Montreal 11 New York 7

Discussions for the Joe Cronin League.
basilrathbonejr

Montreal 11 New York 7

Post by basilrathbonejr »

Montreal staged a four run rally in the sixth inning to propell the 12-11 Montreal Expos to an 11-7 victory over the last place New York Nets.

Montreal is now 5-0 head to head against New York this season and have won two straight to salve the wounds of losing seven of their last ten games. New York has lost four straight games.

A disgusted Jake Pence, the losing pitcher in the game (1-4), said of his four inning contribution to the game. ''I walked four in the fourth inning....just completely lost the strike zone.....I consider myself lucky to have just given up the two hits (a lead off double to Joe Craig, and a two run single by Ed Perranoski).'' Pence gave up a total of five runs on three hits.

Bob Glynn started a 6-4-3 double-play off the bat of Myron Taber. Pence then struck out pitcher Lenny Gorsica to end the inning.

Montreal lead 5-1 after four innings. The other Montreal run came on Greg Akers second homerun of the season, off Pence in the second inning.

Akers went two for four, scored three runs and drove in three. Akers and Larry Toprocer had run scoring singles in the 5th to increase the lead to 7-1.

Montreal added three more runs in the 6th off Billy Newman and Juan Diering. (10-1).

Lenny Gorsica earned the pitching voctory by going six and one third innings allowing six runs on ten hits walked three and struck out four. Marty Kelly and Larry Thomas finished the game for Montreal after Gorsica tired in the later innings.

New York made the cscore a bit closer by scoring six runs over the final three innings.

Mike Ray had a run scoring double and Duane Tierney a run scoring single in the 6th inning.

Bob Glynn doubled down the laft fiekd line in the 7th and Jim Cohen hit a two run homerun in the 8th and Wes Mizerock homered in the 8th as well.

Joe Craig homered for Montreal in the 8th.

Return to “Joe Cronin League”