Houston 5 SFG 0

Discussions for the Charlie Grimm League.
jimbowie

Houston 5 SFG 0

Post by jimbowie »

Houston 5 San Francisco 0

The New York Times renown sportswriter Jack Smith picks Houston to win the National League pennant. ''They won the first game of the series with San Francisco 4-3 on a walk off single by Angel Santiago and then come out in the second game and get a masterpiece game from their starter. I say they stay hot and win it all.''

The Starlings have gone 18-8 in August, won nine of their last ten and three straight. Smith may be on firm ground in what he says.

The pitching masterpiece he spoke of was their 5-0 shut down of the Giants. Starlings starter Vicente Cabrara allowed just one hit and two baserunners as he completely throttled the Giants lineup. Cabrara did not walk a batter and struck out eight.

The only hit in the game came in the second inning when Billy Baumgarten led off with a double but was left hanging.

The only other baserunner was Roberto Newman who reached on an error by right fielder Larry Russell with two outs in the third inning. Cabrera then struck out Vic Hargrove to strikeout the side in the inning.

''He had no hitter stuff'' said his catcher Tony Martinez. ''No one squared up anything. The best game I have ever caught.''

''It was the best game I ever pitched'' said Cabrera.

Cabrera also had a good game with the bat going one for four, reached on an error and singled, and scored two runs.

Houston provided him with ample run support. The Starlings scored two runs in the third inning after Giants pitcher Archie Schulz's error allowed Cabrara to reach. Schulz then uncorked a wild pitch moving the runners to second and third where they scored easily from on Greg Bullinger's double. Houston added one run in the fourth when Russell came in to score during a double play.

Rickey Reynolds two run homerun (7th) scored Cabrara who single to make the final score 5-0.

Return to “Charlie Grimm League”