Is there a reason why some teams have over 15 minor leaguers?

Discussions for the Santo Rodriguez League.

Moderator: Leonard

Johngarm70u

Is there a reason why some teams have over 15 minor leaguers?

Post by Johngarm70u »

I can understand going one or two over with a full minors but a few teams have 20-25. Just curious if you know it is hurting your players improvement chances? Some of those players deserve to be cut.
jzirker

Re: Is there a reason why some teams have over 15 minor leaguers?

Post by jzirker »

For me, there are a lot of years where I don't have enough quality youngsters who are young enough to develop into anything great anyway, AND I have some aging vets on the big league club. So I keep a few older minor leaguers who can be promoted when the old guys retire. I will sometimes target a position and have an 18-20yo guy, a previously developed 22-25yo guy, and a decent vet/mentor 28-30 who can get promoted for a retired guy. I know it's against the 'math' but I don't get trying to develop a 18-19yo pitcher with D- control, in favor of a 22-23yo with B-. They're likely to end up the same player anyway, so I'd rather have major league roster options than development wasted on that D- guy.
Johngarm70u

Re: Is there a reason why some teams have over 15 minor leaguers?

Post by Johngarm70u »

jzirker wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:09 am For me, there are a lot of years where I don't have enough quality youngsters who are young enough to develop into anything great anyway, AND I have some aging vets on the big league club. So I keep a few older minor leaguers who can be promoted when the old guys retire. I will sometimes target a position and have an 18-20yo guy, a previously developed 22-25yo guy, and a decent vet/mentor 28-30 who can get promoted for a retired guy. I know it's against the 'math' but I don't get trying to develop a 18-19yo pitcher with D- control, in favor of a 22-23yo with B-. They're likely to end up the same player anyway, so I'd rather have major league roster options than development wasted on that D- guy.
Sounds fair. I just saw it with several owners and didn't k ow if I was missing something.

Return to “Santo Rodriguez League”