What Would Willy Do?

Discussions for the Nettles Ruth League.

Moderators: WillyD, thatrogue

thatrogue

Re: What Would Willy Do?

Post by thatrogue »

tm4559 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:33 pm (i am just kind of playing along here for fun. darens knows that threads where we talk about dopey faced fake ball players and how studly and dreamy and ultimately randomly distributed fuckfaced they are makes me want to scratch my own eyeballs out.)
tm4559

Post by tm4559 »

i sent you an offer darens, but i deleted it because it had players in it that were not on your trade block. also i guess i can not in good conscience ship out a bunch of players to someone who does not want to rebuild. you know i like folks that rebuild, they are awesome peoples.

you should rebuild you know, you could put together a team like the swopetastics. i heart you. and i have missed you.

did you know, you would not in fact have a team in this league, if i had not refused to give your team away in the GNL like some folks (dingo) wanted to do when you went AWOL on us. they were serious about that stuff. i told them to stuff it, nobody takes away your team while i had breath in my body. i even groomed your minor league and everything while you were missing. don't ever forget, you have friends. good luck.
thatrogue

Post by thatrogue »

I'd be most happy to ride off into the sunset and rebuild this thing. But then folks like Dwightums and Swopes talk about how unreasonable I am for wanting decent value for my players, and that gets my competitive juices going. So, instead of buying me out and clearing one playoff obstacle, they inspire me to keep going...to see if I can sneak another aging bunch of players into a playoff berth the team earns but doesn't deserve.

And I appreciate you keeping my spot open for me, back when I was traveling & others wanted to cut me off. That was most awesome of you, for sure!

(Of course, as I said when I returned, had they succeeded in persuading you to sell off my old team, I'd have purchased another one at the renewal, built it up from scratch, and kicked the snot out of each of the teams that lobbied for mine to be sold.)
tm4559

Post by tm4559 »

this is why you are loved.
swope81

Post by swope81 »

thatrogue wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:09 pm I'd be most happy to ride off into the sunset and rebuild this thing. But then folks like Dwightums and Swopes talk about how unreasonable I am for wanting decent value for my players

Well, I guess we wait and see if you get that sweetheart deal you've got such a hard on for.
swope81

Post by swope81 »

thatrogue wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:08 pm
swope81 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:37 am
thatrogue wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:17 am I just looked at your minors. That you'd consider any/all of them as an overpay for Vosberg: http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=12777678 & Atz: http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=12777682 is an embarrassment. In the glory days of SimD, someone would easily offer the four best minor leaguers currently on your roster, AND two first round picks, for Vosberg & Atz. And a good owner would have held out for a better offer from another team. LOL :lol:
Exactly why it's hard to trade with you. If they were your prospects you'd want a king's ransom for them. You do it every time. Downgrade everyone else's values and overly inflate yours. I've seen you do it about a billion times now.

And it's not that Vosberg isn't valuable. But good luck getting all that for him.
Okay, since I'm being unreasonable, project it out:

Jim North OS 20 B+/B-: http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=12855257
Projects out to be an excellent RP. It should at least reach A+/A-; A overall. That's a true stud. But, it is a reliever, with very low END (currently D-). RPs historically have a lower trade value than top tier SPs and position players.

Konikowski OS18 C+/C-: http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=12886369
Projects out to be a good RP. It should at least reach A/A-, A+/B+, or A/B+; A- overall. That makes it somewhat similar, but slightly lesser than Jim North.

Jack North OS19: http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=12870724
So it's currently B+/C- vs RHP; A/C vs LHP. This could be a really nice contact hitter, EXCEPT that it currently has D+ SPD. Yeah, it should get to A+/B or A+/B+ vs RHP and A+/B+ or A+/B- vs LHP...but the SPD will probably only get to B, which lowers the expected OBPs to the .340 - .360 range with little power. That's certainly useful...but nothing to get overly excited about.

J Davis OS20: http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=12855321
Currently C-/B vs RHP; D/B- vs LHP with A- SPD. Worst case projection is B-/A vs RHP; C+/A- vs LHP with A SPD, and the upside is B/A+ vs RHP; C+/A vs LHP with A+ SPD. The A in the Bunt category will improve the OBP, so if it hits the upside, it should be a useful player vs RHP.
Pretty much proves my point. See how every prospect evaluation has a 'but' in there. 'Buuuuut he's a reliever', ,'sliiightly less than', 'iiiifff it hits it's upside', 'buuuut my ass hurts', etc etc.
thatrogue

Post by thatrogue »

swope81 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:02 pm
thatrogue wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:09 pm I'd be most happy to ride off into the sunset and rebuild this thing. But then folks like Dwightums and Swopes talk about how unreasonable I am for wanting decent value for my players

Well, I guess we wait and see if you get that sweetheart deal you've got such a hard on for.
I'm not looking for a sweetheart deal. I'm just looking for fair value. And, if I don't get fair value, I'm happy riding it out and letting those players remain on my team until retirement. That's much better than giving them away for less than fair value.

