Feedback on the JOL Draft Lottery

Discussions for the Jesse Orosco League.

Moderator: klobas2

klobas2

Re: Feedback on the JOL Draft Lottery

Post by klobas2 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:52 pm

allvols wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:58 pm
I dont like it. Wheel draft seems to eliminate the need to tank. Its not perfect but better than this.
The real issue is that our drafts suck in this league for some reason. There is rarely a cant miss guy in the draft and for sure not 5 of them,
Deeper draft classes would allow teams to build without tanking. I think :?
But you yourself have a third round draft pick who has been the starting all-star 1B in your league for four straight years.

There is tons of value beyond the first few picks.

glu24

Post by glu24 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:18 pm

A deeper draft class solves lots of issues but I'm not sure we have any control of that.

Lottery is more interesting then the basic draft and it gives us a reason to check in on the message board.

But if the idea was to change the tanking part of the game, I don't think it's done that or will do that. I also agree that the sample size is still pretty small to K ow for sure.

It's kinda cool that the worst record doesn't get a guarantee of the 1st overall pick.

Overall, the draft system could be better or worse than right now...we are lucky as a league in that way.

The change I would love to see is more trading. I'm really not sure why there isn't more movement but I've had a guy on the block for the last 4 seasons and he hit .344 , .313 and .323....would probably won an MVP if he was on a good team. I've got 1 offer for him in all that time and that's it....plus he's a middle infielder.

I guess my point is, we can't do anything about more active trading, so I was hoping the draft change would result in something better....jury is still out on that but it doesn't seem likely.

Montreal

klobas2

Post by klobas2 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:13 pm

I would imagine a large part of the reason there hasn't been a lot of trading is there are sizable disparities between the haves and have-nots. In a 16-team league there are only about 6 teams that can reasonably expect to make the playoffs each season.

The NL particularly of late has had two teams head and shoulders above the rest.

It's frustrating to me when I make a trade offer and the owner declines but indicates in the comments they would be receptive to a trade but places all the burden of negotiating on me. Make counter-offers. Maybe we can work something out.

I honestly don't check the 'trade desk' often because it's often filled with worthless players...or a player was placed on it 4 years earlier and the owner no longer wishes the deal them.

Morton is definitely a stud and would help a contender. I haven't been in the market for infield help throughout my recent run.

bygmester

Post by bygmester » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:19 pm

"I would imagine a large part of the reason there hasn't been a lot of trading is there are sizable disparities between the haves and have-nots."

I would think a wheel draft would eventually help even that disparity out.

And I've kinda felt the same way about trading as you have Klobas, I try and make trades often and almost never get counter offers. This may be because I'm asking for players who owners don't want to trade but I can't be certain.

-bygmester

chance4103

Post by chance4103 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:41 pm

I think another reason for no trading is very few players to trade for since we play in system 2. Each team can only develop 4 players at a time that's with 5 IC on each one. Then the last few drafts being weak doesn't help much. Rather be system be system 3 or system 5. More players being developed more players to move and easier to rebuild.

Return to “Jesse Orosco League”