HoF - Old Timer's Ballot

Discussions for the Fred Lynn League.
woodpeckers

HoF - Old Timer's Ballot

Post by woodpeckers »

Hi Folks. A couple of you recently asked if it was possible to look backwards towards players that were perhaps deserving to be in the HoF but for whatever reason were overlooked. We can do this if we like. So I am asking, would you like to do this? Here is how it could work.

Each league owner can nominate one player from the past. I place those players on the next ballot along with the previous retirees deemed worthy of being on the ballot like I always do. To keep things simple {so I can keep track properly] I would propose these old timers would be a one and done deal. If they collect 75% of the votes they are in, if not they are out. Rules related to staying on the ballot for four tries would only apply to previous year's retiree class.

I think if eight owners were to say yes to this new idea we can go for it. So, how would you vote?

Thanks - Woody
winkabob

Re: HoF - Old Timer's Ballot

Post by winkabob »

I vote yes for the old fellah's
Michael1

Post by Michael1 »

If I remember correctly I did massive omnibus ballots to get this updated. Most of these guys fell short for whatever reason, mostly high standards from previous owners. I will abstain as I leave in March, just cutting back and I can't sustain the site w/o loopholes in the rules being closed, You have the right ideal one and done but you as commish may need to make a case for each of them based on stats compared to others at the position.
davedaniels

Post by davedaniels »

I'm in. I've looked at the history of the league's stats going back to 1950 season. I see a lot of guys who should get consideration.
davedaniels

Post by davedaniels »

And we should just go ahead and put Henry Benson in now!!!!! What a beast
cubfan

Post by cubfan »

I'm in too, woody
Nightwalker

Post by Nightwalker »

Yes...
YanksGiants2011

Post by YanksGiants2011 »

I vote yes, there are alot of players that have been left out over the years, either overlooked or because of ridiculously high standards by past owners, which I think is evident by the fact that there are only 49 pitchers and 111 total players in the HOF in a league that has been going for 85 seasons.
docjwe3

Post by docjwe3 »

Yes
woodpeckers

Post by woodpeckers »

Hi Everyone. Looks like there is enough interest in an Old Timer"s Ballot to proceed. So here is how I am suggesting we proceed.

Each owner can nominate one player for the Old Timer's Ballot. I recommend you offer up a short explanation as to why you think they are deserving. I will place them on the regular ballot with the newly retired players deserving of recognition. Unlike the four ballot process for newly retired players, the old times will be a one and done deal. The get 75% of the votes, they are in. They get less than 75%, they are out.

Since we are near the end of our season you can start passing along to me your nominations in a private message. I will hold them until the next ballot is ready and place then on that next ballot.

So send me your nominations soon. Thanks - Woody.

Return to “Fred Lynn League”