Problem

Discussions for the Harold Baines League.
gannable

Re: Problem

Post by gannable »

if you need an owner I'll sign up.

otherwise, id have to think about it.

is there a way we could make the new league more attractive in case people leave?

aren't salary leagues in demand?

there should be some feature in the rules that would be a draw in case anyone leaves
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

Salary leagues are going begging for owners, too, I'm afraid. They were once a hot commodity but have fallen on hard times.

I've tried just about every wrinkle on the site -- ladder leagues (Orlando Cepeda), blind leagues, blind leagues with draft lotteries and manual drafts, blind leagues where you own *two* teams (one is a "minor" league team that feeds the other), loss penalty leagues w/lineup restrictions, variable development, retirement system 2, max development/max injury, term leagues, subscription leagues, dynasty leagues, you name it.

There is only one thing I haven't tried, and from what I read, people either love it or hate it.

The Wheel Draft.

As far as I know, there is only one league using it. Might be the ace up our sleeve if enough people want to give it a whirl.
fredbirds

Post by fredbirds »

I helped put the wheel draft league together, my team was on the downslide, needing to rebuild. 18 seasons later I am still at the bottom of the league trying to rebuild. Have never been close to improving the team. I was also the last team to get the 1st overall pick, even traded for the 2nd pick as well and lo and behold a terrrible draft occurred. The good teams stay good and the bad teams stay bad. Sometimes teams have slid after a long run on top, all the bad teams are still at the bottom.

Jeff
arefj

Post by arefj »

I'm fine with merging with another league.
gannable

Post by gannable »

Some plan needs to be finalized between now and the end of next season.

Currently, there's 5 inactive teams.
Fredbirds is leaving in 3 weeks.
That's 6 teams
You can't have a legitimate league that many teams.

The only reason I'd stick around is because I don't want my franchise to sink into oblivion.
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

The Lou Whitaker league so far seems open to a merger. All that remains are for "official" talks to begin and Admin to get roped into the loop.
lyle

Post by lyle »

Did you get CEO's two cents. Is he in the loop? Is he ok in general...
gannable

Post by gannable »

if we merge, CEO would likely have one of the best teams to begin.
He'd be set up to get a couple quick titles early in the league's history.
gannable

Post by gannable »

ballmark,

what about that edit feature?

what is it? you can pick an attribute to flip each season for one player?

do owners like that? could that be an added feature to entice people?
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

Ah, yes, the Edit Leagues. I forgot about those in my litany of SimExperimenting.

Played in that one, too. The Bill Veeck League.

I fear it would be just too different from what we know in the HBL for it to work here. Edit Leagues use numbered attributes instead of letters, because you need to know exactly where players are at in order to intelligently distribute your edits.

When I played, there were about 18 different types of edits, I want to say. Everything from instantly converting a hitter to a pitcher and vice-versa, to having a veteran player convert ICs at the OS18 player rate, to "swapping" attributes so a Contact hitter becomes a Power hitter or vice-versa, and a gob more.

One of the problems we constantly ran into was the edits were never applied in a timely manner so you'd play half a season with the old player before the "newly-edited" player card kicked in. At least when I was in that league. It may have changed now. There was also generally confusion about what some of the more esoteric edits did, as well as the order in which they were taken. (The rule was once a team had chosen an edit, no other team could pick that one, unless you were a new owner in your first season).

Every team was issued something like one "edit credit" per season with the playoff teams getting a portion of an extra one. LCS losers got a .25 credit, pennant winners got a .50 credit, and the World Series Winner got a whole additional credit. (Again, my memory may be foggy about this.) You could trade edit credits or take a pass and just sit on them to bank them. Rebuilding teams tended to bank while playoff teams spent theirs to tweak rosters and keep them competitive.

It was, honestly, less fun that what we have and full of wrinkles that had to be ironed out all season long, seemed like. They may have improved since I played.

Return to “Harold Baines League”