A Proposal to keep AGL going...

Discussions for the Andres Galarraga League.

Moderator: timemry

timemry

A Proposal to keep AGL going...

Post by timemry »

Well, we are down to 9 active owners and 7 teams for sale. I haven't seen so much of a sniff for any of the teams for sale.
So, how about the remaining owners conduct an expansion draft of the good players from 7 inactive teams in efforts to build super teams.
It could be a pretty interesting expirement to see 9 absolutely loaded teams pad their stats in the regular season and see which of the 4 of us can make it to the postseason. I would propose that we draft inverse of the standings last year.
Each team would submit a ranking list of say up to 90 players. Then, I would manually use everyone's list and we'd have a 10 round draft. Each owner would get 10 new players (current stars, young prospects) to add to their existing rosters. The mechanics of how I could get the players to you would be by proposing trade offers from the dormant teams to you for the players you drafted.
It would work, I tried logging into a dormant team and proposing a trade offer to my team. The offer came through, and I rejected it of course.
Thoughts?

Tim
matthewlee3

Re: A Proposal to keep AGL going...

Post by matthewlee3 »

I'll post here what I told Tim in PM:

-Seems like 9 is an awkward number to maneuver around, with 4 active teams in the AL and 5 active teams in the NL. An even number would be better, although the balance here is not bad
-If we can manually make this happen, might make more sense to shift the active teams into one league and just have a single 8 team league (obviously not feasible with 9 active owners)
-Any shenanigans we try along the lines of Tim's proposal would likely preclude any merger
-I worry that changes of this sort may turn off some of the 9 and leave us with even fewer

All that said, I'm fairly receptive to the idea and would be open to it. As it is, this league has some of the most inflated talent due to our minor league system, so this would essentially be that on roids. One thing to consider that I haven't looked into is whether there are 90 viable players left from the 7 teams, given that none of those teams would have been developing players properly, although given our minor league system that's probably not an issue.
timemry

Post by timemry »

There is some very attractive talent on those rosters. I try to manage them so that the elite prospects do not die on the vine. 124 red letter players by my count, not to mention the young kids that are developping well. Including this seasons #1 overall pick, who is one of the best draftees I have ever seen in SimD.

I agree, if we do this, it precludes a merger or getting new owners on board. Realistically, I don't see either of those things happening anyway.
If we go this route, it is to have some fun, create some silly stats in a final swan song for the AGL. We could redistribute all the good prospects taken by these unowned teams each season.
timemry

Post by timemry »

Well, it looks like Houston is leaving the league for independant reasons.
That gives us 8, 4 active and 4 dormant in each league.
I think it gives us greater incentive to go ahead with the "expansion draft" plan that adds 10-15 players to each active owner's roster. A few of you have weighed in via PM. I havent heard any NO's, but I also have not heard from everyone.
Can we try and get a thumbs up/thumbs down on this?
I could make a document that lists all of the red letter players and decent prospects on the abandoned teams.
Then, we could each rank them.
Remember that we are capped at 50, so, you would need to declare players to waive in order to keep rosters at 50.
My goal would be to accomplish this by the trade deadline.

Thoughts?
matthewlee3

Post by matthewlee3 »

Are you envisioning the entire process finishing by the trade deadline, or just the draft? I would think that we would want to start something like this at the start of a season, not 9/1 in a season.
timemry

Post by timemry »

id like to do it as quickly as possible, but not sure if we can get it done by the end of the season.
matthewlee3

Post by matthewlee3 »

I feel like this should be an offseason thing, to start next season. Also should probably be a unanimous vote (which it sounds like we can get, from your interactions via PM).
timemry

Post by timemry »

Sounds fair.
Several owners still have not responded.
I will reach back out via PM

Return to “Andres Galarraga League”