Milwaukee brings down the regular season curtain with 6-3 win

Discussions for the Charlie Grimm League.
jimbowie

Milwaukee brings down the regular season curtain with 6-3 win

Post by jimbowie »

Milwaukee took on Montreal in the final season series with the winner securing the pennant and home field in the NLCS. After the two teams spit the first two games, they took vastly different approaches to the third game. Milwaukee started their hottest starting pitcher, left hander Hal Singleton, the winner of four straight.

Montreal countered with waiver wire Bill Hambright 0-5 with a 10.45 ERA instead of nine game winner Marsellus Wallace.

There was a long list of regulars who did not start including catcher Earl Smith, first baseman Wally Joyner, second baseman Pete Henry, shortstop Run Simmons and left fielder Gary Tyson.

Both pitchers escaped jams in the first inning by getting a double play.

One of the fill-ins put Montreal on the scoreboard in the second inning. Slick Mitchell hit his first homer of the season with two outs and no one on base.

Milwaukee responded in their half of the third inning. Joe Morton hit his first homerun of the season with a man on base giving the Brewers a 2-1 lead.

After that the homeruns started coming rapidly. Billy Mizeur hit his tenth for Milwaukee with one out and one on extending the lead to 4-1.

Montreal scored three times in the fifth inning to cut the lead to one. Dave Washburn pinch hit for Hambright in the fifth inning and singled. Ryan Theriot followed with another single. Both runners scored on Joe Zdeb's double.

Milwaukee got those two runs back in the eighth inning when they tallied two runs. Mizeur doubled and catcher Bill Witt hit his tenth of the season off Perry to restore Milwaukee's three run lead.

The Brewers summoned Dan Belardi for the thirty fifth time to close out the win. Bellardi converted his twenty third save in twenty four chances and finished with a 2.34 ERA in 34.2 innings

Singleton got the win improving to 7-2.

Milwaukee will host Montreal at home for the first two games of the NLCS there and then come right back to Oh Canada for the middle three games.
Last edited by jimbowie on Fri May 13, 2022 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
SquidJordan

Re: Milwaukee brings down the regular season curtain with 6-3 win

Post by SquidJordan »

Congratulations, Milwaukee. You deserved it anyway, but the reason I sat all my guys is I'm wary of injury. It has happened to me too many times. One time I had my ace starting the last game, just like today, except that time I had the league all wrapped up and the pitcher was the leader in Cy Young voting. I started him anyway because I didn't want him to get passed for the honor. Well, he got rocked. Lost the game, lost the Cy Young and to top it all off injured himself for 40 games. So no thanks.
I know this is nonsensical in its way. If the sim wants a guy injured it will pull him from the dugout and put him on first base or something, where he will be promptly struck by lightning. But I guess all you can do is all you can do.
Good luck tomorrow and thank you again, everyone.

Return to “Charlie Grimm League”