Good luck in 2041

Discussions for the Mickey Mantle League.
Dogbelly

Good luck in 2041

Post by Dogbelly »

Tomorrow the Buffaloes begin their first season in the MML and we'd like to wish everyone the best of luck.

Since I joined, I've been trying to gauge the overall talent level of the players in this league, tweaking and setting my preferences, and reading the highly interesting posts on the message boards.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting started.
spicoli306

Re: Good luck in 2041

Post by spicoli306 »

I'm glad to have you taking over Seattle.

Good start at 3-0 on the first day! You've got your work cut out for you in the AL though. Not that the NL isn't tough as well, but you know what I mean. I expect the playoff race to go down to the wire again like what happened in 2039.

On a side note, my Chicago team was nearly no-hit by one of your predecessor's former pitchers. I love pointing out compton's mistakes and that looks like it might end up being a big one if Prior can get to that next gear.
redcped

Post by redcped »

I think there's a little less talent across the board here, and the WW is fairly useless. Generally i attribute this to some turnover of owners and some arguably poor development choices that took place because of that.

You can do pretty well with some weaknesses here, which isn't true in many speed leagues. That also means a good trade can have a lot of impact, too.
Dogbelly

Post by Dogbelly »

Well, if this team is going to do anything it needs to be this season. Three of my starters are 36 OS and there is nothing coming up in the minors. Also, my bullpen sux. The line up is ok for now. And I don't even have much to use as trade-bait, so if I can compete for a season or two, I better enjoy it because there's an ice-age coming for the Buffaloes. Sigh ... My Kind of Team (MKOT). ;)

3-0 is not a bad debut. I am mindful that what goes up oft comes down with a big thud. And, yes, Spicoli, it would have been nice to still have Prior on this squad. Or at least some decent prospects of which I have none ... MKOT

Jason, that's what I came up with. I don't have much experience with System 5 but I tend to think it would be a talent accelerator(?) I have not run the numbers but that's the way it seems at first glance.

Anyway, I might as well take this opportunity to announce the Buffaloes will be moving to New York next season in part because SD has not put Houston in the AL yet. Besides, Seattle is much too rainy for me.

Dogbelly
a.k.a. Sal
spicoli306

Post by spicoli306 »

Hideo Ando's looking like a solid pick. Out of the 3 foreign players taken in the 1st round, I liked him better than both Tatsuya Morita (2) and Mamoru Kamei (6). Still wasn't going to take him at #8 with an aging roster that needs to rebuild, but for what it's worth I think he'll do fine for your team as a corner outfielder.

Interesting how you chose New York for your moving destination. Does that mean the New York refers (hypothetically of course) to the state then rather than the city? I'm curious because of the Buffalo nickname. I always liked teams named after the state rather than the city. I much prefer the California Angels to the Los Angeles Angels in Anaheim in addition to the Florida Marlins as opposed to the Miami Marlins.

-Michael
Dogbelly

Post by Dogbelly »

Well, Michael, I guess it's just going to take some time for me to get this team the way I'd like it.

That's a very interesting hypothesis about my team name and choice of cities. I actually wish I'd have thought of that. lol
The truth is the team name and city choice took some thought and evolved from a combination of things.

The Buffaloes
- I've always had a fondness for the animal and often wished I could have one for a pet but my team was named for the Houston Buffaloes, Houston's Texas League team that predated the Colt 45's who later became the Astros.

New York - I have been to Seattle many times and never found the weather to my liking. (No offense to any of you Seattle-ites reading this)
To date, SD has not moved Houston to the AL, so that option was out. Being an old-school kind of guy, I tend to be nostalgic about the eight AL-MLB teams that existed when I was a kid getting hooked on baseball. Although I've lived in the Houston Area for the last 44 years, I was born and raised in New York City. (The first major league game I ever saw was Dodgers vs. Phillies at Ebbets Field)

So, NY was the logical choice, you see?

I suppose I could have chosen Texas - Texas Buffaloes - but that didn't seem right somehow.

I wish SD would give us a team city option, like, Tokyo. The Tokyo Buffaloes umm.
spicoli306

Post by spicoli306 »

The New York/Buffaloes connection that I was thinking of was the city of Buffalo. Obviously, based on your answer, that wasn't what you were thinking of. :lol: I guess it would be pretty weird to have a New York Buffaloes that was hosted in the city of Buffalo. It would be pretty hilarious if a sports team was to do something as ridiculous as calling themselves the Buffalo Buffaloes, though.

You could certainly associate the state of Washington with wild buffaloes, but it's when you bring in the Seattle part of the equation when it starts to sound weird.

The Houston Colt 45's is one of the coolest nicknames, in my opinion. Of course, even if Houston hadn't switched to the Astros in '65, it would have likely been changed for political correctness like the Washington Bullets.

Return to “Mickey Mantle League”