Cap problem/league issue

Discussions for the Barry Zito League.

Moderator: ballmark

jxroth

Cap problem/league issue

Post by jxroth »

So now Texas is over the 80 mln cap and got there by claiming a player off of waivers. Which means that it wasn't just the quirk of being unable to control free agency signings, but instead this was intentional. If it is okay (with no penalty) to intentionally go over the cap then the cap is meaningless. I understand that the Sim code penalizes the team but then the end result of that is weakened competitive balance and the penalized team picking first in the next draft. What a penalty. In Texas' case, you could have gotten under the cap even after picking that player up by dropping players under 28 OS. But it seems unacceptable to me that a team can go over the cap by picking a waiver wire person and then keep all the young players they have as well. This has to be a balanced decision...the waiver guy or the young players that would have to be dropped to obtain the waiver guy and stay within league rules. So my main point, though, is that the cap system isn't working if people can ignore with impunity. I'd like the rest of the league to weigh in on this, please.

Thanks.
Jx
ballmark

Re: Cap problem/league issue

Post by ballmark »

We've already given people a "leg up" by minimizing the under 40 players penalty :arrow: a team can now spend $79.25 million on their active roster and still not go over the cap even with NO ONE in their minor league system.

But what it all comes down to, JX, is how often are you willing to check and police Team Salaries?

And what kind of penalties will carry enough weight to serve as a check against an owner ramming his salary total over the line? Repeatedly?

And when do you apply them? After one offense? Two? One large? Three small? Over the course of one season? Multiple seasons? Is there a habit of salary cap neglect that must be addressed? My head is starting to hurt and I am feeling sorry for the amount of work you are laying out for yourself.

Society works in large part because people agree to live by both the written and unwritten social rules of interaction and polite convention. It would be nice to think that a microcosmic subset of 16 individuals could live and play together abiding by an agreed upon set of rules without having to resort to draconian measures.

But I get it. It's definitely not fair for one team to take advantage of "living above their means" - even if temporarily - when no one else (or hardly anyone else) is doing so. I am just flabbergasted at what can seriously be done about it without scaring people away.
Astros17

Post by Astros17 »

There should be Salary cap increases each year If trades are made there could be a say a 1 series of games grace period. There also can be a quicker waiver wire pickup mode Penalties? What are the penalties now and how are they functionable? Texas will be under the cap once the player is picked up he has been claimed We can have suggestions and have a vote then present it? To get an unanimous vote of inclination might be tough?? Have a higher cap if a non increase is not attainable?
bmarkley

Post by bmarkley »

JX, I see your point about being over the cap and not doing anything to get under, thus tanking the season and receiving the No. 1 pick in the draft. However, it will also hurt your prestige ranking as you likely won't have a good record, or any All Star players. That being said, I don't think the prestige hit alone is significant enough, there needs to be another penalty.

I also agree with Ballmark about the amount of potential scenarios we are talking about.

In regards to the scenario where a team goes over the cap just after the beginning of the season which includes Free Agency and Waiver Claims, II do believe a grace period should be allowed without long-term penalty. Maybe the first month of the season? I'd be good with something like this: "If on 5/1/## (of current season) a team is still over the 80 million cap then the upcoming round 1 draft pick is voided by the offending team(s)."
Ben
Salary League Owner:
Detroit Mustangs (BZL)
timemry

Post by timemry »

I think the current system and penalties are sufficient.
Wolverine1

Post by Wolverine1 »

First I think proving a team is tanking is extreme difficult Teams are allowed to play young players if they are rebuilding starting over etc League has a cap yes but doesn't have a minimum a team must spend? Therefore no team is obligated to spend in FA A minimum cap would make sure all teams at least spend an approved league minimum Also seems all teams are under now A grace period is important as teams should not be locked in right away as teams don't really have a feel for there teams yet. The cap should also be expanded every year a certain amount That's how its done in the pros and is a good idea There also should be injury exemptions as If players get hurt and a team needs to waiver in they could go over the cap? Lots of things need looking at IF A Cap league is to be viable
TheProfessorAND1

Post by TheProfessorAND1 »

there's no need to increase the salary cap because the minimum salary and rookie scale contracts stay static. the only reason the salary caps in real life go up is because there's in increase in these values every year. our minimum salary is $0.50 million every year
timemry

Post by timemry »

What on earth is going on???
No team is over the cap right now.
We have a hard cap of 85M and any team that goes over that loses a pick.
If a team is 84.99 to 80.01 they suffer a severe hit to the skill of their players. Trust me, it is not something that can be overcome.
We cant force a team to spend a minimum, etc.
The system is working.
Deep breath...and play ball!

Return to “Barry Zito League”