Position Change

Cueball899

Position Change

Post by Cueball899 »

I have been using the position change for a few seasons. I've made several position changes. As far as I can tell it works flawless. I do have a few question's though.

The player below was drafted as a guard. I changed him to a center. His position says center but on his player card it says C/G in the upper right corner. Should it also say C/G in the full roster page or just on the player card? Also if he played guard would he get a execution penalty or can he play guard and center with no penalty? If I changed his position to LT would his player card say LT/C/G?

http://footballbeta.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id=746783
shbo2

Re: Position Change

Post by shbo2 »

I just noticed a safety to LB switch doesn't seem to happen.
Cueball899

Post by Cueball899 »

Was he trained as a LB and started the whole year. I forgot what the play time requirements are. I need to dig them up.

I try it on my team and see if it works for me.
Cueball899

Post by Cueball899 »

- Position changes: I am not going to make this a big drawn out system. Basically the role you play a player in most becomes his position next season. Position drills will probably also be relevant here, and players will take an Execution hit in the change based on how unnatural the change is but Execution will recover so they will only be at a disadvantage for, say, a quarter or half season (and preseason play will count). Players previous position will become their secondary position (or if they almost but didn't quite get to a position change threshold they get a secondary position). I really don't want players to have a rating at every position like baseball, just a primary and a secondary. Their salary will be based on the HIGHER of their primary or secondary position (to reduce abuse).

Posted by Admin

Doesn't really say he needs to start but I would assume the player starting all season would have a better chance of position change.
Cueball899

Post by Cueball899 »

- Players will now change position if played out of position more than being played in position. This will affect their salary, as it will be based on the higher of the two positions (to keep this feature from being abused).
shbo2

Post by shbo2 »

Cueball899 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:52 am Was he trained as a LB and started the whole year. I forgot what the play time requirements are. I need to dig them up.

The guy I referring to played the whole season as my middle linebacker but I had him on DE position training. I switched that to ILB position training so we'll see how that works out.

I'm guessing certain position switches have to be both playing time and position training because this guy
http://footballbeta.simdynasty.com/play ... laytab=pos
has been playing LB for 10 seasons but on FS position training and never switched.
Cueball899

Post by Cueball899 »

shbo2 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:03 pm
Cueball899 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:52 am Was he trained as a LB and started the whole year. I forgot what the play time requirements are. I need to dig them up.

The guy I referring to played the whole season as my middle linebacker but I had him on DE position training. I switched that to ILB position training so we'll see how that works out.

I'm guessing certain position switches have to be both playing time and position training because this guy
http://footballbeta.simdynasty.com/play ... laytab=pos
has been playing LB for 10 seasons but on FS position training and never switched.
He sure has put in the time. Admin did not say anything about position training that I saw but I assume that is a key part of position training.

I also am training and playing a SS as a LB to see if it works. Also training a FS as aCB. I suppose I should try every realistic position change.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Doing it with position training was originally my plan but I was afraid it could be abused. So right now position training increases attributes important to the selected position but does not actually help change the position.

Part of the point of position changes is for players to get paid properly, so if you regularly play a cheap player out of position for a normally more expensive position, he will change positions (and salary) over the offseason. With position training you could theoretically counteract that and keep him out of position.

Maybe the best answer is for position training to only count toward position changes for inactive players.
To help us serve you better, please use the support system for all questions or problems. PMs should NEVER be used. The Support system is always read before PMs.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Cueball899 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:55 pm The player below was drafted as a guard. I changed him to a center. His position says center but on his player card it says C/G in the upper right corner. Should it also say C/G in the full roster page or just on the player card?
I am sure I don't have it updated everywhere it should be yet.
Also if he played guard would he get a execution penalty or can he play guard and center with no penalty?
He'd have a 20% execution penalty at G rather than the normal 50%.

Side note: Part of the reason the out of position penalties are so high is because there was no other way to differentiate. You could put a punter in as a guard and if he happened to have the blocking skills he could succeed. In reality, no matter how good a punter was at getting in the way of a DE or DT, he'd still get flattened.

Now that we have height and weight (the sim still doesn't use them yet, I'm working on it), each player has a physical type appropriate to their position, which will be an effective penalty on its own.

Now, you may be thinking, "Wait, doesn't a 95 Run Block mean 95 for everyone? Skill is skill, right?" In this case, the 95 represents the ability to get between the defender and the ball carrier or QB, the technicality of where and how to hit the other player, etc. But once the bodies make contact, physics takes over. So when two bodies of different masses come together, they rebound from that collision according to their mass. For example, if you throw a marble at a basketball, the force the marble impacts on the basketball is identical to the force the basketball impacts on the marble; however, the marble has far less mass so its acceleration vector will be far higher than the acceleration vector on the basketball, which will hardly move at all (Newton's second law). Timothy Gay's Football Physics: The Science of the Game has a 25-page chapter just on blocks and tackles.

In simple terms as the simulation sees it, the blocking skill controls the angle of incidence of the force, where 0 (head on) means 100% of the force is applied to the collision, and higher angles may just deflect a defender without lowing him down much.

An example from the book is Warren Sapp (310 pounds) putting a hit on Doug Flutie (180 pounds) (it's a 2004 book). Sapp is moving into the pocket at a speed of 24 feet per second, while Flutie, happily oblivious to imminent disaster, is standing still. Sapp brings 310 pounds times 24 feet per second (7440 pounds*ft/sec of force) to the party. The angle is 0, so each player receives an equal amount of the force and the total momentum is conserved. Flutie isn't moving, so Sapp's velocity times the difference in mass, divided by the sum of the mass, gives his resulting speed: 6ft/sec. Solving the other direction for the momentum received by Flutie (who again is bringing no momentum to the party) is Sapp's mass times velocity times 2 divided by the sum of the mass, so Flutie is propelled backward at 31ft/sec. Ouch.
If I changed his position to LT would his player card say LT/C/G?

http://footballbeta.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id=746783
No. Each player has a primary and a possible secondary position, so if he changed to LT he'd be a T/C (LT is a role, not a position), and his G penalty would be the full penalty of a T playing G (50%). Of course, playing a season at G would return his skills to 100% once he changed to G/T, and the extra skills he picked up as a center two seasons ago are lost as all of his practice and game time are as T or G.
To help us serve you better, please use the support system for all questions or problems. PMs should NEVER be used. The Support system is always read before PMs.
Cueball899

Post by Cueball899 »

shbo2 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:13 pm I just noticed a safety to LB switch doesn't seem to happen.
Well, I tried to change a SS to LB and it don't work as well.

FS to CB, did not work.

WR to RB did not work as well.

They all trained for their new position and played most of their time at new position but all where not starters.

Return to “Football Beta Testing/Development”