New helmet builder

Admin
Site Admin

New helmet builder

Post by Admin »

When my brain starts getting fried on code, I switch to graphics for a bit. I have rebuilt the helmet generating code to use more realistic lighting and redid all the face asks. There are now twice as many colors for everything, including some metallic helmets. Also, the interface should work on mobile now.

Chris
To help us serve you better, please use the support system for all questions or problems. PMs should NEVER be used. The Support system is always read before PMs.
Cueball899

Re: New helmet builder

Post by Cueball899 »

I like the graphics and how the overall look of the helmet design page looks.

Could we also get all of the NFL team logos or is there a copyright issue? Or maybe some new logos?

Thank you for time and work you are putting into the football side. I really appreciate it and I know when all these updates are put in place it will go along way into getting more user's playing Sim Dynasty.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Trademark issues. I can't even use real college names which is why all the colleges have slightly funky names. Clearly some are supposed to be reminiscent of NFL logos, like the tower , animal stripes, tri-star and spiral.

The most difficult part of logos is just that they are time consuming I either have to draw them from scratch or track down logos that I am sure I have legal rights to use. Even the basic helmet shape and lighting pattern are from a photo I had to get a license for. Some logos are already too close for comfort, like the "blue star" (but how do you make a simple star NOT look like the Dallas logo?). We had a few donated by one of the earliest football owners. But most "clip art" or existing logos on the Internet are off limits, and a lot of the ones that I can get are either lame (the earliest team logos here fall into that category) or costly (even a relatively cheap $50 license per logo adds up quickly).

I added 5 logos in this update: a cat head (based on the Le Chat Noir logo from the 1800s and extracted from my own painting), a skull (sans lower jaw), (another) bull head, a bomb, and a pair of crossed swords. Two versions of each need to be created, one for light helmets and one for dark (often just with an appropriate border around it). I think it took over an hour for those 5 logos between tracking them down, verifying the licenses, formatting them for the site, adding them to the database and code, and testing. It's only 10-15 minutes per but that time adds up fast. It's more time if I draw it myself, especially since by the time I get done I decide it's not good enough and discard it.

But I agree we need many more. If I add just 2 or 3 a week, that's over a hundred new logos in a year, and we only have 180ish now.
To help us serve you better, please use the support system for all questions or problems. PMs should NEVER be used. The Support system is always read before PMs.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Here are the top 30 team names in use on the site, starting with the most popular:

Sharks
Patriots
Colts
Cardinals
Eagles
Packers
Panthers
Broncos
Lions
Jets
Wolves
Raiders
Reapers
Stars
Giants
Cowboys
Falcons
Bears
Trojans
Pirates
Dragons
Steelers
Gamblers
Knights
Storm
Hawks
Outlaws
Bandits
Chargers
Seahawks

Return to “Football Beta Testing/Development”