Other changes on my list

Admin
Site Admin

Other changes on my list

Post by Admin »

Changes that are on my shortlist but for which the code is not yet written:

- Revamp the salary system. the salary system uses some complex math to try to force a salary curve similar to real life. However, depending on how the talent distribution falls, salaries can get really weird, and tend to get depressed to where the salary cap is meaningless. I think I ma going to change this to a simple lookup table based on real life salaries: the top QB gets a salary similar to the real life top QB, the second gets the second salary, etc. With modifications of course. This change will likely be unpopular as it will suddenly make the salary cap much more relevant.

- Position changes: I am not going to make this a big drawn out system. Basically the role you play a player in most becomes his position next season. Position drills will probably also be relevant here, and players will take an Execution hit in the change based on how unnatural the change is but Execution will recover so they will only be at a disadvantage for, say, a quarter or half season (and preseason play will count). Players previous position will become their secondary position (or if they almost but didn't quite get to a position change threshold they get a secondary position). I really don't want players to have a rating at every position like baseball, just a primary and a secondary. Their salary will be based on the HIGHER of their primary or secondary position (to reduce abuse).

- Live draft: I'd like to make the first 3 or 4 rounds of the amateur draft live. Basically when your time on the clock is up, whoever is at the top of your draft list is taken, but you can adjust your draft list and even trade draft picks during the draft. (Wondering if this can be abused.)

- Realign preview/modification. The Commish would be able to see what a realignment would do to the league, and would be able to rearrange the alignment. Some concerns have been raised that this could be problematic or abusive; I'm testing this (manually) with a league right now and if it causes issues I'll scrap it.

- Timeout changes: I need to get the new timeout settings into the game code.

- Cache injuries: Right now, all data from a quarter is cached in server memory except player injuries, which are written to the database immediately. Thus, if a quarter fails, the stats and play by play are rolled back but injuries are not. This needs to be fixed.

- Quarterback scrambling: I'd like good quarterbacks to be able to scramble out of sacks. Right now it's just assumed that some plays are scrambles, but I need to make it explicit. This depends on the next change....

- Unified ball carry code: Right now running plays, passing plays, and kick returns are completely separate sections of code. This is why, for example, there are no fumbles on passing plays and tackles aren't recorded properly. This is also why a scramble doesn't currently happen, because it requires a way for a passing play to turn into a running play. This will also add the possibility of option plays.

- Short yardage defense: The hooks are in the code but for weird technical reasons it also depends on the unified ball carry code.

- Player cards: I want to indicate some of the calculated attributes on player cards to make it more clear how players differ.

- Player height and weight: I originally didn't include this as I thought of it as "fluff" but it would give each player a body type, so you couldn't just take a 250 pound TE with good blocking skills and make him a guard, he'd get run over. (Still analyzing if this is worth the effort.)

There is a TON of other stuff I want to do (playbooks, more plays, more stats, free agency, scouting, etc) but this is the short list of things that are needed or already have code/hooks/research in place.

Chris
To help us serve you better, please use the support system for all questions or problems. PMs should NEVER be used. The Support system is always read before PMs.

Return to “Football Beta Testing/Development”