offers

Discussions for the Harold Baines League.
gannable

offers

Post by gannable »

hgjgh
Last edited by gannable on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
todd999430

Re: offers

Post by todd999430 »

It's actually a decently active league. I think the lack of response you may be getting when it comes to trade offers is reactionary to the actual offers you're sending out.

Recently, you offered some 2nd tier (and maybe a 3rd tier) prospects for my 25 year old A- SP. I realize that this SP isn't great with the low control, but I'm not sure how my team gets better with this trade. If I didn't have any prospects of my own and weren't a rebuilding team, perhaps the deal would be a "maybe" before declined... I think it helps to send a trade offer that makes sense for both teams, not just yours.

And yes, I understand you're trying to get the ball rolling on trade conversations but the offer I received has the opposite effect. Truth be told, if you added a playoff first to the deal, I still wouldn't consider it... and if you're sending out deals where a playoff first would still get an automatic "no", the issue isn't with the league but instead with the expectations you have of what a fair trade should look like.

You also offered to move up from 4 to 1 in this recent draft, offering a 2nd tier prospect to do so. I declined, stating that I thought you could get who you wanted at the 4 without making a trade (and I suspect you did), but a better offer would be the 4th overall and a future playoff first to move up to the 1st spot... if you truly wanted me to consider it.

Just my $.02 and I very well could be wrong.
gannable

Post by gannable »

fgdrg
Last edited by gannable on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
todd999430

Post by todd999430 »

Merely offering insight into why you might be getting a limited response throughout the league... or at least from me.

None of the prospects you offered me were first tier prospects. Even on your own roster, they’re the prospects you’re putting 4, 5, or maybe 7 CPs on.

The beauty of this conversation is that you have an opinion and I have mine. We don’t have to agree. I’m ok with that. Only trying to help shed a bit of light on why you may be getting the cold shoulder in trade offers later. I’ve been there.

But anyway, carry on.
gannable

Post by gannable »

uiouio
Last edited by gannable on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gannable

Post by gannable »

gfhfgh
Last edited by gannable on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
todd999430

Post by todd999430 »

OK. I'm going to try and explain things here. If this is not a conversation you want to have or if you are offending by another person's opinion on how to play Sim Dynasty, just let me know and I'll walk away from the conversation. I'm fine either way.

First, we obviously have a different perspective on how to play Sim Dynasty. You've played 373 seasons with 64 "100 loss" seasons while I've played 504 seasons with 51 "100 loss" seasons. Right here, it's clear that we have different strategies on how we enjoy the game. Specifically, you seem to build, compete, tank, rebuild, compete cycle while I'm more of a build, compete, rebuild a bit, struggle, build more, compete cycle. Neither way is better - I've tried it your way before - but this perspective is helpful when evaluating trades and knowing who you're trading with.

Second, you offered the following three prospects:

A second round reliever
A late second round hitter
A late first round player

Going one by one...

The second round RP is D/C/C- at OS19. With 12-15 CPs, he could project to C-/B+/B by age 22. That's borderline WW if he doesn't hit a lucky year of improves and assuming he doesn't get screwed by the IC gods. This is also assuming I want to put a RP as one of my best CP candidates (which I don't... and you probably don't either).

The second round hitter is B- at OS21. He has weak power, horrible defense, and projects to a WW player, at best. This is assuming you put 10+ CPs on him too... He's worthless and barely worth mentioning. If you looked at my minors before offering the trade, you'd see that I already have a few players like this, languishing away on the vine.

The "legit 1st round pick" who you've grown to be "all star" in other leagues is an OS19, "D" contact vs righties, and "C+" power vs righties. His stats vs lefties are ok and project out to B+/A rather nicely. However, versus righties, you're looking at a B/A- at best and that's with 4 years minimum of 12-15 CPs. Why would anyone make that kind of investment on a B/A- prospect?

You asked for the following "B control" pitcher from my staff.

If you take a closer look at this pitcher, you'll see his velocity is maxed out and yet he's still converting improves in control, a solid 4 this last OS. He's not going to light the world on fire, but at OS26, he's a solid SP3 in this league for the next 7-10 years. You can also see that he received 13-15 CPs a year for 4 straight years in the minors. Obviously, I put a lot into improving him and got lucky that he didn't end up a bust of some sort.

So regarding the trade as being outrageous, I think it is.

Again, I use the "late first rounder" rule when I receive a trade. If it is a trade that I still wouldn't accept if the other side offered a late first rounder, I just politely click decline and don't counter.

That's where we are. You offered a second tier prospect in the RP and two third tier prospects in those hitters for a legit A- overall 26 year old SP with red letter endurance. I wouldn't accept the deal even if you added a first rounder to the deal.

Again, just to come full circle, we have different philosophies when it comes to Sim Dynasty and how we enjoy the game. That's ok. I wish you well and many championships. I'm just here to chaperone this team.
gannable

Post by gannable »

edited my posts because im not interested in the conversation.
gannable

Post by gannable »

but here's my point.

I have a few prospects that I like, that I think have value, that I would be interested in acquiring if I had the available cps. Therefore I would like to make use of them via a trade because I think they could be useful to another owner.

If you think I am wrong about their value it's irrelevant. I don't appreciate a thesis on why my prospects suck and why my philosophy sucks and why I suck.

Ive gotten offers that I thought were crap but I've never reported it to the rest of the league.

I've made an effort to keep the league afloat so I don't appreciate someone giving me crap about simply trying to generate trade talk. At least I'm making an effort.

Note - i started taking this strong pro-biotic product that helps clean out toxins. there is a cleaning effect and irritability is one symptom of cleaning taking place. I've been aggravated the entire day. so, there's a chance i was looking for someone to give an excuse get angry. i was outside earlier kind of hoping someone would bump into me so i could take a swing.
todd999430

Post by todd999430 »

gannable wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:01 am but here's my point.

I have a few prospects that I like, that I think have value, that I would be interested in acquiring if I had the available cps. Therefore I would like to make use of them via a trade because I think they could be useful to another owner.

If you think I am wrong about their value it's irrelevant. I don't appreciate a thesis on why my prospects suck and why my philosophy sucks and why I suck.

Ive gotten offers that I thought were crap but I've never reported it to the rest of the league.

I've made an effort to keep the league afloat so I don't appreciate someone giving me crap about simply trying to generate trade talk. At least I'm making an effort.

Note - i started taking this strong pro-biotic product that helps clean out toxins. there is a cleaning effect and irritability is one symptom of cleaning taking place. I've been aggravated the entire day. so, there's a chance i was looking for someone to give an excuse get angry. i was outside earlier kind of hoping someone would bump into me so i could take a swing.
Kindly, may I suggest you walk away from your keyboard until the toxin clean out is over.

Return to “Harold Baines League”