Searching for diamonds in the rough?

Discussions for the Luis Aparicio League.

Moderator: 262run

Roaddog

Searching for diamonds in the rough?

Post by Roaddog »

That is some pitching staff Miami is sporting right now. They all have pretty good velocity, but not a man above D in control.
Beanballs

Re: Searching for diamonds in the rough?

Post by Beanballs »

The bad part is that this league is set up to discourage tanking, the Win Percentage Modifier will kill teams that are significantly below the 75 win threshold (I know from experience in another league), and even to tank to get a prospect potentially means that you will only draft a top 3 bust.

There are a few teams that are not trying to win every game, and in the long run that only punishes themselves and helps the other teams in the league that get those extra wins, I would be fully in favor to review league talent minimums and looking at the retirement rule...
The Land of Pleasant Living
Beanballs

Post by Beanballs »

And I have no problem playing a green letter guy if he is a potential bust in minors/gem in the bigs, but man that is pretty blatant. Those teams going for the top picks are running out some bad rosters while clearly resting/DL'ing superior talent...
ptech

Post by ptech »

Credit to Oakland. That's a pretty bad team, but he's running out his best guys most of the time.
Beanballs

Post by Beanballs »

ptech wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:01 am Credit to Oakland. That's a pretty bad team, but he's running out his best guys most of the time.
Agreed. maybe that is why he is 4th overall
lyle

Post by lyle »

Its been rare that we get any red letter guys in the draft let alone a young one. I guess there is a race for him. But I think this is one of the better drafts in while. Everybody will have a chance at a pretty good player or at least a young one to shape in the first two rounds. As the owner of the Reds I have been a little sleep at the wheel but I think I'm making the turn in the right direction soon. Despite my token old farts I am playing mostly early to mid 20's position players. I have 7 young fielders with 96 or more starts, 5 with more than 130 starts. So hopefully despite being below the win curve those guys get a handful of train points and help become leaders of a better team in about two seasons. Just need to pick up a few pitchers via draft or trade to go along with them and then... just maybe... the Reds will matter again... :D :D ;) ;) :D :D
262run

Post by 262run »

We could certainly create league rules where no players less than a C+ rating overall were allowed in the majors. We could also require no pitcher in the majors be allowed less than C- control. However, I am not certain what percentage of the owners would have to approve. I believe it is merely a majority for rules of this nature. Additionally, the rule would really be unenforceable, and only a gentleman's agreement. Just my initial thoughts.
Jim~
Minions

Post by Minions »

I'm actually fine with this guys approach, for it took a lot of work for my team to get out of cp hell here, and if he's only going to get one player for each draft he does this, its going to be an eternal rebuild. You need to strike it rich with others, and if they wont get the cp love in the majors they deserve, b+ guys will never turn red letter. Let him truly suck and get a few players, for red letter youngsters wont always be there, and in the long run he'll suffer.
Beanballs

Post by Beanballs »

Well they all were mass waived once the season was over, so the search was short and the purpose was served (with a complimentary pink slip and a tie for the worst record). So if anyone wants to continue the diamond search have at it!
Minions

Post by Minions »

I guess what would make me laugh the most is if they did draft Rosario. A top notch closer isnt what you need with a team rebuilding. You need to get to the 9th inning with a lead, and having a crappy team means lots of bench time for your ace closer. Robertson is probably the true target, but I'd be happy just to have a #1 in this draft.

Return to “Luis Aparicio League”