Pitches 13 +, only to lose 1 - 0. Why, Abe.

Discussions for the Mickey Mantle League.
Descent54

Pitches 13 +, only to lose 1 - 0. Why, Abe.

Post by Descent54 »

http://www.simdynasty.com/boxscore.jsp? ... 3&cityid=8

First time I have seen a pitcher go this long just to lose.
Last edited by Descent54 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PetesFan

Re: Pitches 13 +, only to lose 1 - 0. Why, Abe.

Post by PetesFan »

That one was a tough one to lose … especially on singles.

Ian
spicoli306

Post by spicoli306 »

Descent54 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:08 pm http://www.simdynasty.com/boxscore.jsp? ... 3&cityid=8

First time I have seen a pitcher go this long just to lose.
How did you manage to keep Ben Wade in for that long? I see he's got 6 CG (should really be considered 7, since 13.1 IP game wasn't technically a complete game), so I assume you like to keep your starters in as long as possible under most circumstances.

Based on my Manager Preferences,
When a SP begins to tire, bring in a new pitcher: Only in Certain Circumstances
->SP has given up 2 Earned Runs or 10 ER+Hits+Walks+HBP

Amazingly, even after the 13th inning, Wade had only given up only 4 Hits (No ER, BBs, or HBP)! :o Just based on that criteria, Wade would have continued to pitch for me.

My personal failsafe in this situation would have been the Pinch Hit rules:

If a SP is tired and comes to bat, he should be pinch hit for Automatically.

This setting is probably overly conservative and means my starters don't go deep often, but it generally keeps a starter from hitting the proverbially wall via SimDynasty's effectiveness coding. Also, I have to believe having Wade hit in the 10th & 12th innings was a missed opportunity to drive in the game-winning run.
Descent54

Post by Descent54 »

To be honest with you in the 11 years playing this game, the only thing I have ever adjusted under the manager preference was base stealing.

:D

GregWashington)
spicoli306

Post by spicoli306 »

Descent54 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:37 pm To be honest with you in the 11 years playing this game, the only thing I have ever adjusted under the manager preference was base stealing.

GregWashington)
Wow. You should really consider bringing in your infielders more often. I have a feeling with some of your amazing fielders, you would be able benefit by being more aggressive. Guys like Joe Hale and Bill Warmoth could likely do some serious damage if you played them in more often.

I don't have a lot of scenarios that I set up on the Defense Manager Prefs, but I like these 2 in the 5-9th innings:
Outs Runner on 1st Runner on 2nd Runner on 3rd
1 No No The Winning Run Infield In
1 Yes No The Tying Run Infield In

Essentially, trying to avoid the runner on 3rd base being easily able to score on a groundout. I haven't tracked much of it's effectiveness, but I feel like it has kept a handful of runs from scoring each season. The 2nd scenario is obviously trying for the GIDP in order to end the inning.

I feel like you might be sacrificing a bit by not having more aggressive pinch-hitting, but if you don't normally have strong hitters on your bench, that might be less important. I typically end up with maybe 1 AB/season for my Relief Pitchers. You're relief pitchers have gone a combined 1-21 with 9 K's. That has to hurt your offense.
Descent54

Post by Descent54 »

Thanks for the feedback!

Greg(Washington)MML

Return to “Mickey Mantle League”