SF Lamentations

Discussions for the Earl Averill League.
judgetrainer

SF Lamentations

Post by judgetrainer »

Hello, 100 losses my old friend...

The weak Conquistadors had less success than I had hoped for at the start of the season. In retrospect those hopes were foolish. Not enough hitting (any hitting?) and the pitching is not ready. Still, the roster has gotten younger, and hope springs eternal.
PizzaMan8

Re: SF Lamentations

Post by PizzaMan8 »

Seems like I'm done for the season too. I lost a couple games early in the season chasing a top 10 all time saves spot for Joe Phillips, and my pitching underperformed when it mattered. I'll probably look to patch up my rotation this offseason.

If it's any consolation, there's a couple interesting options at the top of the draft class which should help your hitting woes
judgetrainer

Post by judgetrainer »

Oh, with lamentations there is almost always joy to be found. I like the top five on my board. There are some possibilities after that. I was well aware this would be a long term process. Ok, maybe not THIS long term.
jrthecrusher

Post by jrthecrusher »

judgetrainer wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:42 pm I was well aware this would be a long term process. Ok, maybe not THIS long term.
In my experience 10 seasons is about the average of how long it takes to build a winner from the ground up. You were definitely starting from scratch when you got here so I would say you're still on schedule. If the opinion of an outside observer counts for anything - though the win-loss record might not have improved much, the team looks night-and-day better than it did when you took it over. Keep at it!
judgetrainer

Post by judgetrainer »

I had high hopes for my squad this season but some early stumbles did not help. Still, 85 wins is a huge improvement from the early days of my ownership of SF. Paul Verban did finish first in the NL in HR and RBI but not a sniff for the MVP. And he even finished sixth in batting average.

Looking forward to the offseason (come on pitching improvements...)

Return to “Earl Averill League”