Stats

Discussions for the Charlie Finley League.
historymann49

Stats

Post by historymann49 »

Hi everyone:
I'm new to Sim and I have been surprised to see that many of my players have compiled stats well below what their skill ratings would seem to indicate. I realize that chance comes into play, but we've played over 50 games now and I would have expected chance outcomes to have evened out. And some "chance" outcomes seem really bizarre - like nearly an entire lineup being in slumps at the same time. Have any of you experienced anything similar? Should I be more patient? I enjoy participating, but.......
Tom (Brooklyn)
JonW1222

Re: Stats

Post by JonW1222 »

Yeah, I have a closer that falls into that category. With the exception of him actually getting saves, the rest of his stats suck.
http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=12832287
Beanballs

Post by Beanballs »

One thing you have to consider about the sim is that seasons (especially here in the trial leagues) are small sample sizes, even decades would be considered small sample sizes.

Some things to consider when analyzing players skills, power is generally more important than contact (but low grades in either are to be avoided), speed plays a role in base running but almost as importantly it plays a large role in getting on base (especially when combined with a high bunting skill), control for pitchers is more important than velocity (a B-/A+ velocity/control pitcher can be a stud while a A+/B- vel/cont pitcher will be erratic), but as with hitters low grades in a skill will make a player ineffective.

Another factor in the skills is that a grade is a range, it has a number underneath the grade, so if a player is A+ he could be anywhere from 92-100, take a look at this page:

http://rules.simdynasty.com/index.php/S ... cal_Values

That will allow for a great range of results because two players that look the same might have very different ratings, while another important factor is overall league talent, in leagues with high talent levels good players will be average, while in a low talent level league the opposite might be true.

The trial leagues reboot every three seasons so we get a new crop of players that are copies of pay leagues, leagues that have very different rules and developmental systems, so you have to adjust expectations based on the league talent (our current talent level is relatively high).

If you have any questions feel free to post here, this league is a stepping stone league that has vanilla rules, many of us here though have significant experience and knowlege and are happy to pass it on, or even shoot me a u2u, I am happy to help---John
The Land of Pleasant Living
JonW1222

Post by JonW1222 »

Great explanation Beanballs. Thanks!
Beanballs

Post by Beanballs »

Think of each play as being coin flips (weighted by the skills), because you flip heads three times in a row does not mean the next one is heads, nor will the next three be tails to balance it out, rather it is still a 50/50 proposition.

Game management is a huge part of the sim as well, setting lineups up, pitching your best pitchers as fresh as they can be when it means the most, putting out a good defensive team (important considerations are catcher arms must be A- or better, outfield arms must be B or better, good range in the IF, etc..,), and pinch hitting in key spots while developing your young talent either by playing them (they convert Improvement Chances in the offseason) or developing in the minors (ICs are immediate).

The game is simple yet complex (which is why I still enjoy it more than 10 years real time later), and as I said feel free to reach out with a question, I can either try to explain it or get you the right info...
The Land of Pleasant Living
historymann49

Post by historymann49 »

Thanks for the information. I'll be sure to reach out with any specific questions I have.
ratman44

Post by ratman44 »

Beanballs mentioned it but I think the other thing is the level of competition.

I saw admin answer a question once with the narrative that the game was originally created so the average player would be a C+, but they changed the formula overtime. But in that scenario an A overall player would be completely dominant.

So if you look at a league and see most of the players are A- it means the distribution of talent is wide, the disparity of outlying statistical anomalies will grow smaller. The elite player will be normalized, and not produce monster stats.

So to give you a great example, I am in 2 dynasty leagues, the one is littered with A overall pitchers and A and A- hitters, the other is not, in fact the other one has only 4 A overall SP, and multitudes of line-ups with B overall players in the starting line-up. So here are 2 hitters to ponder the one has been an A- since he was 23, the other is a B overall at 23 (Although he would be a B+ if he had any defense what so ever.)

http://simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id=123 ... imps=stats

http://simdynasty.com/player.jsp?player ... d=12684701

I don't think you would get an argument from too many people at who the better player is out of the 2 of them grade wise. But you can tell which one faces the weaker competition. So you need to really factor that into your thought process.

Then just to go back to the importance of Speed, speed kills. Speed eliminates DPs, speed creates infield singles, speed is important.

Return to “Charlie Finley League”