A Sad Fairwell

Discussions for the Jimmie Foxx League.

Moderators: CrazedCougars, The_Old_Bear

The_Old_Bear

A Sad Fairwell

Post by The_Old_Bear »

I am leaving SD and JFL as of this season in JFL.

Have loved playing the game all these years but it has lost too much over the last few years.

Thanks for everyone in this league.

Hope you continue to enjoy JFL and SD.
CrazedCougars

Re: A Sad Fairwell

Post by CrazedCougars »

Sorry to hear this. We'll miss you, don't know what we're gonna do without having you around.
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

I agree with CrazedCougars but find I have to mildly disagree with you, Old_Bear.

While it is true that this league has lost much over the last few years, especially since Jim passed away, in terms of ownership participation, passion, etc - all while acknowledging that CC has done his very best and more to keep it a going and relevant concern - and while also confessing the site itself has undergone some diminishment due to outside forces hacking it and continuing to hack at viciously I think there are still signs that it is okay and even, in some areas, growing.

League mergers are continuing. If you watch the front page news and the forums, you'll see that there are still some innovations creeping in -- such as a new mobile interface for phones is coming soon, a new strategy allowing steals of home has been introduced, new coding adjusting double plays on sacrifice bunts has been added, Admin is now taking a hard look at adding stadium specificity to game results ... SimD is far from dead.

I suspect you feel this way because you've become insulated to this one league. I highly recommend that you consider joining another. Perhaps something that will challenge your competitive juices. The JFL is not the place to do that. Find a league with a fairly active community of owners. I highly recommend the Salary Leagues, if you want to be able to compete every year. Stick to signing one year deals and you can rebuild your team every single season. The Dynasty Leagues are all completing their current seasons and there are usually dozens of openings in those. They are only 3 GPD, but some are very competitive and fun. You can find those at www.simdynasty.com/dynastyavailable.

You seem like a solid, beautiful man and it makes my heart heavy to think about you walking away from something you are obviously so good at and love and have poured your heart into for so long.

So don't. Just walk away from here and into another league. The JFL will survive. Or it won't, and maybe that's okay, too.
The_Old_Bear

Post by The_Old_Bear »

Thank you so much for your thoughts but time has come. My son wants me to be involved with him in other gaming matters and I have not really competed like I should here for sometime. My attention has drawn me elsewhere. The issues with the site aside just become soured. Helped get the football thing off the ground but found that the leagues with the pluses or minuses just were not for me.

Know that I wish you all the best going forward. Minnesota should be competitive soon it has finally turned the corner just needs some hitting now.
The_Old_Bear

Post by The_Old_Bear »

If you look back a few years I actually was going to stop years ago and Jim pulled me back in. This time simply must be the end.

Thanks again for all the great years.
Hitnrun

Post by Hitnrun »

Good luck and good health to you! It was great to be in the the JFL with you. You will be missed!
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

Well, then a grand and stately farewell indeed, Old_Bear. I only knew you from this league, but you seemed like a person of integrity, style, humor, and honest decency. This league and this site will be poorer without you here.

I wish you all the best and just a **world** of fun in gaming with your son!

-- Mark
The_Old_Bear

Post by The_Old_Bear »

Seems like I should have at least a few more months I have $61.50 in credits left on SD if they can figure out how to apply them to my teams.

That is 4 more season if they can figure it out.

Maybe that will motivate me to continue.

Return to “Jimmie Foxx League”