Quite the MVP Race in the NL

Discussions for the Dom DiMaggio League.
spicoli306

Quite the MVP Race in the NL

Post by spicoli306 »

I'm partial to my guy Pete Walters, who I'm pretty sure has broken the record for home runs hit by the end of OS24 (112). That said, Eddie Salmon deserves some credit as well. His .677 SLG% is good enough for 3rd all-time for a single season. Hats off to the likely HOFer.
maxthesax

Re: Quite the MVP Race in the NL

Post by maxthesax »

salmon has put up really impressive numbers, in spite of 130 days spent on the shelf with injury. That said, I wonder if the stats in the NL aren't a bit skewed due to the 4 bot managers (interesting argument there, as their continued failures leads to high draft picks, but said draft picks don't seem to translate to dominance on the field).

And speaking of races - the AL has 3 teams all within a game of each other shooting for that 2nd playoff spot.
spicoli306

Re: Quite the MVP Race in the NL

Post by spicoli306 »

maxthesax wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 12:27 pm salmon has put up really impressive numbers, in spite of 130 days spent on the shelf with injury. That said, I wonder if the stats in the NL aren't a bit skewed due to the 4 bot managers (interesting argument there, as their continued failures leads to high draft picks, but said draft picks don't seem to translate to dominance on the field).

And speaking of races - the AL has 3 teams all within a game of each other shooting for that 2nd playoff spot.
You are surely right, Salmon's SLG% being the 3rd best season and his OPS being the 11th best season say much more about the lack of quality pitching in the NL than they do about Salmon's overall abilities as a hitter. When we look at some of these players for HOF induction, I think that will be important info to consider. That being said, since Salmon was facing close to the same pitching as Walters (obviously they didn't face their own team's pitching), I think it is pretty unfair to say a season of .891 OPS is the same quality as a 1.055 OPS. I'm amazed by Walters, and I can't believe how good he's been so early in his simulated career. I would be lying if I didn't think the Health differential wasn't the #1 reason for Walters' MVP.

Congrats to the New York Generals on winning that 3 team race, and ultimately the ALCS over the favorite, Toronto. Good luck tomorrow in the Subway Series.

-Michael

Return to “Dom DiMaggio League”