We are Smart............

Discussions for the Ed ONeill League.

Moderators: swope81, ashuran9

FrosteeTBear

We are Smart............

Post by FrosteeTBear »

I see that MLB has finally caught up with the owners in SimD--an article I read explains
that (like Houston) teams are dumping players in favor of draftees and the money they
have to pay out for high priced vets that seldom lead up to their expectations. I expect
more of the same happening in the future...........your thoughts on fans expecting heroes
compared to money spent. Oakland doing it for some time--and Houston parlaying it
into a World Series Championship.............. :D
thatrogue

Re: We are Smart............

Post by thatrogue »

It's interesting that some teams are doing that, while others (Colorado Rockies) have talented youngsters (McMahon, Tapia, Dahl) stuck behind aging veterans (Desmond, CarGo) that the Rockies signed because they were considered relatively cheap. Of course, in some markets, it is less acceptable (due to pressure from the fans and the media), to do a complete teardown ala Houston & Miami in baseball, or Philadelphia in basketball (the 76'ers GM got fired, even though his strategy worked...and Jeter is getting roasted in South Florida). So, I'll be curious to see how teams balance the way they rebuild and public messaging around future tanking efforts.
stahler72

Post by stahler72 »

I would argue that the MLB teams doing this have money as one of the prime reasons. What SD is missing is the salary cap aspect of that equation. We, SD players, do it out of developmental necessity and long term value, not financial reasons. Plus, we don't have fans and media that will roast us for getting rid of all-star caliber players for unknown players. In RL, winning teams sell seats, but all-star players sell seats too.
FrosteeTBear

Post by FrosteeTBear »

True but baseball fans like baseball and Stanton hasn't filled Miami seats so maybe
a bunch of rookies that win--like Houston--might.........and without spending so much
money. I know it doesn't matter to us, but would be willing to bet if we spent 21 million a
year for a pitcher like Matt Cain or 18 million for Tim Lincecum we might try our chances
with Great looking Rookies-huh?

Return to “Ed ONeill League”