100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 9

dabigtrain

Re: 8 for sale

Post by dabigtrain »

FYI, admin replied to my question on contracting the league:

"If you contract, what will happen right now is the player cards for the contracted teams will have links at the top of the card to the original player. I am working on a fully merged card and when that happens it will apply retroactively. So with those links the stats are there, they are just inconvenient (for now). See this card for an example of a player card with the merge link.

Then I asked if Minion's idea - retire the eight abandoned teams and all their players, and just continue - was feasible, and he said:

"Unfortunately, the game isn't designed for leagues to have different numbers of teams in different seasons."

So - if we contract, it's back to 1950 with a new league - the "Wood Jeter League," perhaps?
Last edited by dabigtrain on Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minions

Post by Minions »

its funny how he calls this "inconvenient" but its an improvement over what we have now with the merger here. In order for me to see what my older players have done pre-merger, I need to go into the other league and essentially open up both cards to analyze performance. This perhaps is inconvenient for him to program in, which I can understand completely, but I think its efficient enough to get the job done.
Greyfan

Post by Greyfan »

I'm not going to be upset either way it goes, but my preference would be to retire the players on the defunct teams. In my imagination it would be that the 8 teams that left split off to form their own league, and the leagues, in retaliation, instituted a rule banning the defecting players for life. I think something like that happened with the Federal League back in the early 20th century, or maybe when the American League first started up, or or at least it was threatened. Probably overturned later.
Minions

Post by Minions »

it looks like someone watched Ken Burns' documentary, for I remember watching something similar to that lol. Some of those teams are really talented, and some are not. The talent loss wont be too significant since none of those teams are winning anyways, even with some more advanced talent on them. It just sucks that we have to do this, some of those abandoned teams had some legacy owners who were excellent competitors, but life and the slow trend at this site for people to cut back have just eaten away at too many leagues. Fortunately, we had an abundance of teams and contracting is the problem, not finding another league to merge with to keep something of the league alive. Hopefully the 16 team league that falls out of this will have strong ownership (which appears to be the case) and we have very little turnover going forward.

Thanks to all those who are here, and thanks dual-commishes to keeping things going.
Beanballs

Post by Beanballs »

And if you guys lose someone else I might stick around, I just was frustrated with the amount of unowned teams and wanted to bow out if it made things easier for you guys. I also might be interested in making some trades (fair ones) so I can make one last run here...
The Land of Pleasant Living
mrspikey

Post by mrspikey »

Let's contract and go with 16. Save stats if we can.
Beanballs

Post by Beanballs »

Train you might want to take the teams that are for sale off the board in the unlikely chance somebody buys one...
dabigtrain

Post by dabigtrain »

I'll leave them up for now - they're all password protected anyway, so no one can slip in undetected, and I'd prefer to wait until admin says yeah, you can contract the league. Since so far, no one has said "if we go down to 16 teams, I"m out," I'll ask him now what the next step is.
Beanballs

Post by Beanballs »

Looks like I will lose control of my team in the next few days, I have messaged Chris several times through support to transfer a credit I had for another team that sold to have the team at least through the season, but have not heard anything. I will try to set the lineups the best I can and hope the Bohs make one more run in my absence!
Return_of_the_Bucos

Post by Return_of_the_Bucos »

I was thinking some sort of limits though. Letting each team select up to 2-3 guys from the teams that are contracting and then retiring the rest.

Return to “Jeter Wood League”