Minnesota Twins

Discussions for the Jimmie Foxx League.

Moderators: CrazedCougars, The_Old_Bear

The_Old_Bear

Minnesota Twins

Post by The_Old_Bear »

I don't know that they have turned the corner yet but the Twins are actually in third place in the AL after wasting the 1st pick in the draft for 30 years it is nice to see they are finally starting to come around.

If you know of someone who might be interested in JFL this franchise is poised to start moving up the standings but they need a real owners attention ... and yes I do know we have another situation that needs a new owner also.

We are going to have to recruit some active owners again if we are going to keep this thing going.

Thanks

Bear
ballmark

Re: Minnesota Twins

Post by ballmark »

It's a unique idea of a league, but I believe there needs to be at least one, possibly two fundamental changes in the back office administration to keep it going, otherwise it will be difficult to sustain long term interest.

1. Discount the minor league team's price. A person shouldn't have to pay full price for a SimD team that will NEVER compete for a playoff spot. I mean, theoretically, yes, somewhere down the road if you are a draft and development master beast the thin .00001 percent of a possibility exists, but realistically, the minor league teams will ALWAYS be bottom feeders and why cough up full price for that?

2. Along those same lines, Admin needs to find a way to eradicate the minor league team records from your Owner Cards. That's negative prestige that will pull you down in Site Rankings and - for those who look at such things - in the eyes of your peers. Nobody needs that.
The_Old_Bear

Post by The_Old_Bear »

Interesting as you can imagine those things were discussed years ago. SD would have to agree to the change in dollar amounts and they were not interested in making minor league however long ago we discussed it.

As for owner card understandably it was considered unfair to have only your best team reflected in your site wide owner card as we would all have been awesome owners by such a standard. The major league team wins way higher numbers than any other league.

Just look at Crazy's numbers. You could not do that in any other kind of league unless you had colusion of some kind amongst 2 or more of the owners. Even just having two guys who have been friends in another league and work trades just a little better than everyone else makes the leagues difficult to control. We had those problems in early days as have most of the leagues. But this is wholesale cheating in any other league. When this league first started it was so hard we were putting tons of time into it. Now I hardly pay attention at all. Heck I am frustrated just having to spend time on the Twins/Padres mess.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy the game but with 7 owners it is not what it used to be. Currently I am running out all the credits I have accumulated with SD at the end we will see.

You guys are great but it is just not what it was. We need real owners you are welcome to talk with the powers that be and see if they would be interested in changing things. Or if you want me to I will but I personally would vote to have a 8 team league with no minors but SD had no way to do that and it just got too hard to get people to play in a blind league.

You are a great owner .... all the guys over the years for the most part have been great owners. It is just habit for me at this point and sometimes it is time to change habits.
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

Yes, I can see the Prestige objection if this is the only league you are in ... and I suppose the minor league losses do balance out the overabundance of major league team wins if you look at it in that light.

But surely Admin could do some sort of price fix. I mean, they have to step in simply in order to put one person in charge of two franchises so as long as their hand is on the league's stove, so to speak, it would be relatively easy to adjust the PayPal pricing while they're here.

But how many active owners are there here, now? Don't count me, I'm a chaperone. Six? Five?

And how many of you are in other leagues?

Considering how long it has been since the JFL has been a ... well, passionate (for lack of a better word) concern ... is it time to consider letting it sink slowly into the sunset...?

That's sad and terrible to contemplate, I know ... and I'm sure it can continue for many more seasons as it is ... but I keep hearing the occasional rumble of words like ... boredom ... staleness ... need something fresh .... etc. And it makes me wonder.

That's all.
CrazedCougars

Post by CrazedCougars »

A lot of interesting points being brought up here. I like this league a lot, and I want it to survive, but frankly, the league has never recovered since Jim died. He was the life of the league as I saw it. I try my best, but I just don't have the energy to keep this league afloat. At this point, I'm mostly at peace with this league following its current course.
The_Old_Bear

Post by The_Old_Bear »

Jim brought his passion for the league out everyday.

Cougars you are doing great and I am trying to bring the Twins back to an actually above .500 franchise but it is difficult as my passion for this is not that great guess I would be something less than whatever Ballmark is at this point. I just got tired of see the astronomical numbers the other 3 AL teams put up every year. Hoping that someone might actually come along and take them over but as said above I doubt it.

We will see how it goes ... as I have said before it has been a great journey in this league but it is not what it started out to be when Disciple started some what 12 or more years ago.

Wish you guys could have been here back then it was a great idea and a great league with a lot of excitement people just got tired of how hard it was to predict what was going to happen in a blind league. We have had most of the great owners in SD in this league at one time or another and most of them have left because of the blind aspect (not all but almost all). The two team thing would be a big hurdle for me if I was looking at this league and one I would not come into had I not been here when it happened. Several of the guys banded together to convince me to stay back then of course they are all gone. Like I said it is a habit I just can't seem to break.
The_Old_Bear

Post by The_Old_Bear »

Times they are a changing.

Maybe I should switch teams to Twins/Padres they are a couple of years from actually being very competitive again.

Return to “Jimmie Foxx League”