new hall of fame ballot - please take the time to vote

Discussions for the Dom DiMaggio League.
spicoli306

Re: new hall of fame ballot - please take the time to vote

Post by spicoli306 »

maxthesax wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:54 pm thanks for the in depth analysis - very nice! Jimenez had 1 nice year after I traded him but then, when traded again, he faltered big time - whether that was due to not getting any AB's or what, who can remember... still - a very solid performer who should have scored more runs from the lead off position.
"YOU BLEW IT!!!" Or rather Brooklyn did. :lol:

To be fair, Baltimore did get a Rookie of the Year (and near-HOFer in his own right) and a useful starting pitcher in return for the 2 veterans, Jimenez and Ed Garland. Garland is an interesting guy as well. OS34 at the time of the trade (1964); he'd get 1 season at full strength followed by 6 in decline. With Baltimore (1953-1963), his splits were .301 avg, .369 bop, .491 slg, .860 OPS. With Brooklyn (1964-1970), they fell to .272 avg, .349 obp, .409 slg, .758 OPS. Unlike Jimenez, he'd make the HOF the 1st go around, but the contributions that got him there were almost all because of his Baltimore years. Jimenez, sneakily was the #2 guy in that trade (the Robin to Garland's Batman), but would produce much better than one might have expected in 1964-1966 (Jimenez's final seasons before declines started). Of course, Brooklyn repaid Jimenez by jettisoning him to Chicago as soon as he started to struggle.

I think it is likely he was an over-performer relative to his grades. Funnily enough, those types seem to be exactly maxthesax-type of guys (my favs being Chris P. Donut, Larry "choo choo" Track, John Roberts (P.S. was that a real trade? "2001-10-03 A trade has been completed between the Baltimore Bozos and the Oakland Pelicans. The Oakland Pelicans receive Draft Pick 2002 Round 5 BAL (John Smith) from the Baltimore Bozos in exchange for John Roberts."? It would have pre-dated my entrance to the DDL. If so, legendary!), James "goodfoot" Brown, and Steve Clarke). Amazingly, when I wrote about Jimenez, I thought you had drafted/played him, but it looks like that was during the zootmoney-era of Baltimore's history. Do you remember taking over after zootmoney, max? The Baltimore Ownership History has you 1st taking over in 1972, but those pages are notoriously wonky. It's likely you took over in 1961, but the records didn't recognize you for some reason. I've seen those show Dynastybot ownership for seasons they weren't or vice versa. In 1964, the Baltimore nickname was GirlyMen, so if you remember making that change, it was likely that you were at the helm. The Baltimore Stadium history page also mysteriously only goes back to 1972. Could have been something was changed in the database-coding that year to better track things.

Return to “Dom DiMaggio League”