Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 9

dabigtrain

8 for sale

Post by dabigtrain »

As you may have noticed below, Baltimore is going up for sale. This will put eight teams from our league on the "available teams" list, which has grown to something like 200 teams. I doubt we're going to get any new owners, absent some huge marketing push (which I don't see in the cards either).

So - we have eight teams for sale, leaving sixteen active teams, eight in each league. It seems obvious to me that we should contract back to 16 teams, but I'm willing to hear counter-arguments. I've set this up as a poll on which you can change your vote at any time in the next ten days; you can either just vote and be done with it, or if you read something that makes you change your mind, you can go back and change your vote. I

The home page shows "Merge Information" - I don't actually know if any leagues have contracted yet. If there's enough interest, I'll broach the topic with the admins.
Minions

Re: 8 for sale

Post by Minions »

I'm kicking the vote off by saying yes (and i did select it in the poll). There's just no chance we fill half those spots right now in this environment, and its just too hard to manage 8 vacant teams efficiently. Lets go to the admin and initiate the discussion. Obviously we need to complete this season first, but hopefully by then a process is in place.
fg

Post by fg »

would the stats reset? this is shame, its a wonderful league.
Greyfan

Post by Greyfan »

I'm for contraction, but I'd also be in favor of continuing on with absent owners until stats could be salvaged, if that's going to become a reality in the next couple of months. Of course I'm not the one who has to manage the 8 missing teams either.
Pierzynski

Post by Pierzynski »

Let's just save the hassle of trying to add 8 more teams. We haven't had a single replacement since the 1984 season.

I vote for contraction to 16 teams.
MortonsFork

Post by MortonsFork »

Seems obvious, at least for the moment. -- Morty

PS: I'm with Greyfan and would suggest that botting the eight teams would alleviate the stress on commish. Not perfect, of course, but I should think that retaining the stats has plenty of value for many owners. And, if we waited a while, might not another league facing similar issues offer an opportunity for merger rather than contraction? Just a thought.
Minions

Post by Minions »

Unfortunately, another merger would mean we start over again and lose the stats again. I'm hoping what could happen is they just "retire" all the players on said teams, and the remaining 16 can just move on ahead. It just sucks that some real talent would be lost, but if we had an expansion draft, every team would be solid then and this league would not be as fun.
dabigtrain

Post by dabigtrain »

Admin says he's working on a merge process that keeps links to old stats; I've asked him if he has a similar plan for contraction, and will relay his answer to you all.

That said, Minion's statement: "I'm hoping what could happen is they just "retire" all the players on said teams, and the remaining 16 can just move on ahead" sounds about right to me. If that's do-able, it might be the best option.
Return_of_the_Bucos

Post by Return_of_the_Bucos »

I'm in favor of retraction but don't like the idea of retiring everyone from those teams in mass. Not sure how it would work, but being able to draft/acquire some of those players that are still getting improvement chances (as well as letting some "stars" finish out their careers stat-wise) would be preferable. Just my opinion.
Minions

Post by Minions »

I'd love to do that too Buco's, for I'm a milestone dork. Unfortunately, I'm also scared of adding talent from those deleted teams to everyone else's rosters and making the league too talent strong across the board. I also say this because I am on the last season of a major rebuild and expect to compete for titles going forward and want to reap some of what I have worked for lol.

I'm all for, when the offseason runs, having a delay on when the season runs in order to have "trades" happen. Someone can submit a trade proposal that can be voted on, so a fair trade can be had with a fair offer. My fear is if we do ultimately have a dispersion draft, a player like Hal Johnson on Minnesota, Jimmy Reis on Baltimore, or some of the players on Boston can in my mind unfairly swing the balance in a division if a player draft was instituted. There are some players that should stick around, like Charlie Helfand, but we dont do a HOF here anyways right now, so that may not matter either.

Anyway we look at it, this is a tough decision to make and an easy answer is not there.

Return to “Jeter Wood League”