Too Many Serviceable Prospects

Discussions for the Dom DiMaggio League.
DeepThreat

Too Many Serviceable Prospects

Post by DeepThreat »

Well, I've reached a new problematic point I never have since the transfer to the new development system a few years back. Due to all the flipping I've done recently, I have more good, young prospects than I have CP slots for. At this point, I have roughly 8 too many serviceable prospects to give any real CP love to, and thus develop as they should be.

So here's the deal. I saw someone else make this offer in another league, and thought it was a pretty good idea. He was offering up a 2-for-1 deal. 2 prospects/young MLBers for either 1 MLB player, 1 prospect of reasonable value, or 1 draft pick of reasonable value. The goal here is to clear up some room for development of other prospects, but to also give some of the guys a good home. Some here have a shot at being All Stars, including some of the prospects if given ample CPs.

Here are the guys I'm offering up (I have also placed them on the trade block):

Young MLBers:
RP Jack Nunnally
RP Tim Healy
RP Elmer Maun

Older MLBers:
1B/LF Rip Voiselle
Utility IF Bill Hinton
3B Tony Kaiser
OF Garvin Foster

Prospects:
1B Frankie Manush
Corner OF/IF Jack Tappan
RP Sam Davis
SP Julio Dolan
RP Neal Pieh
1B Toby Wilson

For the MLB RPs, I would prefer a single strong pitching mentor(A mentor rating or better) or a single 21-22 year-old prospect of similar value.
For the slightly older MLB hitters, I would package any 2-player combination featuring Roiselle and Kaiser for a single 1st round pick or a single 21-22 year-old prospect of similar value. A package of Hinton and Foster, I would be looking for a single 21-22 year-old prospect of similar value, a single 24-25 year-old utility backup of reasonable value, or a single 2nd round pick.
The prospects, I would give up any three for a 1st round pick, any 2 for a single 21-22 prospect of similar value, and any 2 for a second round pick.

Any reasonable offer within this scope will be considered. I am also willing to explore larger packages within the same scope.
spicoli306

Re: Too Many Serviceable Prospects

Post by spicoli306 »

Not trying to add to your misery, DeepThreat, but what did you think was going to happen when you drafted 19-year-old Johnny Clark, 18-year-old Pee-Wee Kelley, 18-year-old Art Oliver, and 18-year-old William Hathaway in the draft?

I rarely have sympathy for owners who have too much young talent in the Minors. I have even less when they continue to make their situation worse and then expect other owners to bail them out.

The reality of the situation is: Rip Voiselle, Bill Hinton, Tony Kaiser, Garvin Foster are not great players. They are players that start on a 100-loss team. Get what you can for them, but don't try to sell us on how they are going to improve any of our rosters by more than a win. Walter Vaughn at least looks good, but I'm hesitant to buy any lead-off hitter with a career OBP of .353.

I'll pass.
DeepThreat

Post by DeepThreat »

Thanks for your input, Spicoli, but I lost a lot of regard for your personal opinion when you called one of the league's top, young catchers (and superior to your own) a backup. Don't worry, I'm sure you will be regretting not trading for Murray within the next couple of seasons as your catching situation worsens. I apologize if my drafting method upsets you. Perhaps next time, I'll let whichever young prospect you were hoping for drop to you.

I'm not looking for your sympathy, nor am I looking for a bail out. I mean, if I really wished to, I could just dump the 5 guys at the bottom of my minors and it would have no affect on my team whatsoever. It's strange that, despite having a crowded minor league roster, I've also managed to get the majority of those guys enough CPs to significantly improve. I do know what I'm doing, and have been doing it for a lot longer than you. There are plenty of owners in this league who have a lack of young talent in their system, and this could be an opportunity to help them as much as myself. Such a shame that you cannot see this.

As for those "not great players", Roiselle and Kaiser are both capable of putting together All Star seasons, and you know it. Even if they do not achieve quite that level of performance, they are still solid pieces that can help most teams in this league. And I would give up BOTH of them for a single 1st rounder. As is, Roiselle and Kaiser would be significant upgrades to half your roster. But you wish to to say they would only amount to 1 win? :lol: Don't try to belittle their value simply because you have burr up your rear. Hinton and Foster both make for high quality utility backups. Heck, Hinton could be a decent starter in a pinch. They are both on sale together for just a 2nd rounder or single prospect similar to either of them. Such a devastating price to pay, isn't it?

The record of their team is irrelevant. I guess the rest of the team had nothing to do with those losses, particularly the lack of pitching. I also suppose, according to your logic here, that players such as Marcel Ozuna, Christian Yelich, Jonathan Schoop all shouldn't have been traded for a quality return last year because they were starters on two of the worst teams in the MLB at the time. No team at all will have interest in Nick Castellanos over the next couple of weeks, because he's a starter on a team destined to lose 100 games (and ironically profiles similarly to Roiselle). Why did the Yankees give up a solid young SP prospect for Edwin Encarnacion a month ago, when he was starting for a team that's likely to lose 100 games? Why is Neil Walker drawing any interest at all in trade rumors right now, while starting for a team that will lose close to 100 games? What an asinine point.

You don't wish to trade for any of these guys? Great, move along. Your opinion isn't necessary.
mhollidaze

Post by mhollidaze »

DeepThreat wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:21 pm You don't wish to trade for any of these guys? Great, move along. Your opinion isn't necessary.
Whoa Tronto!
You do have a lot of experience I will give you that. But the fact that you are using the League Message Board as your personal Trade Desk doesn't give you the right to say who can and cannot respond. Personally I like to see postings on the Message Board and I like to read responses. The fact that someone with an opinion you don't like or agree with is what you lay yourself open to when you post here. You could have PM'd all owners and kept this private as Trades are. I don't always agree with Michael spicoli but he does do a lot of research and I like to read it.

So, keep on posting guys just don't tell us not to respond!

Mike, Seattle Starbucks
historymann49

Post by historymann49 »

A 1st round pick for those "prospects"? No, thanks.

Return to “Dom DiMaggio League”