skill for pitchers, also adding a clutch modifier for both...
The Land of Pleasant Living
ratman44

Post by ratman44 »

I would get rid of all the CP leagues, in real life they work with everyone to make them better.

But to piggyback off of Beanballs ideas, make a Hustle or Drive category. Bobby Bonilla had all the talent in the world, he didn't have any drive. I would take a chase Utley every day of the week, that dude worked his but off to get to where he was.

I also would love an IQ, or Smarts category for everyone. It goes along with Utley, he would be one of those guys that ran down to first on a walk and would rocket right off to second if he knew the pitcher or whoever had the ball wasn't paying attention. He understood the game and situation. There are boneheads and geniuses out there.

Then my bugaboo is about the Pitching, Pitching with just 2 categories is not enough.

I also think there should be some sort of Pitch type category. So maybe Velocity, Control, Diversification, and Command.

Had a buddy in High school who actually pitched against me in legion, that had 5 pitches and he threw them all very well. He only threw low 90's for a fastball, but what set him apart was as a batter you could see 5 straight different pitches, and he normally used his curve or sinker to get you out, but if he had you 0-2 you would be looking for either one of those away, because that makes the most sense, and then he would sneak a fastball letter high for a called strike 3 and you would be left scratching your head, because there was no way in hell you would think that is what he would throw you. If he just had 2 pitches he would not have been nearly as effective.

In reality it should be pitch type and effectiveness of each pitch, but I know that makes it more difficult/confusing.
historymann49

Post by historymann49 »

ratmann44 Great idea about Pitch Diversity. As you say, velocity and control are important but if you only have 2 pitches...
I also like the idea about a Smarts category.

Return to “Charlie Finley League”