A couple of additional Mel Ott League Outliers

Discussions for the Mel Ott League.
Steelsmith

A couple of additional Mel Ott League Outliers

Post by Steelsmith »

I am not searching for these things or doing any heavy research and this is in no way a comprehensive study...Just a couple of things that I noticed.

Chuck Davis of Cincy despite his D health is having a great start to his career he is still only 28. His .560 Slg % would be #2 all time if he does not improve this when he gets to the 5000 At bat Level....Quite a start.
http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=13118534 <Chuck Davis Card

Anthony Santander in the 2041 Season Drove in 143 Runs the 22nd best RBI total in Mel Ott League History. The Record is 165....
I ask Bluecrabz here and now....How many Grand slams and base clearing triples did this guy hit?
He had 22 Doubles, 8 triples, 22 Homers,. He had 172 hits and 81 walks and 5 sac flies...he batted an even .300

I took a fast look at a bunch of guys who had 133 RBI's or greater and it is pretty obvious that virtually all of them had better OPS and a somewhat more obvious "thump" to those seasons..
This is not in any way meant to slander the Great Anthony Santander... Bluecrabz do you remember this?
http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=12800882 <Anthony Santander Card
Bluecrabz

Re: A couple of additional Mel Ott League Outliers

Post by Bluecrabz »

If i remember correctly i would bat Anthony Santander in the 3 4 and 5 positions. Most of the time if I remember correctly in the 3rd position not in the traditional cleanup spot. The number of RBI surprised me..... Thanks
JoelWeaver

Post by JoelWeaver »

I've been waiting for Davis to have a down season and it just hasn't happened. I think the short porch in RF at New Crosley Field has helped a little haha. Hopefully he can see a playoff series one of these seasons...

Looking like it will be good races in the NL and AL, especially the NL. Miami is crashing the NY & StL party! Good luck to all.
judgetrainer

Post by judgetrainer »

These odd things happen a fair amount in SD. In another league I saw a catcher with D contact ratings hit almost .300 for a season. I understood his power, he had A ratings both ways, but getting hits that often? How?
Steelsmith

Post by Steelsmith »

That is fun when that unexpected happens.
QB1TRAVIS

Post by QB1TRAVIS »

Not sure anyone noticed but there were some significant milestones reached during the 2045 MOL season and things to look ahead at in 2046:

Ray Uribe reached 500 HR's and still counting! He also become just the 4th player in MOL history with 15 all-star nods (C John Delaney , SS Joe Belitz and 2B Jock Priest being the others). Uribe reached 3,000 hit's in 2044.

Kevin Lillard reached 3,000 hit's and still counting!

Closer Chris Falk had 65 Saves which became a single season MOL record!

Chicago Shamrock's OF Harry Lime completed his 18th season as a full time starter at the age of 40 (.782 OPS)! He will begin his 19th season tomorrow at the age of 41!

Keep an eye on both Uribe and Lillard throughout the season as they climb the all-time record books!

If I missed anything please add to this post.

PS: Congrats to St. Louis on a dominate WS victory!
Steelsmith

Post by Steelsmith »

Thanks for posting that Travis,

I had noticed Uribe's 3000 Hits & 500 Homers, and I also noticed Harry Lime's longevity the other day, but I had not noticed Lillard and Chris Falks accomplishments.

What I have additionally noticed is that we have a good handful of the best "percentage" hitters/sluggers in the History of Mel Ott all playing at once:

Loiselle, Harrison, Lynch, Hanning, Norton, Benton, Smartwood, Nolan, Correll, Lillard (Chuck Davis does not have enough Plate appearances yet to appear on these lists, but he seems certain to accomplish that soon):

Uribe because of his great longevity has fallen off the upper tiers of the "percentage lists" but is near the top of the total career "add'em up lists"

Batting Average we have 6 of the top 22 players active although some of these averages might go down some before retirement[/color]
The Cityboys and the Artic Monkeys had 3 each and neither went all the way... :(
Min 5000 Lifetime Plate Appearances
* indicates player is active
Rank Player Team AVG
1 Tommy Kelly Milwaukee Mafia .333
2 Jeff Delock Brooklyn River Cats .324
3 Chet Whiten Chicago Shamrocks .315
4 Bob Niehaus Baltimore Arctic Monkeys .314
5 Craig Glavine Baltimore Arctic Monkeys .313
6 Bob Oldman Chicago Shamrocks .313
7* Sadie Hanning New York Cityboys .313
8* Bubba Norton New York Cityboys .309

9 Hank Boardman Tampa Bay MillerTime .309
10* Kevin Lynch New York Cityboys .309
11 Dennis Arft Toronto Toros .306
12 Angelo Manwaring Tampa Bay MillerTime .306
13 Wayne Briggs New York Zephyrs .304
14 Hobie Jones Toronto Toros .304
15* Steve Harrison Baltimore Arctic Monkeys .304
16* Cecil Benton Baltimore Arctic Monkeys .304

17 Wedo Kelly Toronto Toros .303
18 Luis Brinkopf Cleveland Seawolves .303
19 Joe Elston Baltimore Arctic Monkeys .303
20 Joe Jorgensen Chicago Shamrocks .303
21 Francis Phillips Baltimore Arctic Monkeys .302
22* Al Loiselle Baltimore Arctic Monkeys .302
tpcurley

Post by tpcurley »

Ray Uribe is the beast of all beasts. I'm the one guy who passed on drafting him too. I don't know what to say about Harry Lime. I guess he needs the money. I gave him last season as a tribute to his career and a farewell tour for being an MVP and a 7 WS ring Shamrock, and played him for his bulletproof mentoring as I'm tryng to develop a lot of guys at once, but I was certain he would retire no matter what at the end of the year, because I've never seen a 41 year old player in this league. Can anyone think of any others?
QB1TRAVIS

Post by QB1TRAVIS »

Tim,

Here are three players that played at age 41:

Bill Granger
http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id ... imps=stats

Jimmy Jordan (turned 42 YO with two games remaining in the 2022 season)
http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id ... imps=stats

Kazuhiro Moore
http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id=4916920

Add to this list as you please.

Return to “Mel Ott League”