2041 Hall of Fame Class

Discussions for the Duke Snider League.
Mateogrande

2041 Hall of Fame Class

Post by Mateogrande »

Congrats to Veterans Committe nominee Bug Kern on his induction into the Duke Snider League Hall of Fame.

SP Bug Kern 19 Seasons (1950-1968), 281-126 Record (15th Alltime), 2616 K, 1447 BB, 1.35 WHIP, 3.87 ERA, 4 WS Rings in 6 appearances, 29 Shutouts, *I cannot see playoff stats but it looks like he probably won a few WS
http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id=122565

Bill Jones will not appear on the ballot again.

I'm on the fence about both Fishbone and Merritt. Primarily because of mediocre playoff batting and never winning a World Series. I think they need to garner at least 8 votes, half the league to push me over. I'll probably run them again after this season.

Thanks all for the votes.
LTJaeger

Re: 2041 Hall of Fame Class

Post by LTJaeger »

What exactly is our criteria for being elected?

I ask because I see that Walker and Kern received the exact same number of votes, yet one is in and the other is not. That doesn't make sense to me.

I don't think HOF selection should be that arbitrary. Don't get me wrong, I TOTALLY appreciate Big Matty running this for us; I just think we need to make his job easier by spelling out how many ballots need to be cast for an election to be complete, and what % (or other criteria) are required for making it in. Once those parameters are spelled out, the rest falls into place more easily.

Mateo, can you share any additional info on this matter?

Thanks!!!
Mateogrande

Post by Mateogrande »

Right now it's arbitrary. Not sure how it's been run in the past, I just enjoy it and the hof admin when I joined the league was no longer actually in the league.

I was just getting the votes to see what other members thought.

This may open an ugly can of worms but my own personal voting is that there are some nearly automatic entry benchmarks such as 300 wins and 3000 hits. I give added weight to premium defensive positions such as catcher and short. And I personally place a premium on playoff performance. I also differentiate between first ballot shoo-ins and guys with lesser credentials.

As for Kern and Walker. Kern had 4 rings and Walker had zero. That was enough of a difference in my mind. Walker is still up for consideration although I think he and Ranew are neck and neck. Zero championships, Walker has 3 mvps to 1 mvp but Ranew has slightly better career numbers. Neither one hit an automatic benchmark in my mind. Neither was particularly good in the playoffs.

I'm certainly open to input but I think it would help if we had at least 12 of the 16 league members vote. Best I could tell we had about 5-6 vote this time around.

Daniel D Wall is active and a shoo-in as soon as he retires.

Anyone jump in and comment if so inclined.

Matt
LTJaeger

Post by LTJaeger »

Thanks for the feedback, Matt.

Here's my two cents:

It shouldn't be arbitrary; it needs to be based on % of votes. I would say we need a minimum of 50% of league members voting, but that could hold up elections due to non-participatory owners. Also, I think pennants and championships are pretty meaningless in HOF consideration. Ted Williams had zero championships for example; Willie Mays had 1. Frankie Crosetti (as a player & coach) has more than anyone in MLB history.
jbk

Post by jbk »

I'd like to nominate Billy Hillis, a catcher, mostly with Philadelphia, who retired in 2025 with 452 career homers and generally outstanding offensive criteria.
Mateogrande

Post by Mateogrande »

Hillis is in. I think I put him in a couple seasons ago when I first took over the HOF.

Return to “Duke Snider League”