Voters Rob Youngman

Discussions for the Joe Jackson League.
TheBigKahuna0

Voters Rob Youngman

Post by TheBigKahuna0 »

Charlie Marrero edged Henry Youngman in Cy Young voting this season. While Marrero had a strong season, Youngman appears to have been more effective (saying he was robbed is probably too strong). Marrero bested Youngman in wins (22 to 20) and strikeouts. Marrero had 3 starts and 32 innings more than Youngman which certainly helped his cause, but Youngman was arguably the better pitcher this year. His WHIP ranked #2 in the league at 1.04 while Marrero's 1.22 ranked 17th. Youngman's 2.54 ERA ranked 2nd in the league (best in the AL) while Marrero was 8th with a 2.83 mark. Youngman also bolstered his case with a no-hitter back in July.

Obviously the wins matter and the extra innings Marrero pitched helped him pile up more strikeouts (although his K/9 rate was better than Youngman by about 0.5). If we had some advanced statistics, we might be able to tell who was truly better. Based on the stats we have, Marrero was either lucky with runners on base or incredibly clutch. Youngman did a better job keeping batters from reaching in the first place, but that could be thanks to a better defense (the Massacre's +/- was slightly better than the Stars).

Marrero had a great year in his last before decline sets in and Youngman will likely win plenty of awards in his career. The auto voters went with the veteran this time, but it's clear the 2nd year starter in LA is on his way to greatness.

Kind of reminds me of Miggy vs Trout MVP votes.
winkabob

Re: Voters Rob Youngman

Post by winkabob »

Henny Youngman was indeed robbed. I guess the voters felt sorry for that tired, old Journeyman that had his one moment in the Sun.

No matter. Youngman's still full of good humor:

"The food on the plane was fit for a king. "Here, King!""

'I once wanted to become an atheist, but I gave up - they have no holidays.'

'Just got back from a pleasure trip: I took my mother-in-law to the airport.'
ratman44

Post by ratman44 »

I think there should be more up roar on the NL fireman...they tied, gave it to the worse pitcher.
TheBigKahuna0

Post by TheBigKahuna0 »

Wow. Ingram had a horrible year except he finished a bunch of close games. That's crazy

Return to “Joe Jackson League”