new hall of fame inductees

Discussions for the Dom DiMaggio League.
maxthesax

new hall of fame inductees

Post by maxthesax »

with a disappointing turnout of 6 managers voting, we have 3 new inductees

voting went as follows:

new inductees:
Tony Gettinger 6/6
Mark Jenkins 4/6
Johnny Dunlap 4/6

also receiving votes:
Bert Coleman 3/6
Pug Conaster 3/6
Jack Weind 1/6

Shortly after the all-star break I will be posting this year's nominees - and hoping for a better turnout.
mhollidaze

Re: new hall of fame inductees

Post by mhollidaze »

Wow, Gettinger made it in unanimously, and deservedly so. But Jenkins and Dunlap made it in by one vote each and Coleman and Conaster missed by one vote each. It was a close race. To bad only 6 of the 12 current owners voted. Lets hope we get more support the next time. A few more votes could have changed everything.

As usual, great job Max and thank you for keeping this up!
spicoli306

Post by spicoli306 »

mhollidaze wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:39 am Wow, Gettinger made it in unanimously, and deservedly so. But Jenkins and Dunlap made it in by one vote each and Coleman and Conaster missed by one vote each. It was a close race. To bad only 6 of the 12 current owners voted. Lets hope we get more support the next time. A few more votes could have changed everything.

As usual, great job Max and thank you for keeping this up!
I was looking at the best relievers of all-time in the DDL.

Here's my personal rankings:
1) Chris Peters - 2.73 ERA (would be good for #4 all-time if 1500 innings pitched had been reached), 1.14 WHIP, #4 all-time in Saves (686), Fireman and AS totals are messed up because of being from the original player pool, his rate stats are more than likely inflated somewhat due to the goofy numbers that occur at the inception of the league
2) Bill Burkhart - #1 all-time in Saves (808), elite ERA (3.06), 8 Firemans, 17 All-Stars, i.e. the safe pick for #1 all-time
3) Gettinger - He was one of the last important pieces of my big rebuild. I don't normally like to spend that high of a pick on a closer, but I knew Gettinger had the initial grades to be a HOF closer. Ended up with the most Fireman (9) of all-time, elite ERA (2.95), but was always more of a steady contributor than the force of nature that the all-time great starting pitchers/batters tend to achieve
4) Nestor Bates - more saves than Gettinger or Peters, but didn't have an elite ERA (3.54) or WHIP (1.30)

I remain conflicted on Jenkins. I didn't put him on my ballot when I very easily could have. He was extremely borderline in my eyes. I definitely don't have any problems with him making it in, just that I think there are a lot of guys that have extremely similar numbers/accomplishments that are on the outside looking in. I'm somewhat biased against the NL, which I hope no owners in the NL take personally. To me, my time in the DDL has consisted of 4 different eras in the NL. When I 1st got here (2003 was my 1st season with CLE), Los Angeles (formerly Chicago) was so good it seemed like every other team had to rebuild regardless of their roster quality. IMO, that is always a bad thing for competition bc it means that a bunch of value is wasted. Following their inevitable decline, Philly/Pittsburgh kind of held a monopoly on things in the NL. Philly did some nice roster building while Pittsburgh tended to get lucky quite a few times with some all-time greats (Frank Reynolds, Buddy Guy), but again the top-heaviness of the league led to more urgency for rebuilding and less for patient team building. The 3rd era involved quite a bit of success out of Atlanta and Brooklyn. This is where Jenkins racked up most of his all-stars as the SS for Atlanta. His overall rate stats were great and 10 AS teams is no easy accomplishment, but I always thought he was less distinguishable when compared to the middle infielders in the AL (guys like my own Ross Bryant or Dorsey Nichols or Mike Sisler or Elmer Moss, Josh McClement as a later example). If anything does put Jenkins over the top, it is his run from 2019 (3rd in MVP) to 2020 (3rd in MVP) to 2021 (2nd in MVP) to 2023 (4th in MVP) to 2024 (3rd in MVP) to 2025 (finally won the thing!).

Very happy to see Dunlap making it! Max developed a good late 1st rounder that I thought was a huge stretch at the time (not only to draft but also as an opportunity cost in developing other prospects). And Mike was able to maximize his value by adding him to his already talented roster. Sometimes, the guys that are contribute to multiple teams are the easiest to root for. Dunlap was an underdog in every sense a piece of code can be.
mhollidaze

Post by mhollidaze »

spicoli "I remain conflicted on Jenkins."

I as well with Coleman. I feel I almost betrayed him, being one of my starters during the end of our run, but having just come back from my hiatus from the league I guess I didn't want to seem like a homer voting for one of my own players. Looking back he was a big part of some of our championships. I may rethink him next ballot, just want to see who he is up against. So far only Gehrig and Minor are my only starters from this team in the Hall. We'll see.

Good points on the RP's Michael.

Return to “Dom DiMaggio League”