#1 overall pick

Discussions for the Mickey Mantle League.
Metsamess

#1 overall pick

Post by Metsamess »

In this year’s draft is available for trade.
AllenMac

Re: #1 overall pick

Post by AllenMac »

Yeah. Pretty bleak draft ...
Descent54

Post by Descent54 »

I really don't know why they even bother listing 100 players when there are usually no more than 30 players worth looking at.

It is no wonder that there are so many teams for sale.
Metsamess

Post by Metsamess »

I’ve been thinking the same thing. The draft should be an owner highlight each season but if the pool of players just sucks, it just makes you think you’re wasting your time.

I’ve participated in about 100 sim seasons and I love to build teams from the ground up. But, I need semi-useful players in order to do so.
Descent54

Post by Descent54 »

This has been going on for years, and getting progressively, worse.

What is the point in having 5 rounds if you can't even get 2 picks out of the draft? Oh yeah, occasionally, you score with a 3rd rounder, I have had a few. But for most part, the only owners that score constantly in the first 2 are the tankers. You know the guys who can't build a team legitimately, but only by losing and piling up the draft picks. I know, I know, a viable strategy. Big deal.

All their championships don't mean squat.

G
spicoli306

Post by spicoli306 »

Descent54 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:25 pm This has been going on for years, and getting progressively, worse.

What is the point in having 5 rounds if you can't even get 2 picks out of the draft? Oh yeah, occasionally, you score with a 3rd rounder, I have had a few. But for most part, the only owners that score constantly in the first 2 are the tankers. You know the guys who can't build a team legitimately, but only by losing and piling up the draft picks. I know, I know, a viable strategy. Big deal.

All their championships don't mean squat.

G
I'm confused. Is every one of the 100 players in the draft pool supposed to be good? That would mean every season there are 100 good players added to the player pool. Considering the fact that we have 400 roster spots to fill, that seems about 5x too much talent. Certainly more than a league would possibly need.

Or, is it much more likely...tanking teams are crying sour grapes because there isn't the type of transformational future Hall-of-Famers like Mike Allred, Gordon Santiago, or George Brown. Jeez, with the way you guys are talking, it almost feels like you'd throw a fit if your #1 overall ONLY turned into a merely excellent pitcher in the mold of Al Clabaugh. Where are the Cy Youngs?!?!? :cry:

Here's what I like to get when I am building a non-contender into a playoff contender: 1) a hopeful 4-8 time All-Star with my early 1st round pick, 2) either a lottery ticket younger prospect or a possible bench/bullpen guy with my early 2nd round pick. Anything more is just luck. In the rare case that I end up with 3 or 4 prospects in the same draft, it's likely bittersweet because there just aren't enough CP opportunities out there for them all in the minors and eventually in the majors.

The Mickey Mantle League is a very good Dynasty League with some very good owners. If you think you can compete with the quality rosters put together by the Detroit franchise (3 Championships in 4 seasons), the Washington franchise (4 Championships in 6 seasons), or the Brooklyn franchise (10 playoffs in 12 seasons with 3 World Series & 1 championship), you're going to have to do better than just drafting the best major-league ready arm/bat at #1. Also, why complain about the lack of top-shelf talent when you are just going to ruin them by promoting them to the majors at 20?
spicoli306

Post by spicoli306 »

Wait, Descent54, are you taking a piss out of Metsamess' initial post? Because the owner that took Ben Wade at 11th overall, certainly wouldn't be in the "I need the #1 overall every year & I need that player to be amazing" camp. :D

The only thing I can legitimately see Washington's owner being sour about is the unfair advantage Detroit managed to finagle with the whole Allred-Kennedy trade.

Return to “Mickey Mantle League”