Edger

Discussions for the George Van Haltren League.
Killroy24

Edger

Post by Killroy24 »

I’m a day or two late but congrats to one of the best DH’s in the game. I watched him his whole career,including being there live in the Game 5 of the95 play offs, when he hit the double. There are not many players who stick to one team but he did. Which as a Mariners fan I appreciated.
rich45

Re: Edger

Post by rich45 »

Yes, very well deserved. And as for the DH thing, Edgar was a perfectly adequate third baseman. If he was in the NL, he would have gone to the Hall at that position. A REALLY good player.
Rich (Yankees fan) and so happy about the Sandman.
TonyGwynnusaGAME

Re: Edgar

Post by TonyGwynnusaGAME »

Dennis, I too was at Game 5 against the Yankees sitting in Right-Center. It was ELECTRIC in the Kingdome! A few highlights:
David Cone entered the game in relief I believe in the 8th (not Mariano Rivera as he was a rookie I think) with the Yankees up 4-2. Cone delivered a bases-loaded walk to utility infielder Doug Strange to tie the game 4-4. Rivera pitched some scoreless relief before giving way to Jack McDowell. I remember Randy giving up an RBI single to M's Killer Leyritz or Velarde and just thinking ugh! BUT.....Joey Cora led the bottom of the 11th with a bunt base hit followed by a Griffey single moving him to 3rd...it all happened so fast and then EDGAR laces the double to win the game.......one of the greatest games I probably ever witnessed. The other being game 163 versus the Angels with the Mariner's beating former ACE Mark Langston.
Killroy24

Re: Edger

Post by Killroy24 »

How funny I was sitting in RF in the Kingdom. Game 4 Edgar has 7 RBIs including brake out the rye bread and mustard grand Salami time as the late great Dave Niehouse called the shot. I was there for all 3 home games. The whole series was something I will never forget. Then the Mariners turned around and traded Tino to Riches Yankees where he was very instrumental in the WS run they went on.

Return to “George Van Haltren League”