Ciao, amici!

Discussions for the Charlie Finley League.
historymann49

Ciao, amici!

Post by historymann49 »

Being in the CFL was a good introduction to SIM - learning the system, how to manage a team, etc. - and I had a lot of fun with it. But, having learned, a Trial League becomes pointless. It's virtually impossible to develop young players in 3 half seasons; you either get a good initial draft or you don't. I was able to develop one solid player - who made his debut yesterday! Now that 1952 is coming to a close, I've decided to focus on my other teams and bid a fond farewell to the CFL, the Brooklyn Raiders, my players (of whom I've grown quite fond - it will be sad to see them disappear into the void), and my fellow owners. I had a good time, and I wish you all the best in the future. Those of you who have teams in my other leagues, I'll "see" you there. To the rest of you, keep swinging for the fences. Ciao!
Beanballs

Re: Ciao, amici!

Post by Beanballs »

I would ask that you (and anyone around this tour) to consider sticking around, one bonus for playing in the trial leagues is that we get one dynasty dollar for every win here, which might not seem like much but it helps in renewal for the pay leagues (after a year you could gain 500-700 extra dynasty dollars).

Also this is the best trial league with many experienced owners, the trial leagues are a good place to try new managerial settings and strategies, and Jon does an excellent job keeping the history (right up your alley!) of the league. So please stay!!!
The Land of Pleasant Living
JonW1222

Post by JonW1222 »

Yes, we would love to have you stay. I have several players (starters now), that I developed in the minors so it is possible but you're right, you do need a good draft. Along with the DD's for wins, you can upvote the game and earn two more, daily. Anyway, think about it!
Oh, and thank you Beanballs!
ratman44

Post by ratman44 »

I have 5 guys that I drafted that were 20-21 now in the bigs after developing for 2 years.

But I have to agree with what they said, the real benefit of this is it is free and you can try crazy things to see what they do.

There is a guy in my one league that only has 4 real pitchers, and he uses 2 of them out of the bullpen at all times and they both throw 350+ innings and he has really weird pitching settings, but I am sure he honed those settings in at in one of these leagues. You can experiment and learn here. A free league is where I found the glorious hitting prowess of the A+ bunter.

So to give up on free leagues altogether is crazy. Do I spend a lot of time on this team, no not really, but what you learn here is extremely beneficial.
Beanballs

Post by Beanballs »

I started back in 2007 in the Chuck Tanner League, they called it Single Season Leagues back then (I think they rebooted every year), and not long after I started my first pay league.

Going through my dynasty dollars here is the first one awarded from this league:

2013-07-15 Single Season Win Game won on 1952-09-11 in Charlie Finley League D$1

So I probably started a month or two earlier than that here, over 5 years real time!

And as Jon mentioned use the voting to gain extra dynasty dollars, you can do it once a day for 2 dynasty dollars.

Go to Dynasty Dollars---Free Credits, then vote, it adds up along with the free ones here from wins...
Beanballs

Post by Beanballs »

Another reason I used to be in several leagues was to "park" managerial settings, that way I could quickly copy them to a team if I so chose.

Oh and I have always tried to play in the leagues to help mentor new owners and recruit for the pay leagues, including some here...
bdavids28

Post by bdavids28 »

It was great having you in the league, we will miss you! Best of luck wherever you go next.

Return to “Charlie Finley League”