ALCS Key Plays (Spoilers Inside)

Discussions for the Barry Zito League.

Moderator: ballmark

ballmark

ALCS Key Plays (Spoilers Inside)

Post by ballmark »

So Kansas City, who led the AL up until the next to last day of the season, wound up playing Wild Card to Washington. Which is fine, Mr. Emry has historically performed exceptionally well in this league and our hat is off to the Insiders for once again capturing the regular season crown. Frankly, we feel lucky to have gotten by them in the ALCS. Every game really seemed to come down to one key play. Some big, some small.

Game 1: ABE pinch-hit for SP Ralph Gross in the 7th when Ralph was throwing on one-hitter! Say what? But the game was tied and PH Al Hickman drew a walk. A groundout later he was on second base. With a runner in scoring position, the Insiders were pitching carefully to dangerous Clipper Walter Bass, who had a .315 average and wound up walking him, putting two men on. RF Randy Cordero, who leads KC with 27 HR, then ripped a double to right center, plating both runners and giving KC the winning margin, 2-0.

Game 2: Bit more of a slugfest as Washington won 8-7, but there were a couple of key "bonehead" moments where KC could easily have been able to - perhaps - score another run or two and pull this one out. After 2b Mike Miles doubled to score a run in the fifth, he was picked off second base for the final out. In the seventh, Walter Bass was caught trying to steal third base for the last out. What's that major league proverb? "Never make the last out at third base"...? Meanwhile, Washington's Bill Thomas smashed a pair of home runs to lead the Insiders to victory.

Game 3: Another well-pitched affair that ended after nine in a 1-1 tie and I counted no less than five "great plays" by both teams' defense. Don't ever think defense doesn't matter in the Sim. But I think the key play happened in the top of the ninth when Washington catcher Tommy Swanson was trying to score on a sac fly to center field, but KC's Pepe Stephenson cut him down at home plate. Pepe has been an unheralded help for us all year off the bench. C Jake Peterson's walk off HR in the 10th sealed it for KC.

Game 4: The fans were dubious when SP Matt Grubbs was tapped to start this game until Manager Spud McFarland pointed out he's 8-0 at home. But I think the key play here is what Mike Miles did in the seventh inning. He hit a home run. He's hit exactly **3** all year long. And this is where I also point out that Kansas City has the largest friggin ball park in the entire BZL. Mike Miles is your typical banjo "choke up on the bat, get a base hit and steal your way to third great glove" kind of player, but in this game he had the hit that made the difference.

Game 5: Though the score was 6-5 for KC, it was a game closer than it sounded. Washington was up 3-2 going into the bottom of the eighth. There really wasn't a "key" play I can see here. The Insiders brought in a reliever who couldn't get the job done today, and the same thing happened to the Clippers in the ninth, except we brought in a second reliever, who did get the job done ... just in the nick of time.

I'm sure Tim has a different perspective on these games, but that's how I saw it happen. Great series, buddy! I'll try to keep the AL proud in the World Series.
timemry

Re: ALCS Key Plays (Spoilers Inside)

Post by timemry »

Very nice write up. Congrats on the victory. I wasn’t able to follow any of it as I am on the road this weekend and was at a football game yesterday (Go JMU Dukes).
Good luck in the WS
blumer5

Post by blumer5 »

This is great mark! Congrats on the great season
GhostofKong

Post by GhostofKong »

Congrats on number 3, Mark! The BZL titles are the sweetest!
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

Thank you! I thought it would be tough with LAN having just been there a couple seasons back but it seems the Insiders honed our fighting spirit to a keen edge and with 4-time Cy Young winner Bobby McDowell available to pitch more often plus home field advantage, we took advantage of both options and exploited them to the fullest.

Maybe next year, chbutt! That's the beauty of the Salary League!

May ABE smile on all your OS improves and we'll see everyone in the free agent marketplace!
chbutt

Post by chbutt »

Congrats! Your team made a statement by hammering my ace in game one. At least there was a great draft this year. Didn't help me since I traded my #1 but Oakland made out like a bandit.

Return to “Barry Zito League”