The purpose of the Draft

Discussions for the Ed ONeill League.

Moderators: swope81, ashuran9

FrosteeTBear

The purpose of the Draft

Post by FrosteeTBear »

When Major League Baseball has its Draft every year, the purpose is to give teams a
chance to draft the best possible candidates to put on their team. You--as the scout
--have several possible candidates to chose from and will--since there are 5 rounds--pick
the 5 best candidates you can...……..there is no rocket science to the procedure
other than what best suits your needs or wants.

OK--so in real life--many guys don't get drafted because there is lots of talent to
choose from...……….that being said--we should never have to tell guys that they
were selected but will not be joining the team.

So the point of my message is why do we only keep one or two guys because the
rest of them will never have a chance of even making the team. The Draft Class
should be filled with loads of talent that make us have to decide--as MLB managers do--
if we need to dump some of our Veterans or not.

Better drafts should be very common--not the other way around--especially guys that
nobody has any use for like http://simdynasty.com/player.jsp?mode=p ... d=13177581
Sim Dynasty--please take notice--make all players worthy as in real life so
our decisions must be harder to form as to the make-up of our team rosters...…..THANK YOU..... 8-)
WillyD

Re: The purpose of the Draft

Post by WillyD »

I agree, there should be more 17/18 and 21/22 year olds that have potential, and the foreign imports should at least be major league ready, or somewhat close to ready if on the younger side.
StriplingRz

Post by StriplingRz »

I agree with your premise. I fear the truth is that in doing that, it would throw the mechanics of the game way off. It is a pretty symbiotic relationship between settings, player ratings, luck, and competitive balance. If all prospects were good, most would improve along the same lines, then all players would be red. The balance would be off.

The missing piece in your premise in my opinion is in real life you have the minors. If we had that, we'd be able to let those drafted prospects play and see where things went versus this improvement chances stuff. But alas, I can dream.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

I actually think it's not that bad now, but many of the older prospects have fatal flaws that make them useless.

F or D- arm SS and 2B shouldn't be a thing at age 20+, same thing with F and D- range 1st baseman, or a C- arm catcher. First off, the player would improve a bit more than that during their teenage years, and secondly they would at least be moved to a position that's better suited for the defensive deficiency strength.
FrosteeTBear

Post by FrosteeTBear »

StriplingRz wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:52 pm I agree with your premise. I fear the truth is that in doing that, it would throw the mechanics of the game way off. It is a pretty symbiotic relationship between settings, player ratings, luck, and competitive balance. If all prospects were good, most would improve along the same lines, then all players would be red. The balance would be off.

The missing piece in your premise in my opinion is in real life you have the minors. If we had that, we'd be able to let those drafted prospects play and see where things went versus this improvement chances stuff. But alas, I can dream.
However if they all were red letter players--and that happens in most leagues among the top --say 6-8 teams--then
everyone would win-- based on their managerial skills--isn't that what we are playing for anyway...……..plus
it would sure make for exciting league races--and all pro teams should be of equal chance to win it all...……... :D
swope81

Post by swope81 »

FrosteeTBear wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 11:25 pm
StriplingRz wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:52 pm I agree with your premise. I fear the truth is that in doing that, it would throw the mechanics of the game way off. It is a pretty symbiotic relationship between settings, player ratings, luck, and competitive balance. If all prospects were good, most would improve along the same lines, then all players would be red. The balance would be off.

However if they all were red letter players--and that happens in most leagues among the top --say 6-8 teams--then
everyone would win-- based on their managerial skills--isn't that what we are playing for anyway...……..plus
it would sure make for exciting league races--and all pro teams should be of equal chance to win it all...……... :D

Bundy's weakness in managing a team via settings would really be exposed then.

The dude is a great GM, but a terrible manager.
FrosteeTBear

Post by FrosteeTBear »

Wouldn't that be something--all A players--and Bundy coming in last every year--LOL

Return to “Ed ONeill League”