One Bright Light In Starbucks Season

Discussions for the Dom DiMaggio League.
mhollidaze

One Bright Light In Starbucks Season

Post by mhollidaze »

After being called up in mid June 21 yr old Billy Key has been a stellar rookie. Posting thus far 2.89 era and 1.09 whip. The only down side he hasn’t qualified for innings pitched to be eligible for league leaders. The good news is at 155.2 innings pitched and with the final start of the season coming up against Toronto, he needs 7 good innings to hit 162.2 innings for the year. 1 inning per team game played required. I haven’t calculated it exactly but it looks like he averages 7 innings per start. The future is coming around for the Starbucks!
maxthesax

Re: One Bright Light In Starbucks Season

Post by maxthesax »

compare him to Hartzell of Baltimore who has been an A-,A- since 2030 and has only posted 3 eras in the 3's... and has a career era of nearly 4. For your sake, hope Billy isn't a flash in the pan.
mhollidaze

Post by mhollidaze »

I'm hoping he's more of a Pete Gehrig http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id=11018347
So far they were both No. 1's drafted around the same age and same time in minors. But Key has come out right away strong so you never now, could be a flash in the pan. I'm also looking to bring up Pascual Cypert next season http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=12614762 . At OS 20 I'm looking to keep Greg Infante http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=12799958 down in the minors 1-2 more seasons. But any or all could be bust's but I don't think they will.

And then there is OF Harry Putnam http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=12684395
He's coming up next season for sure! I'm looking for all to be GOAT's (Greatest Of All Time) but I know that's not likely, we'll see.
mhollidaze

Post by mhollidaze »

Well, Billy Key finished the season with a 7 inning 1 hitter in a 0-2 loss, not to bad. Qualified for enough innings and ended the season with league best 1.00 Whip and 3rd best in league 2.88 ERA, not to shabby for a rookie. Finished 4th in AL Rookie of the Year.
spicoli306

Post by spicoli306 »

mhollidaze wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:57 am After being called up in mid June 21 yr old Billy Key has been a stellar rookie. Posting thus far 2.89 era and 1.09 whip. The only down side he hasn’t qualified for innings pitched to be eligible for league leaders. The good news is at 155.2 innings pitched and with the final start of the season coming up against Toronto, he needs 7 good innings to hit 162.2 innings for the year. 1 inning per team game played required. I haven’t calculated it exactly but it looks like he averages 7 innings per start. The future is coming around for the Starbucks!
mhollidaze wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:48 pm I'm hoping he's more of a Pete Gehrig. So far, they were both No. 1's drafted around the same age and same time in minors. But Key has come out right away strong so you never now, could be a flash in the pan.

I'm also looking to bring up Pascual Cypert next season. At OS 20 I'm looking to keep Greg Infante down in the minors 1-2 more seasons. But any or all could be bust's but I don't think they will.

And then there is OF Harry Putnam.
He's coming up next season for sure! I'm looking for all to be GOAT's (Greatest Of All Time) but I know that's not likely, we'll see.
mhollidaze wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:26 pm Well, Billy Key finished the season with a 7 inning 1 hitter in a 0-2 loss, not to bad. Qualified for enough innings and ended the season with league best 1.00 Whip and 3rd best in league 2.88 ERA, not to shabby for a rookie. Finished 4th in AL Rookie of the Year.
Sorry I'm late to the discussion, Mike. Glad to see you got the ROY for Putman! :D

You’ve gotten off to a tough start with some of your early tank-job picks.

1) Rob Smith was your 1st Top Draft Pick in 2029. His stats so far have been really unlucky, especially when you consider his superior skills vs RHP barely amounting to more than a blip. He didn’t look like the greatest player, but he seemed like the smart pick since he wouldn’t take up valuable CP’s in your Minors for more than a year.

Looking back, it might have been best to have gambled on Kengo Nakamura in the hopes of flipping him (still can’t believe he fell to 7). It’s tough to tell who will be the best overall value pick of that 2029 draft. I think 1 of Ray Brooks, Bob Newman, or Jake Roseboro could end up being elite (Roseboro’s 7 All-Stars by 26 is amazing...but RP's true value is handicapped because of their Endurance). That said, they required quite a bit of developing, and Brooks & Newman haven’t even broken through as dominant yet.

Amazingly, the best hitter of the draft might end up being your 3rd round pick, Garey Sundra. His health is a huge impediment, but you might have let a potential All-Star get away. He's one of the few bright spots of L.A.'s current lineup.

2) Picking Vince Koch in 2030 might have really hurt you. I understand why you picked him (age & lack of other options), but the fact that he looks darn-near unplayable is not a good sign in 2038. Those slow sluggers seem to always disappoint. His stats vs LHP had been mind-boggingly bad until last season he finally broke out. That was the one area he was expected to excel at! You might have to dump him to a playoff team that can platoon for him against RHP, as he has been absolutely atrocious in that critical area.

3) Pascual Cypert was the right pick in 2031, and you did the right thing giving him full development in the Minors for 5 years. Personally, I would have brought him up in 2036, but that would have been less to do with Cypert and more to do with McDermott. Unfortunately, even with 6 full seasons in the Minors, Cypert still being at B+/B+ is not where you want an Ace pitcher to be at OS24 (He'd only get to B+/A- after 2037 improves). He still has a chance, but he needs to get luckier in his conversions next year, like Bob Haemer was able to do.

Billy Key, 2037-ROY Harry Putman, Warren McDermott, Possibly 2038-ROY?? Greg Infante, and Link Gibbs do look like a legit core to me though.

Return to “Dom DiMaggio League”