It's funny how the person who believes that lesser prospects are too much to trade for great players has the audacity to type the words "...wait and see if you get that sweetheart deal...". When you're looking to trade lesser for greater, that's the very definition of a sweetheart deal. LOL
thatrogue

Post by thatrogue »

swope81 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:06 pm
thatrogue wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:08 pm
swope81 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:37 am

Exactly why it's hard to trade with you. If they were your prospects you'd want a king's ransom for them. You do it every time. Downgrade everyone else's values and overly inflate yours. I've seen you do it about a billion times now.

And it's not that Vosberg isn't valuable. But good luck getting all that for him.
Okay, since I'm being unreasonable, project it out:

Jim North OS 20 B+/B-: http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=12855257
Projects out to be an excellent RP. It should at least reach A+/A-; A overall. That's a true stud. But, it is a reliever, with very low END (currently D-). RPs historically have a lower trade value than top tier SPs and position players.

Konikowski OS18 C+/C-: http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=12886369
Projects out to be a good RP. It should at least reach A/A-, A+/B+, or A/B+; A- overall. That makes it somewhat similar, but slightly lesser than Jim North.

Jack North OS19: http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=12870724
So it's currently B+/C- vs RHP; A/C vs LHP. This could be a really nice contact hitter, EXCEPT that it currently has D+ SPD. Yeah, it should get to A+/B or A+/B+ vs RHP and A+/B+ or A+/B- vs LHP...but the SPD will probably only get to B, which lowers the expected OBPs to the .340 - .360 range with little power. That's certainly useful...but nothing to get overly excited about.

J Davis OS20: http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=12855321
Currently C-/B vs RHP; D/B- vs LHP with A- SPD. Worst case projection is B-/A vs RHP; C+/A- vs LHP with A SPD, and the upside is B/A+ vs RHP; C+/A vs LHP with A+ SPD. The A in the Bunt category will improve the OBP, so if it hits the upside, it should be a useful player vs RHP.
Pretty much proves my point. See how every prospect evaluation has a 'but' in there. 'Buuuuut he's a reliever', ,'sliiightly less than', 'iiiifff it hits it's upside', 'buuuut my ass hurts', etc etc.
I challenge you. Tell me which of those prospects project as great players. Tell me which of them are difference makers on playoff caliber teams. Show me which of those hitters that I pointed out are likely to have a career .950+ OPS. Or which of those pitchers are likely to reach 2,500 IP with less than a 1.25 WHIP & 3.50 ERA.

You know which player has no "ifs", "slightly less than", or "buts"? The one that is A/A+ vs RHP, A+/A vs LHP with A- SPD & A- Health at OS30. Don't get bothered that your current prospects are a combination of decent & mediocre, rather than great. We all go through cycles like that. But don't expect me to ignore that fact and pretend that they are awesome. Variable development might help one or two of them get to awesome...but that's not how they project as of now.
DwightKSchrute

Post by DwightKSchrute »

thatrogue wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:09 pm I'd be most happy to ride off into the sunset and rebuild this thing. But then folks like Dwightums and Swopes talk about how unreasonable I am for wanting decent value for my players, and that gets my competitive juices going. So, instead of buying me out and clearing one playoff obstacle, they inspire me to keep going...to see if I can sneak another aging bunch of players into a playoff berth the team earns but doesn't deserve.
This happens like every. single. rebuild. in the GNL since I've been around. Makes me laugh every time.
thatrogue

Post by thatrogue »

DwightKSchrute wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:35 pm
thatrogue wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:09 pm I'd be most happy to ride off into the sunset and rebuild this thing. But then folks like Dwightums and Swopes talk about how unreasonable I am for wanting decent value for my players, and that gets my competitive juices going. So, instead of buying me out and clearing one playoff obstacle, they inspire me to keep going...to see if I can sneak another aging bunch of players into a playoff berth the team earns but doesn't deserve.
This happens like every. single. rebuild. in the GNL since I've been around. Makes me laugh every time.
In the past, I've sold my fair share of veterans for prospects & picks to jump start a rebuild. It is incredibly difficult to win the renewal without doing so.

Return to “Nettles Ruth League”