Hall of Fame Nominees (2225-2229)

Discussions for the Jimmie Foxx League.

Moderators: CrazedCougars, The_Old_Bear

CrazedCougars

Hall of Fame Nominees (2225-2229)

Post by CrazedCougars »

Well, with this nominee list we are officially caught up to the present. I think that this is a pretty great accomplishment, and I'd like to thank those who participated throughout the process. Since this will be the last one for a while, I figured I'd put everything together. Lot of players with this one, feel free to take all the time necessary.

Pitchers

Doug Rapp

Rick Simmons

Junior Sconiers

Fred Pertica

Dick Bradley

Johnny Dalesandro

Hitters

Carl Cromer

Harvey Hiland

George Fain

Mark Little

Rick Ojala

James Woodard

Hunter Musial

Bob Arroyo

Jimmy Dickey
CrazedCougars

Re: Hall of Fame Nominees (2225-2229)

Post by CrazedCougars »

Simmons
Pertica
Bradley
Dalesandro

Cromer
Fain
Little
Ojala
Woodard
Musial
Arroyo
Dickey
The_Old_Bear

Post by The_Old_Bear »

Rapp
Simmons
Pertica
Bradley
Dalesandro

Cromer
Fain
Little
Ojala
Woodard
Musial
Arroyo
Dickey
Last edited by The_Old_Bear on Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hitnrun

Post by Hitnrun »

Rapp
Simmons
Pertica
Bradley
Dalesandro

Cromer
Fain
Little
Ojala
Woodard
Musial
ArroyDickey
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

Doug Rapp
Not sure why he isn't getting a little more love. 300+ Wins. A .725 Win %, pretty incredible ERA/WHIP (though, his FIP was more than half a run higher so he pitched for some pretty awesome Washington defensive teams), and a pair of Cy Young trophies on his mantel. EDIT: When I wrote this, only two people had voted, and neither voted for Rapp. Looks like at least one person changed their mind. Good!

Rick Simmons
One Cy Young Award every 100 wins.

Johnny Dalesandro
Won the FOY Award every time he was an All Star. All 12 of 'em.

George Fain
Didn't jump out at first... I think he's more a fourth or fifth year candidate, but I think he does deserve to be in the Hall. Unlike Bradley (see below), he was good pre-prime *and* post-prime, the length and breadth of his career.

Mark Little
Not great, but always good. Did all the "Little" things that help a ballclub win and win consistently. Scored out pretty high on HOF metrics.

Rick Ojala
Guy hit .350 the year he retired. Quit the game only because he was bored, I think. Club gave him 120 at-bats. All Time JFL SB leader.

James Woodard
Nice that he gets to go into the Hall with his DP partner, Mark Little. Too bad Trammell and Whitaker couldn't have had this honor.

Hunter Musial
I'm not crazy about the sudden drop-off in quality once he went into teaching mode down at Boston, but his numbers in Brooklyn were crazy good and he grades out high enough for me.

Jimmy Dickey
Probably a homer vote, but he does grade out high enough in HOF metrics. Consistently a good glove, good speed, high average player. Got his Ring, was MVP, and had five 20/20 seasons.

Dick Bradley is the only guy I'm on the fence about. Yeah, he toted up a big Save total, but all his flashy success came before he was 31 years old. The rest was just because Pittsburgh kept running him out there in the 9th inning. Is that a Hall of Fame CAREER? Not for this voter, who only gets one ballot to decide. He's just not a first-ballot candidate to me. Is he an ONLY-ballot candidate? Perhaps, but not when I compare to the rest of this class. Sometimes I wish we had that multi-year ballot thing where if a candidate got, say one vote shy of being elected, we could bring him back on the next ballot for a second look. If he still doesn't get in, that' s it. He doesn't get it. For now, if Bradley ends up one vote shy, give him a vote from me.
Last edited by ballmark on Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
heinerkin

Post by heinerkin »

Rapp
Simmons
Dalesandro
Fain
Ojala
Musial
Dickey

Return to “Jimmie Foxx League”