Extra FG kicked in OT

cjisboss

Extra FG kicked in OT

Post by cjisboss »

Hi Chris. Noticed in Zeta football league that an extra FG was kicked in OT by Chicago Justice against my team Sacramento Lemmings. In OT, Chicago got the ball and ended up kicking a FG. Chicago then kicked off and my team couldn't move the ball past their own 22. Game should be over but Chicago then kicked another FG from my 22. Didn't make any difference in the outcome but thought you might want to know.

cjisboss
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Extra FG kicked in OT

Post by Admin »

I'll check it out.

Chris
To help us serve you better, please use the support system for all questions or problems. PMs should NEVER be used. The Support system is always read before PMs.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Hmm, I can't see what's happened.

Here's what happens:

- The game logic runs in a big loop that continues until time has expired or a flag called DoSuddenDeath is set.
- DoSuddenDeath gets turned on if the score is not tied and either team scores a touchdown, or a turnover has occurred and both teams have had at least one possession.

So up in the middle of the logic somewhere, the field goal routine is called, and it fails. This sets the DoTurnover flag. We know this happened, because the ball changed possession.

Near the end of the loop, it checks to see if it is overtime (true), the score is not tied (true), both teams have had possession (should be true), and either a turnover (true) or a scoring play (false) has occurred.

Then the end of the loop hits. The loop instruction says the loop continues if, at the end of the loop, there is still time on the clock(true) (or we're doing a 2-point conversion(false)) AND DoTurnover is not set (false). Since both conditions are false, the loop should fall through, ending the quarter. Since this is an overtime quarter, the GameOver flag is set. Some housekeeping is done and processing ends.

The only thing I can imagine is that the "had possession" flags are not getting set for both teams. However, as soon as each team starts a scrimmage play, that flag should get set.
To help us serve you better, please use the support system for all questions or problems. PMs should NEVER be used. The Support system is always read before PMs.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

And of course this is a rare situation, I went through every Zeta game for which box scores are still available (they get purged eventually) and the situation of a team scoring a field goal in their first possession that the other team doesn't answer in their possession doesn't occur in any of them.

Chris
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

While searching the database, though, I did find this interesting nugget: On the main game server, there have been four games that ended in a 2-0 score. (It's happened five times in the NFL. But we've played a lot more games than they have.)

There have been 11 games where a team has had a final score of 4. That's only happened in the NFL once, in 1923.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

And while I'm looking, the biggest blowout was a 115-7 game in the VLFL. That 115 points is the current score record in the sim. The sim at one time couldn't store a score higher than 127, so if a team reached 120 points, it would fumble on every possession. This has since been fixed.
cjisboss

Post by cjisboss »

Thanks for looking into this Chris. Your loop logic looks sound so I don't know what happened. As I said, it didn't make any difference in the outcome of this game. I would imagine this happens so rarely (if ever before) that at this point it doesn't make much sense spending more time on it. Again, thanks for looking at this and for the other factual tidbits you mentioned.

cjisboss
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Well it is still wrong and I need to know why. If there is one extra play in this situation, the odds of it changing the game are super slim; the offense (who is in the lead by 3) would have to fumble or throw an interception which the other team would have to run in for a TD. I suppose I could detect the situation (am I on offense and ahead in overtime? Something is wrong) and call for a kneel as a failsafe.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

No, the problem is more severe. Take a look at the OT in this game:

http://football.simdynasty.com/boxscore ... eid=547665
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Another: http://football.simdynasty.com/boxscore ... eid=547042

The pattern seems to be that if the team with first possession scores a field goal, the game doesn't end until there is a turnover after a kick. Turnovers on downs aren't detected. So something is clearing the turnover flag before it makes it to that check.

Chris

Return to “Football Beta Testing/Development”